Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hands Off The Shay

Spring Hall Estate

I am concerned about a planning application to build an annex to Ravenscliffe School on this site between the tennis court and the athletics track.

I have sympathy with the school needing additional space but do not believe this to be the right site.

There was an original agreement when Patons & Baldwins donated the Estate to Halifax Corporation that the Estate be maintained as an open space for recreational purposes for the people of Halifax and that it wouldn't be snaffled by Whitehall.

There are also various planning issues in that the Estate is part of a conservation area and problems with access from Huddersfield Road.

There are also possible implications for other areas such as Manor Heath and Saville Park which may also have been gifted should CMBC be allowed to go ahead with this development.

I would be interested to hear opinions from forum members so that I have some idea of public feeling although they may well not represent the views of Joe Public!

The planning reference is 16/00132/FUL.

I am continuing to look into what has been happening behind the scenes at CMBC in the legal department..

It would appear that waivers to the conditions in the deed of gift have been negotiated possibly without the knowledge of the Councillors or the public. These would be required to allow building on the open space which should be kept as such for recreational purposes.

Some on here may well remember the furore that erupted when Northern ballet occupied the mansion resulting in various organisations being kicked out. Again conditions in the original deed of gift had been over-ruled.

I thought it was common knowledge about Ravenscliffe looking to build a sixth form centre at Spring Hall, I think it is planned to be on the old tennis courts. They have been fund raising for quite a while and at one time I believe it had been suggested that Spring Hall could be included in the sale of the Shay to :shh:.

From talking to people I know it is surprising how few of them outside of Skircoat Green are aware of what is happening.

Some of them thought it was just going to be a sports pavilion rather than a school.

Most of them know something of the history of Spring Hall are of the view that the original wishes of Patons and Baldwins that the estate should be maintained as an open space for recreation for the people of Halifax should be respected.

The plan is for the new school to be built on land between the tennis courts and the track with the tennis courts, which should have been maintained as such by CMBC, used for car parking.

There is also the possibility that if this goes ahead the football pitch at Spring Hall could also be built on resulting in effectively the total loss of this historic open space.

On 3/3/2016, 4:46:57, Hands Off The Shay said:

I am continuing to look into what has been happening behind the scenes at CMBC in the legal department..

It would appear that waivers to the conditions in the deed of gift have been negotiated possibly without the knowledge of the Councillors or the public. These would be required to allow building on the open space which should be kept as such for recreational purposes.

Some on here may well remember the furore that erupted when Northern ballet occupied the mansion resulting in various organisations being kicked out. Again conditions in the original deed of gift had been over-ruled.

Sorry, my response was that I have no issue with the school being built there. Its a slightly different matter if loopholes, or something underhand, has gone on to make this happen.

This is becoming a very complex issue with differing points of view and with the actions of CMBC being open to question.

If you are on facebook there is a group called save our spring hall or you could try this link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1023033911100476/

It would appear that there has been little public consultation and much has been going on without the people of Calderdale being aware.

I should say that it is me that has set the group up in response to the planning application and supporting documents in an effort to bring the matter to the attention of the wider population of Calderdale.

I may well be breaking some sort of rule on this forum and if so I apologise and please delete this thread. 

Alternatively if you think it worthy of wider attention then please put a link to this on the main football forum!

On 3/11/2016, 6:48:38, Wilder Bollox said:

Do the Harriers still use Spring Hall ? have you spoken to them about their position ?

Yes they do still use it and I will try and have a chat with them tomorrow night. There is a letter of support from the Chairman but unofficially I have heard that not all of them will be in favour of it. I don't know yet for example if they would be guaranteed use of the school changing rooms in the long term.

11 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Yes they do still use it and I will try and have a chat with them tomorrow night. There is a letter of support from the Chairman but unofficially I have heard that not all of them will be in favour of it. I don't know yet for example if they would be guaranteed use of the school changing rooms in the long term.

The Council and the Harriers seem to rub each others backs a bit which is very convenient for the Council