Welling Game

Steve Lanzarote

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to watch any side managed by Neil Aspin as 99% of the time his team's offer a fast tempo all effort performances and I accept mixed in with that sometimes his team's look very industrial.

Champions

Champions

Play off semi finals

Play off winners

Play off semi finals

currently 3 points from play offs.

All achieved in the Aspin way

Big shoes to fill

concerted Chadders moment x2

well maybe, but look at other teams with bigger crowds etc - FCUM still where we left them, Stockport with even bigger crowds can't get out of North so it's not quite as easy as perhaps you think

And still can't believe this meltdown - as I said earlier, we lost 3 on the trot around the same time last season. I felt after we overachieved last season then a top 10 finish would be good this season - not good enough for Trev I know, but then I'm easily pleased  ;)

iTHINK IT WAS THE SAME DEBATE AS WELL

the football played in 68/69 was pretty dire, but effective  ;)

Understatement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats true and I would be happy for a rubbish performance and a win. However, I cannot believe that people are suggesting that the only way we can win is playing this way.

Well bolt45 we must have been to lot of the same games started in 49 @ 3 years old then first game I missed was the floodlight opening as I was in hospital

I don't see it as a case of not being able to afford in terms of money. I see it more as how many of this squad could 'afford' to go fulltime with us. Surely our fulltime wage wouldnt touch what a lot of our lads earn from their 9-5 jobs plus what they earn from football. They would earn more staying p/t.

Very true re wages but it is amazing how many would still jump at the chance to be a FT footballer

Sorry, but that was the myth some people wanted to believe. True, O'Regan should never have been sacked when he was, but the tide was certainly turning. As I recall, the crowd was getting on his back as one win from nine matches took us from sixth to eleventh, and the football had become pretty sterile. The pressure was on O'Regan to get us back into the play-offs, and Jim Brown couldn't wait to use this as an excuse for sacking him when he did (probably on the 'advice' from Peter Butler). With Neil Aspin now, the pressure is coming only from the fans; I expect the current board to be more tolerable as I don't think they feel we could seriously afford to go up. 

that's right, people were complaining that the team was set up in a way that suited playing away from home where a more cautious approach was desirable and that fans expected more in a home game.

Yes but football fans are simple. If we win it's good football irrespective of style.

absolutely spot on. what i hear through the babble is "we're not winning anymore"

Cant afford to go up?

Thats the biggest load of tosh I've read in years!

Promotion gives us circa 800K a year football league funding - more than enough to keep this club in golf days all season.

i'll  say it again, that £800k would be worth double that in bosomworths hands.

20 pages after losing 2-1 to welling? really?

Sorry, but that was the myth some people wanted to believe. True, O'Regan should never have been sacked when he was, but the tide was certainly turning. As I recall, the crowd was getting on his back as one win from nine matches took us from sixth to eleventh, and the football had become pretty sterile. The pressure was on O'Regan to get us back into the play-offs, and Jim Brown couldn't wait to use this as an excuse for sacking him when he did (probably on the 'advice' from Peter Butler). With Neil Aspin now, the pressure is coming only from the fans; I expect the current board to be more tolerable as I don't think they feel we could seriously afford to go up. 

Remember a comment at half time from the crowd away at Hartlepool when we were getting ripped a new one "Stick to playing O'Reagan you will never make a manager as long as you've got a hole in your Harris"  :o Ah the bad old days :P

Typical Town fans. A genuine Shay legend who had the balls and the desire to play for us in front of 600 when he could have still strolled it in the football league. Then gives us, with the help of George the most glorious year in 80 odd years - 6th months later people are calling for his head.

It is no suprise to me that after that treatment and working under Jim Brown he never Sat in a dug out again.

Remember a comment at half time from the crowd away at Hartlepool when we were getting ripped a new one "Stick to playing O'Reagan you will never make a manager as long as you've got a hole in your Harris"  :o Ah the bad old days :P

Two things I remember from KOR days as manager, firstly he stopped picking himself when he was still one of our best players, secondly his substitutions were awful. Theres not much doubt that he was working for a plank but IMO too many people remember the player rather than the manager.

Seems at home commenting on the terriers now, his favourite club.

Two things I remember from KOR days as manager, firstly he stopped picking himself when he was still one of our best players, secondly his substitutions were awful. Theres not much doubt that he was working for a plank but IMO too many people remember the player rather than the manager.

Things were apparently a joke behind the scenes i.e. KOR lacked discipline and didnt command the respect of the players. Players supposedly faked injuries so that they could spend the day on the golf course.

Fantastic player but needed George by his side through the early days.

It appears that we are being asked if we want to watch decent football or to win. Surely its not one or the other.

spot on they are not mutually exclusive and it is at best a rhetorical question, I would accept the Shaymen winning the Champions League with a subtle blend of hoofball and extreme violence

Things were apparently a joke behind the scenes i.e. KOR lacked discipline and didnt command the respect of the players. Players supposedly faked injuries so that they could spend the day on the golf course.

Fantastic player but needed George by his side through the early days.

correct

Archived