Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4pjs

Tony Abbott

I hope they can pull off a couple of shocks if for no other reason but to keep the interest there and decent crowds to the end.

Logic would assume that any promotion would see an increase in prize money, sponsorship and fan numbers, so I would be shocked if any team would turn it down.

I know in the lower levels of NL football we have teams turning it down due to travel etc... But at the top levels I cant see that being an issue at all really.

I hope they can pull off a couple of shocks if for no other reason but to keep the interest there and decent crowds to the end.

Has RL got so desperate that it has to resort to this kind of concept? What a joke.

Fax stood more chance with giant rubber cheques, santa claws, helicopters and manufactured crowds.

Has RL got so desperate that it has to resort to this kind of concept? What a joke

I think most supporters of Fax would agree. That clown Nigel Wood has turned the game into a joke.

Begs the question

Nigel Wood or Sepp Blatter - who would you rather have running your sport?

Logic would assume that any promotion would see an increase in prize money, sponsorship and fan numbers, so I would be shocked if any team would turn it down.

I know in the lower levels of NL football we have teams turning it down due to travel etc... But at the top levels I cant see that being an issue at all really.

promotion to super league £1.6m finishing 8th £450k

I think most supporters of Fax would agree. That clown Nigel Wood has turned the game into a joke.

True but this 8s is a radical/well thought out idea,that just could

solve an almost unsolvable problem.

Catalan aside they will travel far less in Super League!

like promoting 2 conference sides to the premiership

it didn't work.

To be fair football has this issue at the very top with the vast gulf between the premier league and championship, it's difficult for a newly promoted team to stay up without massive financial risks. I've no doubt some premier league clubs would leap at an opportunity to introduce a similar franchise system to protect them during bad seasons. Rugby League took the wrong decision but you could understand the thinking when clubs yo-yoed between the leagues. A better fix, like in all sports, would be a redistribution of wealth.

Its the small companies I feel sorry for. Now if only a certain football club were as quick to pay their bills....................

Welcome back, I knew we'd tempt you back :)

And I agree with the comment you are making. However, I have no doubt that if our current owners had press such as this there would be at least one post on here about it. I think that is more Flea's point.

Its the small companies I feel sorry for. Now if only a certain football club were as quick to pay their bills....................

It's almost as bad as employee's of a local company alegedly targeting dementia sufferers and their like.

It's almost as bad as employee's of a local company alegedly targeting dementia sufferers and their like.

You will not get me disagreeing. Honestly I do not know how people do that job, I understand people have to do what they can to make ends meat but sat in a call centre making calls where they blatently lie to try and get a lead is just really scummy and not something I could do personally as I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. I actually think pay day loans is a bit of a grey area and nowhere near as bad as the constant tele sales crap we are forced to put up with.

To be fair football has this issue at the very top with the vast gulf between the premier league and championship, it's difficult for a newly promoted team to stay up without massive financial risks. I've no doubt some premier league clubs would leap at an opportunity to introduce a similar franchise system to protect them during bad seasons. Rugby League took the wrong decision but you could understand the thinking when clubs yo-yoed between the leagues. A better fix, like in all sports, would be a redistribution of wealth.

Has football really had that issue?

I'd argue firstly that it's not comparable to the step up from Championship to Premier League, given the difference there is about £60 million in TV money alone, rather than the couple of million between Super League and the Championship.

But, even taking the 2 as a comparison, there are many teams who get promoted and manage to hold their own in the Premier League.

As an outsider with no real interest in the sport it does seem like the powers that be at Rugby League headquarters have tried to over complicate things in a bid to try and find a gimmick they can market, rather than a competition that rewards the best sides and keeps a steady freshness with the poorest teams being replaced.

Emailed the Sunday Telegraph with this:

Sir/Madam,

I enjoyed reading Robert Mendick's write-up on the men behind cold calling, particularly Tony Abbott's mark on this industry.
Mr Abbott did not endear himself very well to the public of Halifax, after secretly attempting to purchase the Shay Stadium, home of FC Halifax Town as well as his own Halifax RLFC, off the local council. Their talks only entered the public realm when he boasted about his bid on social media, several months down the line.
Eventually he withdrew his bid, but he could not withdraw the comments he made in emails to council members leaked via Freedom of Information requests. His valuation for the stadium stood at £1.895m, significantly less than its recently completed £5m redevelopment.* Despite his Halifax RLFC being in huge rent arrears and his combined businesses having net assets in the five-figure region, he also promised an eight-figure investment on the Shay at a public forum, telling the audience he could "probably turn it into a profit within the first day".
It seems that not only does Mr Abbott need to learn the basics of marketing, but running sports clubs too.

Yours faithfully,

Emailed the Sunday Telegraph with this:

Sir/Madam,

I enjoyed reading Robert Mendick's write-up on the men behind cold calling, particularly Tony Abbott's mark on this industry.

Mr Abbott did not endear himself very well to the public of Halifax, after secretly attempting to purchase the Shay Stadium, home of FC Halifax Town as well as his own Halifax RLFC, off the local council. Their talks only entered the public realm when he boasted about his bid on social media, several months down the line.

Eventually he withdrew his bid, but he could not withdraw the comments he made in emails to council members leaked via Freedom of Information requests. His valuation for the stadium stood at £1.895m, significantly less than its recently completed £5m redevelopment.* Despite his Halifax RLFC being in huge rent arrears and his combined businesses having net assets in the five-figure region, he also promised an eight-figure investment on the Shay at a public forum, telling the audience he could "probably turn it into a profit within the first day".

It seems that not only does Mr Abbott need to learn the basics of marketing, but running sports clubs too.

Yours faithfully,

Well done Pliny, this charleton needs exposing good and proper

Sensible question..Have Fax got any chance of doing anything in these play-offs?

no, but the way they are playing they may spring a few upsets and then who knows. think if win 3 or 4 it would see them in the so called £1.000,000 game. but playing against full time teams week in week out will be a big ask from a team of part-timers.

but playing against full time teams week in week out will be a big ask from a team of part-timers.

FCHT do that all the time....... ;)

Call me a bit thick ! But a team on a winning run (top four of div '2') should 9 Times out of 10 beat a team on a losing run (bottom 4 of div '1') regardless of which is full-time and which is part-time, or am I missing something ?

Full/part time is a huge difference in rugby unlike football. Thats why you dont really get many Challenge Cup shocks unlike in football in the FA Cup.