How deep in the mire is the game of RL

JRW

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No reason why Fax should go belly up. The £48k p.a. rent, or whatever it is Fax are meant to pay is pittance against the prize money they won a year ago. Unless of course the money

The thing is IT'S NOT THE ****ING PAST is it? They're STILL ****ING AT IT. It's like having neighbours for years who acted as though they were better than you. They let their cat **** on your lawn and

Being called a pub team by supporters of a club that could travel to 90% of their own team's away games with a Trans-Pennine day return ticket. Somewhere out there is a tree working extremely hard to

Posted Images

Just now, Erik Everhard said:

I must admit I am really surprised that some of their fans aren't up in arms about all this. There is a real danger of what you mention above happening.

It's just general apathy no-one gives a feck anymore.Unless a millionaire comes in there is no chance of promotion.My 2 junior season tickets sacked it off midseason and i haven't been to the playoff nonsense.

They really looked like they we're going somewhere after last season but it seems that wrong decisions we're made regarding where to spend the extra cash, and the coach maybe not quite as good as the board thought he was.

I was reading some stuff on the Fax fans forum and what you say above really ties in with that. 

Just now, Erik Everhard said:

They really looked like they we're going somewhere after last season but it seems that wrong decisions we're made regarding where to spend the extra cash, and the coach maybe not quite as good as the board thought he was.

I was reading some stuff on the Fax fans forum and what you say above really ties in with that. 

It was as good as it could ever get last season under the current regime and there in a nutshell lies the problem.

9 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

if we become sole tenants does anyone think DB would look to purchase the stadium from the council?

If he did I would hope everyone would rally up against it in fairness. The ground falling into one persons hands, regardless of their intentions, is not something I would be 100% comfortable with.

The football club buying the ground back themselves, with money the club has earnt would be different, but I would be as equally against Bossomworth owning the ground as I was when Abbott tried to get it. 

Individuals owning it puts us at risk to their whims or in danger if their personal circumstance change. Nothing against DB or anyone like that, but its a NO from me regardless of who the individual is, unless they are buying it outright for the club.

1 minute ago, Flea said:

If he did I would hope everyone would rally up against it in fairness. The ground falling into one persons hands, regardless of their intentions, is not something I would be 100% comfortable with.

The football club buying the ground back themselves, with money the club has earnt would be different, but I would be as equally against Bossomworth owning the ground as I was when Abbott tried to get it. 

Individuals owning it puts us at risk to their whims or in danger if their personal circumstance change. Nothing against DB or anyone like that, but its a NO from me regardless of who the individual is, unless they are buying it outright for the club.

No way would anyone buy the ground outright for the club. Even if someone like DB did the honourable thing and bought the ground as part of the club when he stepped aside and someone else bought the club, the chances are they would do so to eventually sell the ground. 

I hope it stays in the hands of Calderdale Council for a long time to come.

The Council must retain ownership, there's no realistic alternative option that secures the stadium for the longer-term. The sale of Thrum Hall and the proceeds being diverted to paying off a VAT bill against the stipulations of the covenant that was in place, shows such things really aren't worth the paper they're written on, so even enforcing some kind of legal contract on future owners is no guarantee.

The ideal scenario would be for the Council to create a not-for-profit company, similar to the previous SST, with a remit to bring in commercial partners/tenants to ensure the stadium trades at a profit, with the Council itself maintaining a hands-off approach. This would require some capital in the short-term, and might mean some unpalatable decisions (such as replacing the Skircoat with apartment blocks or car parking or whatever), but if the end result is that the stadium stops costing money and actually earns something, then great.

19 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

The Council must retain ownership, there's no realistic alternative option that secures the stadium for the longer-term. The sale of Thrum Hall and the proceeds being diverted to paying off a VAT bill against the stipulations of the covenant that was in place, shows such things really aren't worth the paper they're written on, so even enforcing some kind of legal contract on future owners is no guarantee.

The ideal scenario would be for the Council to create a not-for-profit company, similar to the previous SST, with a remit to bring in commercial partners/tenants to ensure the stadium trades at a profit, with the Council itself maintaining a hands-off approach. This would require some capital in the short-term, and might mean some unpalatable decisions (such as replacing the Skircoat with apartment blocks or car parking or whatever), but if the end result is that the stadium stops costing money and actually earns something, then great.

Surely the east stand alone could bring in a decent profit if promoted properly, without the need for development (Skircoat.)

Not fully against the idea but the East Stand could bring in quite a lot more revenue than it currently does.

Do HBOS use it at all? There's one huge potential customer right on the doorstep.

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:
1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

Horsfall also mentioned. That pitch is bad enough when only football is played on it. A few months of rugby as well and it would be no better than a cow field.

Batley now..and they will pay to take Fax....suppose Mount Unpleasant(sorry Mr Wood) is better than the Bradford options.

4 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Surely the east stand alone could bring in a decent profit if promoted properly, without the need for development (Skircoat.)

Not fully against the idea but the East Stand could bring in quite a lot more revenue than it currently does.

Do HBOS use it at all? There's one huge potential customer right on the doorstep.

HBOS don't use it and I reckon have enough space already in their own offices.  The council have been using it though.

A business renting the offices in the East Stand would be great, but they're not exactly queuing up.

100 parking spaces in the East Stand at £50 per month contract parking would bring in £60k a year.

There are options which are far more viable than a coffee shop and a nursery as Tony Abbott envisioned.  None of it is straightforward though; for everything idea you can think of the problem will be whether there is the appetite for it.

2 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I must admit I am really surprised that some of their fans aren't up in arms about all this. There is a real danger of what Hoddie mentions above happening.

Their fans just accept whatever happens blindly without question and without a care for the consequences of their actions.  They're very different to us in that regard.

On their forum, one poster has raised valid concerns about the financial health of the club, about the number of inactive shareholders and the potential of them playing away from The Shay next season. GFB's response is:

...The only thing I often wonder is how much do we as fans have a right to know what is going on at the club. We know it is our club but is it 'our' club?...I do think the club has to make it clear to fans just what is happening next season in terms of where we are playing, not because I think we have a right to know, but because it will cost the club a lot of money if they do not tell people.

If we felt that we were on the brink of financial collapse, merging with Bradford or playing out of the town you can guarantee that we would do something about it - whatever we could.  It's our community attitude and tenacity which saved the old club from extinction several times, helped rid the club of molluscs like Brown and Butler, and helped stop the Shay falling into the hands of that utter clown Tony Abbott (still waiting for a thank you).

In contrast the rugby fans were by and large falling over themselves to give Tony Abbott a hand-job for being such a great guy and dismissing any questions about his purchase because it wasn't their place to know those things, blindly lapping up his Courier sound-bites and sales spin about how great it would be if he owned The Shay.  Even going as far as saying that if it all goes t!ts up then so be it, there's nothing we can do. Referring to us as luddites for actually giving a toss.  They just generally don't care.  Like Hoddie says we probably give more of a f00k about them than most of their own fans do.

12 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

Their fans just accept whatever happens blindly without question and without a care for the consequences of their actions.  They're very different to us in that regard.

On their forum, one poster has raised valid concerns about the financial health of the club, about the number of inactive shareholders and the potential of them playing away from The Shay next season. GFB's response is:

...The only thing I often wonder is how much do we as fans have a right to know what is going on at the club. We know it is our club but is it 'our' club?...I do think the club has to make it clear to fans just what is happening next season in terms of where we are playing, not because I think we have a right to know, but because it will cost the club a lot of money if they do not tell people.

If we felt that we were on the brink of financial collapse, merging with Bradford or playing out of the town you can guarantee that we would do something about it - whatever we could.  It's our community attitude and tenacity which saved the old club from extinction several times, helped rid the club of molluscs like Brown and Butler, and helped stop the Shay falling into the hands of that utter clown Tony Abbott (still waiting for a thank you).

In contrast the rugby fans were by and large falling over themselves to give Tony Abbott a hand-job for being such a great guy and dismissing any questions about his purchase because it wasn't their place to know those things, blindly lapping up his Courier sound-bites and sales spin about how great it would be if he owned The Shay.  Even going as far as saying that if it all goes t!ts up then so be it, there's nothing we can do. Referring to us as luddites for actually giving a toss.  They just generally don't care.  Like Hoddie says we probably give more of a f00k about them than most of their own fans do.

There is a huge contrast between the two sets of fans. One set that will automatically spring into action  the moment something happens and another that just seem resigned to let the owners make terrible decisions. 

What surprises me is that knowing a few loyal rugby fans, they aren't normally like that. Maybe they just need a few to start the ball rolling.

I agree with quite a bit of your post but I think the 4th paragraph is spot on.

Maybe the Town faithful are battle hardened after everything they've been through and are ready for the (political) fight whenever it comes around and have fans that are experienced and who also keep abreast of legislation that could effect the club. Which is a very good thing.

8 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

Baby steps...email the club and fans forum now mentioned.

Archived