Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moodyb1

The old Shay

but it was our ****hole, and I still have many fond memories.

don't forget that at that time, a lot of other grounds were pretty dreadful too

Indeed Steve when this pic was taken Nethermoor had cattle grazing on it, a cow****hole!

Indeed Steve when this pic was taken Nethermoor had cattle grazing on it, a cow****hole!

TBF, that could have been yesterday :lol:

Thats just how it was when I first started going down and as I could not compare it to anything else for me it was great. Happy days.

Thats just how it was when I first started going down and as I could not compare it to anything else for me it was great. Happy days.

Agree. I started going down in the mid-eighties when the Skircoat was half standing and half wooden bench seats. A cloud of pipe smoke hung over the crowd, especially during cold winter night matches. I can still smell the tobacco. All those fans are gone now - mainly due to smoking!

aye halcyon days indeed, the big walk down and up the steps from skircoat road

I always love when these threads come around, because I suddenly don't feel as old as others. :D

My first games at the Shay were around 96, and while it may not have been great, I don't remember it being as bad as the pictures - and as a ten year old it was more than an acceptable ground for me :D

All I really remember to be fair was that half the Skircoat was still standing at that time (towards the North Stand), and the push to the front of the crowd when we scored - and sneaking a crafty fag without being spotted while stood in a crowd :D Paddys Tuck Shop at the top of the Skircoat, and feeling like you had a kings ransom when you'd handed your 50p over. Happy days!

I have vague memories of a wooden shed area in the opposite East Stand in the corner furthest away from the standing Skircoat, and loads of crash barriers behind the South stand, and being able to see the buses behind, but it was brilliant to me as a kid.

is that you looking behind you in the third picture? ;)

Absolutely. When football was football and personally I didn't care about who owned the club and what they were up to.

Looks to be the post speedway era.

Prior to these pictures being taken, the corners (about 5 yards in) used to be lumps of turf sat on pallets which moved every time someone ran over them or tried to take a corner. Lethal! They were then taken up to smooth the corners for the speedway, but the track was later re-shaped to what you see in the pictures.

Great pictures. my memories were of a ground surrounded by tree and the entrance at Skircoat Road and the tunnel under the road. When I was a boy in the 50s the Skircoat stand was to me terrific. The atmosphere was burning. I was taken to Leeds and Huddersfield but for me they were places without soul infact a few Leeds and Huddersfield fans I new preferred watching town because of the vibs that they didn’t experience at their home town stadiums

Great pictures. my memories were of a ground surrounded by tree and the entrance at Skircoat Road and the tunnel under the road. When I was a boy in the 50s the Skircoat stand was to me terrific. The atmosphere was burning. I was taken to Leeds and Huddersfield but for me they were places without soul infact a few Leeds and Huddersfield fans I new preferred watching town because of the vibs that they didn’t experience at their home town stadiums

It's still the same today :lol:

I do feel there is a stronger connection between Town fans than most other clubs. There is at times a very dark kind of gallows humour and optimism within the ground at times, and that probably stems from years of plodding along fighting against the odds.

With the likes of Huddersfield and Leeds, they draw more than us in crowds, and have seem success and good times a hell of a lot more than we have. I suppose supporting one of those would be just as contagious as we find supporting Town, but they hardly have that same sort of experience of negativeness as we do, and their fan base is likely to change going on their success.

We tend to have a stronger smaller tight knit group that have seen it all, and felt every emotion. That manifests itself at times and is a powerful bond. When our crowd are on form, we are a frightful beast - just ask the Lancaster City lads :lol:

Looks to be the post speedway era.

Prior to these pictures being taken, the corners (about 5 yards in) used to be lumps of turf sat on pallets which moved every time someone ran over them or tried to take a corner. Lethal! They were then taken up to smooth the corners for the speedway, but the track was later re-shaped to what you see in the pictures.

A couple of Courier photos from 1970

171970-71ShaydesignOct1970.jpg

16AlteringcornersofpitchOct1970.jpg

'And this is how it will look'. So when finished did it have a dashed white line all the way around it? ;)

I see a young Terence was involved with the speedway even back then.

Working hard ( ! ) on one of the 'controversial corners'.