January Signings

Steve Lanzarote

Can't help but feel a bit down that, having come all this way, we still can't apparently sign an Accrington benchwarmer.

You get the feeling they're hoping a full time conf club comes along as they can easily match that wage.

If he's still at Accrington come the last week of the window - expect them to change their tune.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help but feel a bit down that, having come all this way, we still can't apparently sign an Accrington benchwarmer.

I agree that having a wage structure is good as long as it is realistic.......with all the failures to sign players you have to wonder.

You get the feeling they're hoping a full time conf club comes along as they can easily match that wage.

If he's still at Accrington come the last week of the window - expect them to change their tune.

trouble is SDS we are then cut down to 2 1/2 months as to 3 1/2

If that's the case fair enough.Aspin has said he has missed out on 10 targets recently...

all wanting more than Aspin's valuation ?? if i were him i'd be getting a bit pizzed off now.

Not necessarily, could be that the players didn't want to come to us. Aspin must be getting annoyed though.

If that's the case fair enough.Aspin has said he has missed out on 10 targets recently...

all wanting more than Aspin's valuation ?? if i were him i'd be getting a bit pizzed off now.

Interesting, either Aspin has a real Yorkshire streak or if you have a Poundland Budget most things are unaffordable. A question for Mr B I wouldn't want us to pay over the odds for anyone but price is what somebody is prepared to pay, perhaps we are unprepared to out bid the "big clubs"?

If it means the full contract value then yes.If it means we pay our percentage of wages for 52 weeks as opposed to 40

then it's more penny pinching by this board.What they fail to realise is that the club has a good chance of playoffs/fat

this season which may not arise again in near future.It's time to invest a small percentage of the Aladin's cave they

have amassed.

they won't throw money around that can be spent better somewhere else. he's a good player, i'd like to see him on our books but when all is said and done he can't get into an average L2 team, if we're going to pay over the odds for players at this level we may as well go the whole hog and go down the fleetwood/crawley route............

still not a reason to pay over the odds, must be lots of players of a similar standard and there'll be all sorts of reasons why we can't sign most of them. refusing to be screwed over is just one of them.

Very difficult job for aspin and while we watch with interest the manager is the one who has to make the right choices and lets face it the guy gets most things right or we could do what lillis did and go and buy 40 players and then we will all join in with a rendition of my way.

Interesting, either Aspin has a real Yorkshire streak or if you have a Poundland Budget most things are unaffordable. A question for Mr B I wouldn't want us to pay over the odds for anyone but price is what somebody is prepared to pay, perhaps we are unprepared to out bid the "big clubs"?

I think we're willing to pay transfer fees if they're reasonable and for the right type of player (such as a younger player we can then hope to get a fee for ourselves), it's wages that we're stricter on. We seem to have a wage structure in place that's affordable for this level and allows us to compete. It only takes one player to come in on a higher wage and then come the end of the season 5 or 6 of the current squad expect their salaries to be increased in line with the new guy's. Before you know it you're looking at a shortfall of £2k a week - and we all know what that tends to lead to.

Part of me feels like NA should be doing more in his full time capacity regarding transfers.. Isn't that why he went full time, so he could be more involved in player recruitment, watching them etc?

What's the point in backing the manager by making him full time, but not giving him the tools to do his job, ( eg, the ability to offer a competitive wage/transfer fee) by that, i don't mean hemorrhaging the clubs future.

Part of me feels like NA should be doing more in his full time capacity regarding transfers.. Isn't that why he went full time, so he could be more involved in player recruitment, watching them etc?

What's the point in backing the manager by making him full time, but not giving him the tools to do his job, ( eg, the ability to offer a competitive wage/transfer fee) by that, i don't mean hemorrhaging the clubs future.

How do you know he's not doing enough work? How do you know he's not being backed?

Just because we haven't signed anyone yet? Christ, ring the panic button.

Best settle down, we won't sign players who do not fit in with the wage structure, don't have the correct team ethos & attitude or want to be part of the plan, I for one am happy with the financial progress & the on field progress we have made & would not want that jeopardised for a few knee jerk signings. Suspect a fair amount of brinkmanship will be involved so expect thing won't come together until nearer the window closure. It's the ball game we are in now we are competing with full time outfits for players & the fact we are perceived to have cash to splash, a reality we have to live with, patience is the key I am confident we will have at least a couple of players in before long.

Best settle down, we won't sign players who do not fit in with the wage structure, don't have the correct team ethos & attitude or want to be part of the plan, I for one am happy with the financial progress & the on field progress we have made & would not want that jeopardised for a few knee jerk signings. Suspect a fair amount of brinkmanship will be involved so expect thing won't come together until nearer the window closure. It's the ball game we are in now we are competing with full time outfits for players & the fact we are perceived to have cash to splash, a reality we have to live with, patience is the key I am confident we will have at least a couple of players in before long.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Bristol Rovers signed Jamie Easter yesterday released from Millwall....big signing.

Can Millwall release Lee Gregory to us!!!!

Chester also sign youngster from Aston Villa...

FCHT - still no news.

Setting off to Dartford shortly - looks like same squad has Saturday - will that be enough!!!

Yes if they can score five goals again :-)

Unless he's told you personally how much he's doing I don't think you can make that comment. By all accounts he's trying to sign players, but sometimes you just can't, especially mid-season. There's no point offereing a 'competitive' wage if we can't afford to do so.

Its tough for Aspin no doubt about it. Id rather have just one or two signings that he wants and is sure of though rather than a flurry of tripe through the door. Jan is not the time to to things and our budget/structure makes it even harder. Keep the faith and place your trust in the Lord - it will take time but he will get there.

Archived