How deep in the mire is the game of RL

JRW

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No reason why Fax should go belly up. The £48k p.a. rent, or whatever it is Fax are meant to pay is pittance against the prize money they won a year ago. Unless of course the money

The thing is IT'S NOT THE ****ING PAST is it? They're STILL ****ING AT IT. It's like having neighbours for years who acted as though they were better than you. They let their cat **** on your lawn and

Being called a pub team by supporters of a club that could travel to 90% of their own team's away games with a Trans-Pennine day return ticket. Somewhere out there is a tree working extremely hard to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

For the record, I loved the atmosphere of thrum hall but it was a shocking dump. 

I agree. 

I remember my 12 year old self standing outside the pavilion patting the players on the back as they made their way onto the pitch in the corner. 

A shithole for sure, but a special atmosphere reeked in history. 

7 hours ago, Stasi Pants said:

I agree. 

I remember my 12 year old self standing outside the pavilion patting the players on the back as they made their way onto the pitch in the corner. 

A shithole for sure, but a special atmosphere reeked in history. 

Taverners bar,ankle deep in piss toilets,scratching shed...sadly missed..:(

11 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

Taverners bar,ankle deep in piss toilets,scratching shed...sadly missed..:(

I remember that Wakefiled game. Scratching shed packed to the rafters with inebriated men decked in blue and white repeatedly howling out Haaalliifaxxx Haaalliifaxxx Haaalliifaxxx!!!! , that Shed won the day although some credit goes to the players.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016‎ ‎21‎:‎34‎:‎27, greygoose said:
19 hours ago, Guido said:

Don't suppose you could remind them Bubba that Brighouse Sports Club are still waiting for their cheque :P

I hear they are getting a new club based there. Toronto wolfpack.

9 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:
9 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

I remember that Wakefiled game. Scratching shed packed to the rafters with inebriated men decked in blue and white repeatedly howling out Haaalliifaxxx Haaalliifaxxx Haaalliifaxxx!!!! , that Shed won the day although some credit goes to the players.

Fantastic day,drop goal frenzy,remember Banham's flag it simply said F.O Wekfield..:lol:

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016‎ ‎21‎:‎34‎:‎27, greygoose said:
2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

What a joke.

Whats the point though? Even if they become the Super League champions in a few years no one in canada will care and they will surely be running at a loss ferrying Hunslet and the likes over every other week. Whats the end result for them? 

agree, think its all about those in charge getting bigger wage packets.

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Just read about this Toronto thing in the Echo then checked the date and amazed to find that they've moved April 1st to 22nd September

It's flat out bizarre.

For years the London clubs and the French clubs have been given special dispensation to let them compete, then we have the RL Board bending over backwards to save the Bulls and have them buy out the ground etc... now this.

I know the idiots running football aren't much better, but it shows how bad the Rugby lot are that we can laugh at some of the decisions they are making. Both sports are run by complete idiots and money is slowly ruining both games, but it looks like Rugby to me is pretty much done as a sport with some of these changes.

On 20/09/2016, 18:18:01, Greg Florimos Boots said:

The stadium should bring in enough income to more than cover the upkeep. The problem is the council do not know how to run it to bring in that income which is why under the current leadership it is always destined to fail.

Good Luck finding a stadium of a similar standard for a lesser rent.

As far as the Council are concerned, yes they should generate more income from the stadium, but that would surely be used to reduce or eliminate the deficit first before any reductions could be made in the "commercial" rent.

This is just another Steele smokescreen which sadly the rugby supporters are falling for, but I doubt it will panic the council into reducing the rent to "keep" them which is what the smokescreen is all about. Dream on Greg, I'm afraid your stuck with the Shay, FCHT, Calderdale Council and its stadium "managers". (And also Steele and his gang who are seriously harming your club, and you keep on applauding all they do).

11 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Good Luck finding a stadium of a similar standard for a lesser rent.

As far as the Council are concerned, yes they should generate more income from the stadium, but that would surely be used to reduce or eliminate the deficit first before any reductions could be made in the "commercial" rent.

This is just another Steele smokescreen which sadly the rugby supporters are falling for, but I doubt it will panic the council into reducing the rent to "keep" them which is what the smokescreen is all about. Dream on Greg, I'm afraid your stuck with the Shay, FCHT, Calderdale Council and its stadium "managers". (And also Steele and his gang who are seriously harming your club, and you keep on applauding all they do).

There seems to be some confusion as I do not seem to remember saying anything about reducing rents as a result of more money coming in to the stadium, that is a whole other issue. What I were trying to say is that the stadium should not be run at a loss and should be generating a hell of a lot more income than it currently does.

As I also mentioned, its sad but we really do not need a stadium of a similar standard and lets face it both teams are probably about 5k supporters short of needing the stadium we currently have. Both teams are going nowhere fast.

14 minutes ago, Greg Florimos Boots said:

There seems to be some confusion as I do not seem to remember saying anything about reducing rents as a result of more money coming in to the stadium, that is a whole other issue. What I were trying to say is that the stadium should not be run at a loss and should be generating a hell of a lot more income than it currently does.

As I also mentioned, its sad but we really do not need a stadium of a similar standard and lets face it both teams are probably about 5k supporters short of needing the stadium we currently have. Both teams are going nowhere fast.

where's your ambition man or has the rugby broken you.Although we currently attract sub 2k crowds it's great that the stadium can hold loads more for potential cup ties eg Bradford couple of years ago and we hope to reach the football league again eventually and don't have to go through the rigmaral of ground not fit for purpose.Rugby fans should be looking towards super league again and the related crowds and facilities that it would attract.

1 hour ago, eddies mate said:

where's your ambition man or has the rugby broken you.Although we currently attract sub 2k crowds it's great that the stadium can hold loads more for potential cup ties eg Bradford couple of years ago and we hope to reach the football league again eventually and don't have to go through the rigmaral of ground not fit for purpose.Rugby fans should be looking towards super league again and the related crowds and facilities that it would attract.

In all honesty I do not think our crowds would make a massive jump if we got back in to SL. Even when we finished 3rd our average was only about the 5k mark.

3 hours ago, Greg Florimos Boots said:

Earlier in the thread, in response to a few people pointing out that £48k per annum rent is pittance to cover what you actually get at The Shay, you said that the Council could do more to ensure the stadium brings in enough money to be self-sustaining.  Quite naturally it was presumed that you meant that your rent could be reduced if the Council did a better job of promoting the stadium.

Now you're saying they are two separate issues.

In which case, I reiterate that £48k per annum rent is pittance to cover what you actually get at The Shay.  "But we don't need a nice stadium like The Shay", I hear you cry.  "We need a pokey stadium in Keighley for our dwindling fan base" (which will only dwindle further if you move).

Keighley will want to be paid rent.  Will this really be substantially less than £48k?  I doubt it.  You might save £10k a year?  £20k perhaps? - I honestly have no idea.  But you'll have less money coming through the gates and undoubtedly just as little control over the money you can make from the stadium itself.  Plus I'm positive that sponsorship and marketing revenues are helped by playing at a stadium of The Shay's standards.

Also of course Keighley will not give you the protection the Council have when you stop paying rent, seek compensation for everything you can and generally start acting like you own the place.  They really will tell you to feck off.  And that will be that.

So in summary - I call bullshit. Are you on the board of directors yet, GFB?

52 minutes ago, Greg Florimos Boots said:

In all honesty I do not think our crowds would make a massive jump if we got back in to SL. Even when we finished 3rd our average was only about the 5k mark.

Of course they would, are you telling me that the likes of Castleford, Leeds, Hull (x2) Wigan, Huddersfield ect would not bring considerably more support that the workingtons of this world? And also that the people of Halifax would not feel more inclined to go if those were the clubs you were playing against week in week out? I fail to see how you average attendance wouldn't at least double..

29 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Thought The Shay had to be developed to hold 12k because that was a stipulation in the SL rules :blink: how the 'mighty' 'sport' has fallen :lol:

Surely all they need is a 6K capacity stadium and to set the fire alarms off so everyone goes in twice again? Allegedly. 

2 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Of course they would, are you telling me that the likes of Castleford, Leeds, Hull (x2) Wigan, Huddersfield ect would not bring considerably more support that the workingtons of this world? And also that the people of Halifax would not feel more inclined to go if those were the clubs you were playing against week in week out? I fail to see how you average attendance wouldn't at least double..

They would need to much more than double,there's less than 1000 attending at moment.His point is valid about 5k averages but if crowds were consistantly at that level you would want a 10k capacity for the big games.

Archived