Chester Game

Erik Everhard

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was frustrating to watch. It wasn't due to a lack of trying though. We were ok until we got to the final third but then we ran out of ideas. Thought Aspin got his tactics and substitutions all wrong.

For starters, why play Tuton on the wing, he's a striker. I've no problem with Burrow being a target man but when he's flicking it on to no one what's the point.

Why did Aspin bring MacDonald off when he was our main threat? Unless he was injured it didn't make sense. Then it seemed odd when he brought Hattersley on. Why not bring on Hughes in a swap for swap deal.

There were some positives though. We passed it around well and got it forward a lot.

How did Hattersley's goal get disallowed when the defender tapped it to him?! Couldn't believe it. Also, how did we not get a penalty for the foul on Hibbs.

Tuton a waste of space on the left. Not pressing enough and Glennon should have saved the goal, straight down the middle.

The correct phrasing is Tuton is wasted down the left but it is not the first time Aspin has played a prolific striker out of position and won't be the last.

Well that was frustrating to watch. It wasn't due to a lack of trying though. We were ok until we got to the final third but then we ran out of ideas. Thought Aspin got his tactics and substitutions all wrong.

For starters, why play Tuton on the wing, he's a striker. I've no problem with Burrow being a target man but when he's flicking it on to no one what's the point.

Why did Aspin bring MacDonald off when he was our main threat? Unless he was injured it didn't make sense. Then it seemed odd when he brought Hattersley on. Why not bring on Hughes in a swap for swap deal.

There were some positives though. We passed it around well and got it forward a lot.

How did Hattersley's goal get disallowed when the defender tapped it to him?! Couldn't believe it. Also, how did we not get a penalty for the foul on Hibbs.

Fair summary but being stood in the South stand I can't comment on either the pen or the offside.

Plenty of effort & desire without question. Sadly no creativity in the side at all.Thought Glennon & Tuton were fantastic.Whitehouse had a poor game for me.Please start Bishop & Burrow on Sat.Thought Bishop looked good for the bit he played.Hibbs had a solid game.Like to see James play further up the pitch.I know that won't happen though.

Think we already know that this squad needs time to click

By at which point we are out of the play off contention...you need to hit the ground running early

I couldn't see a whether or not their goal took a deflection, but the original blame rested with James for holding the ball too long, failing to make an easy pass & then losing possession when surrounded by 3 Chester players. If Glennon was in any way responsible to their goal he made up for it with several excellent second half saves. Hibbs went down in a robust coming together - no pen

By at which point we are out of the play off contention...you need to hit the ground running early

If you look back over the years (ignoring the glue leagues) we have rarely done well over the season when we have a good start. Look at last season for example. Start off badly and build up, that's the way to get promotion! We don't want to get too far behind, but trust me, it will be a good season. It's pretty unusual for a team that looks to be running away with it early on to win the league. Keep the faith.

Come on give them a chance, there are shoots of promise there, these players will take time to gel, and adapt to a higher standard of football in terms of some of them. Kingsley James looks the first proper passer of the ball we've had in years to see a non league player who actually thinks before he does something was a joy to watch him tonight. 

McDonald looked good in parts but when he got in space he seemed to lack the ability to run into it at times. but again he's come up 4 leagues. and i could see he has something. 

The main concern for me having only seem them once, is where the killer ball will come from on a regular basis as James seems to link up from deep, again this may change when these players learn each others games and runs.

We can only go one way now and i'm confident we'll win games with this team

We had a good 15 minute spell early on but couldn't score, Chester gradually came more into it and were well worth their lead at half time.

Definitely improved second half and can be disappointed not to have pulled one back.

Lost due to our own problems again though - James losing the ball 30 yards out for the goal, burrow missing 2 sitters, many other half chances wasted.

Pluses tonight I thought were Glennon, macca, Hibbs, macdonald and tuton based on his second half.

Was a bit disappointed in Bolton, burrow and Hughes when he came on, neither centre half did themselves any favours either.

It's not all doom & gloom, definitely saw signs that we're on the right track but 2 defeats to start the season with a very young squad is a bit of a worry. Do still seem a bit lacking in the final third, both in the creative area and in finishing.

No time to panic two games in for goodness sake. Thought there were positives. Burrow looked great and would have scored but for a great save from Worsnop, James looks classy would like to see Whitehouse further forward MacDonald and Hughes look exciting.

Just going to take time.Rebuilding this season.

Tons of effort tonight, but the team is crying out for a creative spark in the oppositions half. If it means spending 10/20K on that player then so be it. That money will be soon spent in lost revenue at the turnstile if not. Not to down, unlike some I heard leaving the ground, but Aspin and his scouts need to come up with that player.

I expect to see Walker in the team on Saturday as Whitehouse was a passenger today, and he will offer some natural left footed balance to the midfield.

Tons of effort tonight, but the team is crying out for a creative spark in the oppositions half. If it means spending 10/20K on that player then so be it. That money will be soon spent in lost revenue at the turnstile if not. Not to down, unlike some I heard leaving the ground, but Aspin and his scouts need to come up with that player.

I expect to see Walker in the team on Saturday as Whitehouse was a passenger today, and he will offer some natural left footed balance to the midfield.

Whitehouse was poor tonight. Got to ditch this one man up front rubbish as well.

First time seeing this new look Shaymen tonight. Bottom of the league right now but it was a decent performance and I'm positive they'll get better. Glen non, Bolton, and Tuton were impressive, and despite Burrow missing a chance I thought he played well.

Can't same the same for Whitehouse, sulked and disappeared down the tunnel. Mac Donald and Hibbs will fill out and improve, and James is great signing.

Got to give these young lads time to gel, and pls lay off Aspin.

Burrow looked great and would have scored but for a great save from Worsnop

He's a striker and failed to score with 2 free headers from inside the 6 yard box.

Of the strikers on show tonight burrow looked poor in front of goal but held the ball up ok. His passing when laying off was pretty ropey though.

Tuton's final ball was woeful first half but much better when he was on the right in the 2nd.

Hattersley, seemed unlucky to have his goal ruled out, won the odd header but a bit quiet.

Bishop only had a few minutes.

Macdonald again offered far much more than Hughes, not sure I've seen Hughes deliver a proper cross yet.

Archived