New Years Day

townmad

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that Gateshead played at Bristol last night so they have a 6 day rest before they play us boxing day while we play twice in 5 days. Seems they are getting all the breaks going, they must be laughing their socks off at us.

This posted by Conference on Twitter.

@conferencefooty: in a publication yesterday it stated the two clubs had agreed compensation. We were not party to discussions between clubs.

This posted by Conference on Twitter.

@conferencefooty: in a publication yesterday it stated the two clubs had agreed compensation. We were not party to discussions between clubs.

the conference issued the directive on 16th december that the unanimously agreed board minute 1143b of 8th May 2014 was to be applied. after that it was up to the clubs unless they couldn't agree. the club asked gateshead if they refused to cancel, would the game go ahead? gateshead said it would not, from which we may infer that their intention would have been to apply their rights under this unanimously agreed minute1143b. i suppose the club could have wasted everybody's time, including their own and taken it right to the wire in a fight they already knew they could not win. no doubt if they'd done that the usual half dozen idiots on here would have been caning them for wasting time that could have been better spent telephoning all the fans individually to wsh them a merry christmas.

the conference issued the directive on 16th december that the unanimously agreed board minute 1143b of 8th May 2014 was to be applied. after that it was up to the clubs unless they couldn't agree. the club asked gateshead if they refused to cancel, would the game go ahead? gateshead said it would not, from which we may infer that their intention would have been to apply their rights under this unanimously agreed minute1143b. i suppose the club could have wasted everybody's time, including their own and taken it right to the wire in a fight they already knew they could not win. no doubt if they'd done that the usual half dozen idiots on here would have been caning them for wasting time that could have been better spent telephoning all the fans individually to wsh them a merry christmas.

I suppose the problem comes down, then, to not issuing a clear and explicit reason for the postponement. It would seem that the club could do with reviewing its media and communication procedures and practice.

1979-80

From Meynell Bible

Dec 15 Walsall away 1-1-cup

Dec 18 Walsall home 1-1 plus extra time-first replay

Dec 21 Scunthorpe away 0-1

Dec 24 Walsall home 2-0 plus extra time second replay 6,530 on xmas eve as well

Dec 26 Huddersfield home 2-1

Dec 29 Peterborough  home 0-0

Jan 5 Man City  home 1-0 

The good old days

The Walsall game on Christmas Eve remains my favourite ever match.  No way on earth that it would have been played in these days, ice on the old terrace was hazardous to the extreme, pitch can't have been much better.  I remember I was wearing my Halifax Town digital watch, newly purchased with advance Christmas money from TT down at the Shay Shop.  The boxing day win over Udders came a close second and like the Man City game I remember that one being a bit on the wet side. What a perfect Christmas that was

The Walsall game on Christmas Eve remains my favourite ever match.  No way on earth that it would have been played in these days, ice on the old terrace was hazardous to the extreme, pitch can't have been much better.  I remember I was wearing my Halifax Town digital watch, newly purchased with advance Christmas money from TT down at the Shay Shop.  The boxing day win over Udders came a close second and like the Man City game I remember that one being a bit on the wet side. What a perfect Christmas that was

Couldn't agree more. I remember Walsall had a centre forward called Roy McDonagh who, late in the second half, found himself in the clear. My dad said to me, 'Uh oh, it's here,' but McDonagh hesitated, the cover got back and tje chance was gone. Two forgotten players scored our goals - Peter Burke and John Smith. What a start to Christmas that was. Then two days later, beating leaders Huddersfield was amazing. Huddersfield brought on new signing Steve Kindon, who delivered the ball with his first touch for Dunleavy to score an og. But that man Burke stuck his neck out to grab the winner. The last time there was a five-figure gate at The Shay for a League match - 10,061. Then the Man City game. Fantastic times. 

Couldn't agree more. I remember Walsall had a centre forward called Roy McDonagh who, late in the second half, found himself in the clear. My dad said to me, 'Uh oh, it's here,' but McDonagh hesitated, the cover got back and tje chance was gone. Two forgotten players scored our goals - Peter Burke and John Smith. What a start to Christmas that was. Then two days later, beating leaders Huddersfield was amazing. Huddersfield brought on new signing Steve Kindon, who delivered the ball with his first touch for Dunleavy to score an og. But that man Burke stuck his neck out to grab the winner. The last time there was a five-figure gate at The Shay for a League match - 10,061. Then the Man City game. Fantastic times. 

fantastic times indeed, although I should point out we finished 18th in the league  ;)

fantastic times indeed, although I should point out we finished 18th in the league  ;)

We went fifth in October, beat Walsall in the league(the last undefeated club in the whole of the League) and appeared on the Match of the Day top five caption when they ran through the leagues. That was all that mattered|

Helped by the fact that vouchers were given out which guaranteed you a ticket for the Man City game. A very enterprising scheme.

come to the next game to guarantee a ticket for the big one - if the current board tried that they'd be accused of exploiting the fans.

so he might have said it once nearly 2 seasons ago before he came out with stuff like "when we get into the football league the £700,000 annual  subsidy will enable us to go full time"  ? not quite always said it then.........

so you think £700k will pay for a training ground, full time wages for a squad of players, backroom staff and extra office staff not to mention an increase in ground rent, whilst leaving an average gate of 16/1700 to sustain this club through a season. If we were to survive a season in League 2 then either admissions would need to rise by another 30% or the BOD would need to put their hands in their pockets to keep us afloat. 

Archived