New Years Day

townmad

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told this morning the club was pushed into this decision by the powers that be.

I have been told the same however there was always the option of saying "no"

I have been told this morning the club was pushed into this decision by the powers that be.

"do you mind cancelling a match, losing thousands of pounds for your club, disadvantaging all your fans and their festive football plans for  us?"

Seasons greetings, Sir Bert Millichip.

JUST SAY NO! Spineless City Fans.

I agree, but we dont really know what "deals" have been done, if any.

Should be greater considerations here than financial.  Unless Gateshead have made a 'far too good to refuse' offer (the emphasis being on the word 'far') then simply covering loss of revenue and perhaps a tad extra just isn't good enough when considering the best interest of the supporters and the club's on the field ambitions.

A 6 point swing could well come out of this 'favour'

Would we have beaten Gateshead NYD? Who knows? We might beat them in the rearranged fixture anyway but they will have certainly been pre occupied.

No matter what financial bonus has been sent out way for doing this, the damage far outweighs it. When Grimsby refused this season I said who can blame them. You have to gain whatever advantage you can from your rivals.

What sort of "deal" would justify this, in other fans' eyes? We've thrown away over £10k gate receipts. Even a settlement circa £30k as significant as that is for a club of our size we probably wouldn't notice a visible difference. Hardly justifies all these cancelled trips, tagging along families and rescheduled days off work.

What deals could have been done? Financial incentive - thats not in the best interests of the supporters.

I struggle to believe a financial incentive is even allowed - paying another club to postpone a fixture? Would lead to all sorts of abuse.

Blyth didnt have a game and southport & Wrexham have. Dover are still playing at Welling on NYD and they play Palace in the cup

You can bet your last dollar no other clubs would do the same for us....I can see the conference having requested this to give Gateshead the best possible chance thus increasing exposure for the league....if it had been a random saturday in October the anger would have been 200% less however on NYD one of the best games of the season makes it stink somewhat

You can bet your last dollar no other clubs would do the same for us....I can see the conference having requested this to give Gateshead the best possible chance thus increasing exposure for the league....if it had been a random saturday in October the anger would have been 200% less however on NYD one of the best games of the season makes it stink somewhat

Agree

I struggle to believe a financial incentive is even allowed - paying another club to postpone a fixture? Would lead to all sorts of abuse.

exactly this is a complete red herring, the City BOD have sacrificed a financial windfall, strategic advantage on the playing field, the goodwill of any sponsors/corporate guests and the terrace fodder fan's interests for a favour to promotion rivals, Aspin will be tearing his hair out, smacks of a deal done on the golf course

What sort of "deal" would justify this, in other fans' eyes? We've thrown away over £10k gate receipts. Even a settlement circa £30k as significant as that is for a club of our size we probably wouldn't notice a visible difference. Hardly justifies all these cancelled trips, tagging along families and rescheduled days off work.

If it has been done what gives Mr B the right to sell off a fixture? It would be like ITV buying off the BBC to put the Strictly final on at 4am on Tuesday morning, spoils the integrity of the competition (the Conference)

Leave the lucrative golf out of this! ;) The golf day will pay for the revenue lost on NYD.

Ah you've gone for the classic Steve Lumb defence!

Perhaps if next season we could arrange to move all games to be played in May(nice, warm and sunny- no cold terraces), we could trouser £30K from each opponent for the favour, we could sign up all our players on a 1 month contract saving 11 months wages, hire the Shay just for 1 month (think of the reduced rent!), we all just have a month off work and it would be awesome. More time to have golf days as well.

Archived