Ched Evans

For ever htfc.

At what point does it tip in favour or the opposite though?

i.e. if he was playing football for us but could earn more money as a joiner, would it be acceptable to sign him up?

Part of me thinks that once you have served your time you should then be able to continue your lift - thats what rehabilitation is all about isnt it?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i.e. if he was playing football for us but could earn more money as a joiner, would it be acceptable to sign him up?

Part of me thinks that once you have served your time you should then be able to continue your lift - thats what rehabilitation is all about isnt it?

Indeed but to be able to do that within a high profile professional sport is going to be very difficult if not impossible. And its the crime thats the main issue here, when you consider the sort of treatment a rapist gets within the prison system where muderers and theives are considered to be of a higher moral standing then you kind of see very easily what Evans is up against.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club, but I would be prepared to forgive him if he was contrite about it and did more to make sure his example is not condoned but condemned. Then at least cases like this would occur far less often, regardless of whether a footballer, joiner or man on the dole is the perpetrator.

If he wants to stop being victimised beyond his sentence by the reputation his crime has given him, then he should consider the real victim who he raped. Before he does that he will get no sympathy from me and many others.

Whether or not he raped that lass he's not exactly a good role model. The way he rewarded those who harassed his accuser says plenty, not to mention the fact that he thought 'roasting' a pissed up lass was a good idea when he already had a lass back home. Consensual or not he isn't the sort of person I'd want to see pulling on a Halifax Town shirt.

If he wants to stop being victimised beyond his sentence by the reputation his crime has given him, then he should consider the real victim who he raped. 

Thats part of the issue though - he still remains adamant that he did nothing wrong so why should he show remorse to the victim? In some cases the jury isnt always right when it comes down to one persons version of events against another and only he and 'the victim' know what happened even though they were both absolutely hammered.

Nowt to do with money for me.  It's about a convicted rapist being cheered on by several hundred/thousand (depending on what level he plays at) of his own supporters including families, children etc.

I would not want my daughter cheering on a man who is a convicted rapist (irrespective of what your thoughts are on the conviction itself), particularly in view of the way he has dealt with the matter.

Many professions are 'in the public eye' (sports people, celebreties etc) where a convicted rapist would seriously struggle to work again in their chosen field.   In fact, there are many normal jobs where employers would not take on somebody with a rape conviction.

If you commit a crime like rape, it's not so straightforward to do your time and then move on with your life as though nothing's happened.  It's not petty theft.  That's just the way it is and, considering the impact rapists have on the lives of their victims, I have no problem with that.

For the record my own opinion on the case itself is that it's very possible Ched Evans has been very unlucky to have been found guilty in the first place.  But that doesn't alter my opinion above.

But he's not spent it. Sentenced for 5 years in 2012, so he's out on license and could be recalled at any point. To be honest I'm furious at the prison service, probation service etc. for letting him out whilst showing no contrition or remorse. He's still on the sex offender register.

He's not served his sentence at all, and won't be rehabilitated. If he wants to get his conviction overturned then fine, but **** off and do it somewhere else.

And don't forget, as well as the conviction two Court of Appeal hearings (i.e. 4 more judges) have refused to give him permission to appeal, so I'm happy the judiciary think the verdict is a correct one. And, if he wins his case review, the case will go back to the court of appeal so he'll be back in court on trial again. Is that really something we'd want at the club?

Im not saying we should sign him. I am interested though in the view of what professions someone with a criminal history can or cant do as part of their rehabilitation following a spell in prison.

I wouldn't employ someone convicted of rape 60 years after their conviction. End of story for me.

Im not saying we should sign him. I am interested though in the view of what professions someone with a criminal history can or cant do as part of their rehabilitation following a spell in prison.

Can't be a solicitor if you have any convictions at all, whether you went to jail or not. I know of one who was barred for stealing a beer glass from a pub.

I don't think a lawyer, doctor or accountant could return to work with a criminal conviction under their own regulations.

Maybe if football is to be considered as a 'profession' then the governing body should have rules regarding who can play after a criminal conviction but then you have the problem of at what level the rules would apply from eg would it only apply to paid players or players at above a certain level in the football pyramid or only members of the PFA etc etc.

I am not saying I would. As I say, I am just curious as to what profession is it acceptable for a convicted rapist to continue working in once serving his time and what isnt.

For me.do not think there is one Bubba.......................certain acts of crime are no.no´s..............ie would you give Gary Glitter a job he has served his time?

Archived