Welling Game

Steve Lanzarote

You should have interviews with Your manager, Marc Roberts and Lois Maynard to come i think. Your media team were there for a long time filming interviews after.

Maynard's header was unbelievably good. 

I don't think you can blame Pearson as Beautyman said after the game that Pearson said he had been told to do a job... Beautyman's reply was "to break my leg?"

aspin says he was told to "stay on him and keep him out of the game". a fairly standard instruction in dealing with a talented opponent. to suggest the team was sent out to kick welling off the park, as you have done is ridiculous and well out of order.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pearson's a silly boy. I don't know how any Town fan can condone that clear stamp on Beautyman. It's almost cowardly. 

I haven't seen it condoned anywhere. It simply wasn't as vicious as has been made out, but petulant. It was worthy of a red. By the way, no mention of Smith being scythed down by their goal line in the first half, and I was also impressed by the voice in the crowd exhorting Pearson to 'Drop dead, you bastard!' after the red card We were saying yesterday that it might have been better to have man-marked Day, rather than Beautyman, as all their play tended to come through him.

And another thing, there was a clear foul on Ainge by the touchline in the build-up to their winner. You can just about see him making a belated, abject protest as the ball is scuttled away to the opposite wing.

Was thoroughly disappointed yesterday. Welling looked distinctly average but we were worse - although admittedly miles better overall than the Woking game, we are still conceding really, really stupid goals at the back and all Boden's hard work up front is coming to nothing as we've no-one with the quality to support him effectively. No excuse whatsoever for Pearson, playground stuff. We did give it a decent go with ten men, credit them for that, but without ever really convincing me we were gonna do it. Alfreton is now a very important game for several of this team who have been performing way under their best for quite a while now.

we both know if we only draw the next 3 games you'll be on aspin's case as always.

Why would I say that then be on his case? I'm worried more than anything. I don't see the point of being overly critical on Aspin, but he must be questioned over the teams form over the last 12 games.

Who cares about this. Smokescreen to cover up our terrible current form.

Need to go back to drawing board. We need to be hard to beat again, not bothered if we get a couple of draws in next 3 games.

Just need to stop the run of defeats

Id rather we won 1 lost 2 than got a couple of draws.

Performance yesterday by and large was much improved. Pearson should be coming out and apologising, the club should be fining and disciplining him, he serves his ban and we go again.

Even though we lost it does feel we turned a corner a little yesterday as it was much improved on recent games.

Totally know what your both saying, I just feel the lack of confidence has come from almost expecting defeats. If we get hard to beat we can build on it. Having said that, I didn't go to the match yesterday so I cant comment on our overall performance.

Just a question to the guys that did go: what was the body language of the players like, before, during and after the game?

Totally know what your both saying, I just feel the lack of confidence has come from almost expecting defeats. If we get hard to beat we can build on it. Having said that, I didn't go to the match yesterday so I cant comment on our overall performance.

Just a question to the guys that did go: what was the body language of the players like, before, during and after the game?

Before - no different to usual from what I could see.

During - again, no different to usual - okay they weren't exactly grinning from ear-to-ear but I wouldn't expect them to be whilst playing. They looked like they were putting the effort in and trying to get a result. A few (for example Peniket) looked off the pace but doubt it was because of attitude.

After - most of the players came to clap the away fans although they didn't seem to want to get too close! Naturally disappointed I would assume.

It's a pity the referee didn't do more about the shirt-pulling earlier; this seems to be a tactic of theirs. In the first Pearson incident, he seems to be fouled by Welling's 24, and, after repeated viewings, I still cannot see any meaningful contact with Beautyman, who goes down as if shot. Pearson incident #2 along the touchline, his shirt is clearly being pulled, almost off his back. Pearson is putting strong, physical pressure upon the opposing player, but nothing nasty. Finally, for the sending off, I again, don't see a lot wrong with what Pearson does initially. However, Beautyman, clearly buoyed by his recent selection for England C, plays to the wings again, feigning agony after Pearson puts his foot down. Admittedly, a clear red card for this action, despite the fact that no proper contact seems to have been made. By far the worst foul of the lot was McManus's lunge. That could, and, perhaps, should, have incurred a red.

A mistery that McManus wasn't shown the red card for that one. Not a question of could or perhaps.

McManus' lunge was atrocious, way off the ball which he only touches when it ricochets off him once he trips up the bloke. As much as the stamp wasn't forceful it was still clearly a stamp, more "passive aggressive" pettiness than anything but completely brainless and warranted a red. The way Peniket ensures Beautyman gets knocked over just beforehand was similarly dim. Having missed the game I feel like a disappointed father watching his little sprogs on Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents watching all of that.

Indeed.

The body language this seaso n  as been going downhill ,ive noticed when boden is replaced not many hand shakes on the bench and since gregorys gone not many of our players smile,come back danny Holland and as Gregory said at supporters meeting every team needs a dh to lift the team.

For those of you who never went you can get a feel for the game here and your main tactic.

over reaction...pearsons 1st challenge was nowt...mcmanus challenge not that bad either...ive seen worse challengers in my lads under 10s games...can't disagree with the red card...its a contact sport..man up!!!

Your fans are at least sensible enough to say the ref gave you everything. You could quite easily have had 3 or 4 red cards but the ref infact gave you free kicks.

Surprised me greatly as you have been one of the best sides i have seen over the last couple of seasons, being able to pass it and go long, excellent at set pieces... Yesterday was just nasty and you tried to stop Welling any way you could rather than try and win.

Agree DJ. The Boden sub v Woking was very telling. He didn't applaud as he came off. Or shake any if the benches hands. Just sat disconsolate in the corner

So would i if my team was losing. Hes not going to be all smiles is he? Regardless of if he has just been subbed or not.

Oh and the first thing he did when he sat down was put an ice pack on his leg.

If he came off applauding and smiling at the adoring shay faithful he would be accused of not caring the team are losing!

Some people will just complain at anything.

3 poor results in a row in 6 years and some people on here are in meltdown!

Just glad none of you manage the side!

Archived