Chester Game

Erik Everhard

Performances were better when he was a part time manager. Since he became full time.Our performances & results have been woeful.

Does correlation always mean causation? Why would a manager going full-time make them any worse? Time we either put this strange linkage to bed for good, or actually explained the reasoning behind it.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Performances were better when he was a part time manager. Since he became full time.Our performances & results have been woeful.

would wager thats more coincidence, I don't see how the manager going full time could negatively impact performances

Ok we lost one incarnation of it. The forum doesn't need another A v B debate again but should the club go down that path once more it may never rise again.

The old club was a shambles - but it was our shambles, something the fans were a part of.

The new club has an outwards view of being run well, but is just as shambolic as the old one was, if not more so - minus the debt.

The major difference with the new club is that it doesnt feel like its ours. It belongs to three directors who run it - and its to hell with the rest of us if it doesnt suit them.

I will keep supporting and backing the club, but lets be under no allusion, its not the same as the old one. Whilst run better financially, in every other department, most importantly the one in the community, we are failing miserably.

Does correlation always mean causation? Why would a manager going full-time make them any worse? Time we either put this strange linkage to bed for good, or actually explained the reasoning behind it.

That is why I posted it.I don't know why?Thought others might have an explanation. Don't think it is coincidence. Do you?

Listening to him other week i'm surprised he's still here.This season is

going to scupper his otherwise impressive cv.He labours the points of lack of

training facilities and meagre budgets.The windfalls he's brought in should have

facilitated major improvements in these areas.He stated there is nowhere to train

when it gets dark...FFS Trinity Academy has a full size 3g pitch with floodlights,

won't the board stump up hiring that for say 4 hours a week....

Better training facilities, floodlit training pitch etc would all be great, but it wouldn't alter the managers thinking that he needs to play strikers out of position and be pretty inflexible in his approach to match day. I am not advocating his exit, far from it, but at times I do think he is to regimented in his team set up. The work ethic he demands from his players is superb but that should be the bare minimum every player at this club gives as a matter of course, at times it seems to me the players are playing within themselves and need to be allowed to "release the shackles"

The old club was a shambles - but it was our shambles, something the fans were a part of.

The new club has an outwards view of being run well, but is just as shambolic as the old one was, if not more so - minus the debt.

The major difference with the new club is that it doesnt feel like its ours. It belongs to three directors who run it - and its to hell with the rest of us if it doesnt suit them.

I will keep supporting and backing the club, but lets be under no allusion, its not the same as the old one. Whilst run better financially, in every other department, most importantly the one in the community, we are failing miserably.

Spot on.

Don't get this old club belonging nonsense. Why did it belong to us? Because we were constantly being asked to put our hands in our pockets? What do you prefer? One financial crisis to another, but the knowledge that you are part of the club? (Something I never felt anyway) or a club that is being run prudently off the pitch, albeit with big improvements needed but you don't feel part of it?

For me I feel no more or less part of the FC Halifax Town than I did of Halifax Town FC

That is why I posted it.I don't know why?Thought others might have an explanation. Don't think it is coincidence. Do you?

Nothing much football wise has changed he was doing virtually full time

when he was paid part-time.Think his other job kept him away from home overnight

on occasions and he's glad that's no longer the case.

Don't get this old club belonging nonsense. Why did it belong to us? Because we were constantly being asked to put our hands in our pockets? What do you prefer? One financial crisis to another, but the knowledge that you are part of the club? (Something I never felt anyway) or a club that is being run prudently off the pitch, albeit with big improvements needed but you don't feel part of it?

For me I feel no more or less part of the FC Halifax Town than I did of Halifax Town FC

I just feel the community lost a football club when the old club went bust, a club that has not yet been replaced in the hearts and minds of the locals with this new club.

Whilst I am thankful for a lot of what this current board of Directors have done, the lack of fan growth and short-sightedness in sorting out long term problems (Club shop, training facilities, lack of community profile) falls directly at their feet.

Its all well and good Ham doing his annual speech to the Yorkshire Post about how we need more fans and that the budget is tight, yet if the club actively do nothing to attract new faces - and even shoots itself in the foot at times on this front - how is that the fans fault?

3 promotions in the past few seasons, all followed by the club sleeping over the summer. This season has been much more improved on that front, but even with that said, info was coming out about our fixtures and players from other clubs before ours most of the time.

I actually feel I am more connected with the new club than I was the old one - however, the "magic" and the feel of the old club and its sense of belonging is simply something that I am yet to see has been matched for me with the new club. Maybe its just a case of being a kid when the old club was around and growing up and seeing more of the non playing side that has tainted it for me, or maybe its a fact that it doesn't feel the same. Others have said the same that they don't feel this club is like the old one - not just causal fans, but those that put hours in to both clubs (Pretty sure Shaymus said he felt pretty much like this about a year ago for example).

Don't get me wrong, I still love this club and will be backing the BOD and doing what I can to help, but I just feel at the same time the current Board are holding the club back with their lack of action in promoting the club in the local community - and that is ultimately having the knock on affects that is seeing falling fan numbers and people feeling disconnected with the club as a whole. Our identity and public profile needs to be worked on 24/7 and we should always be looking at ways to drum up more support and get more people involved - but at times it feels like our current BOD just want to do things themselves and would be happy without having any fan involvement at all.

I didn't really see last night as a bad attendance. 1200 home supporters against our core support of 1300-1400 for a night time game in school holidays. It's only poor in the context of what we and the board would fantasise about, not when compared against the reality. I am interested to see how much the 7-12 contingent has increased for a Saturday game now with the free ST's

Last nights home support would have been 1,500-1,600 under the Chris Wilder regime at least. First home match of season, lovely night, no sky football/Champs league, decent opposition, attractive fixture - im sorry last nights attendance was poor and is not a good sign imo.

If that 1,200 drops off for night games alongside a bottom half performing Town side then you will be looking at 700-800 for midweek games at the Shay and 1,100 on a Saturday very quickly.

You only have to look back at the mid 90's. A town side struggling mid table to bottom half for 2/3 seasons and your sub 1,000 week in week out very easily.

There is no magic answer that's for sure and things will always be governed by results etc but as has been belted out by myself and many others nothing was done when the sun was belting down and we didn't have a care in the world. It was always going to come to this point.

If B and Ham & co can run this ship on a part time basis on 1,200 and employ a manager to keep us in the division whilst paying the bills and not putting the future of the club in doubt then they have my vote and respect - they will be first to have managed it in my time.

What I cant accept is talk from the BOD about ambition and Football league - it just isn't there to do it - its joke and fur coat talk. I will also not accept Mr Hams annual rumbling in the Yorkie Post about support not being what he expects. You guys had the chance. You didn't try.

Things have simmered now to a level that im more used to as a Town supporter. Trying to do our best with our backs against the wall - pretending this club is in any other shape than that is pure fantasy.

this **** only comes up when we're losing.........

I've got one suggestion though I don't buy it myself.

The only offer I have is that Aspin works well under very heavy pressure, and now he actually has some spare time in his life, he's going at his job in a slightly laid back manner. Of course I don't buy that and he certainly isn't laying back (he's out almost every free night doing scouting, for one), but it's the only vague reason I can think of.

How about the idea that following promotion we had one excellent striker that was all ours, we were an unknown quantity at national level (hence thrashing most of the bigger teams), and several players with a lot of Halifax Town experience that could be called upon to make the whole team gel? Those to me are much more credible reasons for the second season in the Conference not being as good as the first season.

Edit: EIGHTEEN PAGES! 

TBF, I've been pretty consistent in my view over the years. Whilst I feel our BOD have done a lot of good things, I don't think they have been anywhere near perfect either - and the lack of action they took those years ago is having a direct result on what we are seeing now.

I fully support and back this club - but I won't sit here and lie about things being fantastic and faultless when it can be better.

We have to always aim to better ourselves. At the moment I feel its the Board that need to step up to the plate and match what Aspin has managed to get on the pitch in recent years. Whilst many may knock and slag off Aspin and his teams, if the board was hitting the same standard Aspin has in the past 7 years we would probably be in a lot stronger position than we currently are.

I agree, people are happy to ignore it when we're doing well.  But that doesn't mean they're wrong.  There is something missing; it's not something that's particularly tangible or easy to put my finger on but there is IMO something fundamentally different about the entire club compared to the old one. 

There are plenty of fans who feel this way to some degree, just as there are plenty who don't (such as M&P or yourself).  But you can't tell people that their feelings are 'wrong'.  They feel that way for a reason.

Last nights home support would have been 1,500-1,600 under the Chris Wilder regime at least. First home match of season, lovely night, no sky football/Champs league, decent opposition, attractive fixture - im sorry last nights attendance was poor and is not a good sign imo.

If that 1,200 drops off for night games alongside a bottom half performing Town side then you will be looking at 700-800 for midweek games at the Shay and 1,100 on a Saturday very quickly.

You only have to look back at the mid 90's. A town side struggling mid table to bottom half for 2/3 seasons and your sub 1,000 week in week out very easily.

There is no magic answer that's for sure and things will always be governed by results etc but as has been belted out by myself and many others nothing was done when the sun was belting down and we didn't have a care in the world. It was always going to come to this point.

If B and Ham & co can run this ship on a part time basis on 1,200 and employ a manager to keep us in the division whilst paying the bills and not putting the future of the club in doubt then they have my vote and respect - they will be first to have managed it in my time.

What I can accept is talk from the BOD about ambition and Football league - it just isn't there to do it - its joke and fur coat talk. I will also not accept Mr Hams annual rumbling in the Yorkie Post about support not being what he expects. You guys had the chance. You didn't try.

Things have simmered now to a level that im more used to as a Town supporter. Trying to do our best with our backs against the wall - pretending this club is in any other shape than that is pure fantasy.

Agreed.

Spring hall has floodlights. It's no easy quick fix. Just Patience. I think with this side they will be late bloomers.

One win will get us going, going to be tough vs Torquay but I think we can do it.

Didn't Bristol have a bad start last year, hell they didn't really start their season until they beat us 6 games in.

Very early days.

That's true but there have been many wanting to talk about it during the good times and too many @rse lickers with their heads in the sand. It it all works back in order from people moaning about the manager, then people looking at reasons why the manager is failing........................................as I say - failure to fix the roof when the sun was in bloom. Ignorance, nobody, including the BOD were bothered as winning, winning and winning masks everything - so yes clearly this does crop up when we are losing.

Aspin has the tools to deliver a mid table finish and that is what im sure he will deliver, that may not be enough for some people, perhaps including the BOD but that is the reality.

He left Harrogate as he could not take them any further - he has reached the same stage at the Shay. Ready for his next challenge now.

Archived