• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allen bust a gut to get into those positions in the first place. He won our penalty today too.  Lads, go for a beer and a clog dance, we won! 

Agree.....why do some members of this forum always pick on one player.....we all  know how good our captain has been in his career...still can and will do a job for us...he did a lot of work in school

The stream is very very poor but to knock Kirky the commentator and his pundit is totally unfair. I think Kirky is very good. I've (although reputed to be the best Bingo caller in Brighouse) never had

Posted Images

1 hour ago, arryarry said:

Shaycrazy is right. The commentators are not at fault. They are probably doing it gratis and are giving up their time to do it. They are OK. Obviously one of them sounds very Yorkshire so what is the problem. John Motson et al had to start somewhere so leave the lads alone. Lads, if you are reading this, don`t give in to the trolls. You`re OK!

What does need to be sorted is the bloody awful camera work. Too far away, doesn`t pan smoothly or at all. Picture is rubbish. I`ve paid for my season ticket and I want some of my money back because the quality has been poor. 

Don't have a major issue with commentary, we are not used to regional accents in such situations. As far as poor diction & misuse of words is concerned such as frow in etc. look to quality of schooling & TV along with the onward march of Estuary/Essex English. A perfect example being schooall no idea how the "a" has crept in to such words, at least thee & thow are in the Bible.....not sure about sithe:huh:

Shaycrazy is right. The commentators are not at fault. They are probably doing it gratis and are giving up their time to do it. They are OK. Obviously one of them sounds very Yorkshire so what is the problem. John Motson et al had to start somewhere so leave the lads alone. Lads, if you are reading this, don`t give in to the trolls. You`re OK!

What does need to be sorted is the bloody awful camera work. Too far away, doesn`t pan smoothly or at all. Picture is rubbish. I`ve paid for my season ticket and I want some of my money back because the quality has been poor. 

spot on, the only amend that I would advise is that I have paid for every home and away stream this season bar 2 and I think we just need to accept that we have the system we have and it will be redundant in the new season, although I'd like to think clubs continued to stream matches for non-local fans

• Like 2

i actually like the commentary... think they do a decent job 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, vinnyweknuts said:

spot on, the only amend that I would advise is that I have paid for every home and away stream this season bar 2 and I think we just need to accept that we have the system we have and it will be redundant in the new season, although I'd like to think clubs continued to stream matches for non-local fans

i would like to think so, but based on want has been public said, they wont be able to, and thats why its not been upgraded as when the crowds are let back in it is done ... for the bin!

View from the Kitchen Table

SCRAPPY

I looked back through my notes of the game against Weymouth and written large when it came to half time was the word SCRAPPY, the definition of this is “consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts”. Quite apt.

I must admit this was one of those games where I felt quite nervous, as Weymouth, whilst being at the bottom end of the table, had produced some decent wins against top 7 opposition so far this season, and were not too be taken lightly.

Town lined up without Billy Chadwick, or Martin Woods, and this led to some shuffling of the pack, but unlike earlier in the season we still had options to use, with Allen returning from his trip to the Caribbean to play for Monserrat, and Maher stepping forward to fill in the gap in midfield.

Weymouth kicked off and played the ball straight into touch. Byrne took the throw in down the line which was then lofted over the top of the Weymouth back line for Allen to outpace the Weymouth defence resulting in him being brought down and a penalty to Town. Hyde took the spot kick, a weak effort to the left hand side of goal, which the Weymouth keeper managed to block but the rebound fell kindly to Hyde, who gratefully poked home the ball home at the second attempt. 1-0 to the Shaymen with only 2 minutes on the clock. Perfect start.

Town were pressing well, and the Weymouth defenders were finding it hard to get the ball forward. This led to a chance for Earing after a Weymouth player was caught in possession in his own half and Earing had a run through on goal leading to a shot which was easily saved. Weymouth were beginning to get back into the game and began to establish some control in midfield. Weymouth won their first corner in the 16th minute, and this was taken short, with the Town defenders still asleep, but fortunately this came to nothing.

The pressure that had been building eventually paid off for Weymouth when Clarke gave a way a free kick on the Weymouth left wing. This was crossed into the penalty area, with 2 Weymouth players getting in front of the whole of the Town defensive unit for a free header past Sam Johnson, who was rooted to his line. 1-1 and a wakeup call for Town.

Shortly after Town had a great Crossfield move with Earing feeding Senior out wide who cut int the penalty area and rifled a shot into the side netting. Jake Hyde was stood unmarked in the 6 yard box with his arms held aloft in exasperation. On 26 minutes Green hit a long shot from about 25 yards out, when the Weymouth defenders were expecting him to pass the ball, and this very nearly caught the Weymouth keeper unawares, but he produced a good save to keep the low shot out.

30 minutes in and Jeff King was played in behind the Weymouth backline but they recovered to concede a corner. This time the corner was well struck and found Byrne at the back of the 6 yard box where he headed the ball back into the centre of the goalmouth for Tom Bradbury to get in between the Weymouth defenders and the keeper to nod the ball home for a 2-1 lead.

The first half for me was a mixed bag, scrappy, with Town losing control of the midfield for around 20 mins in the middle of the half, but always seeming to be in control. Earing was floating in and out of the game and the use of Maher as part of the midfield was not adding any creativity to the team going forward. Up front we did look lively and capable of scoring more goals, compared to Weymouth who had one real scoring effort, which they took well. The second half hopefully, would see Town step up a gear.

As in the first half Town came out with energy and intent. In the 47th minute Senior picked up a ball midway in the Weymouth half and drove into the area. His shot was blocked but fell to Hyde who shielded the ball and rolled it off to King, he cut onto his left foot and shaped to shoot, but before he could Hyde stole the ball and rifled it home. 3-1 to Town and a 2 goal cushion restored. At this point it was a case of wondering when and where the next Town goal would come from.

Town were now playing with more confidence and Earing was coming more into the game, with Green and Maher asserting themselves more. Town had a few breakaway chances which came to nothing mainly due to bad decisions around the final pass. However, they were looking the more likely of the two teams to score.

By now Williams had come on for Senior and in the 69th minute Micah Obiero came on for Jeff King to make his debut. Obiero was quickly into action running at the Weymouth defence before feeding Jack Earing who hit his shot just too high.  Town then had the best chance of the half to add to the scoreline with a counter attack in the 78th minute, after a quick throw out by Big Sam found Town on a charge into the Weymouth half with a 3 against 1 advantage. This was wasted when Allen decided to take on the defender himself instead of playing Hyde or Obiero in, one on one with the keeper. Obiero continued to impress with a shot in the 87th minute which hit the bar.

In the 89th minute another smart passage of play saw Williams get to the dead ball line and pull the ball back across goal for Weymouth to clear before Hyde pounced for what would have been his hattrick. This was to be punished as Weymouth took play to the other end where a cross was not cleared effectively, with the ball bouncing around on the edge of the Town penalty area and no one in a blue shirt getting the ball out of the danger area, with the ball eventually dropping for a Weymouth player to volley home a shot from 20 yards, which Sam Johnson barely saw before it hit the net. The most disappointing part of this was that it was almost a carbon copy of the second goal for Sutton and which should have been dealt with, poor defending.

Town then managed to run out the clock to earn a deserved 3 points. Weymouth came and made a good attempt to wrestle a point from the game, but Town always seemed to have the edge and the firepower upfront. If Town had taken all of the chances they had the score line could easily have been 5-2. Whilst it was not the free flowing Town we have become used to it was a workmanlike performance and as with other games this season it was difficult to see how Town could lose to a team that had limited options up front and no real way of getting back into the game until the sloppy goal conceded in injury time.

The positives from the game were:

·         Hyde looks to be back to his old self

·         The midfield, even depleted managed to hold it’s own

·         Micah Oberio looks like he will be a handful

·         We scored 3 goals

The only other comment I would make is that the back 3 without Maher in the middle are not as solid on the ball and this leads to less attacking options, as Byrne and Bradbury are not able to venture forward with the ball as confidently as when they have Maher supporting them.

Onwards to the next episode of the end of season run in, with the defeat of Wrexham by Torquay tis has now propelled us into 7th place in the table, even if only on goal difference, but we do have a game in hand on the 5 clubs below us.

Edited by ITMAN
  • Thanks 1
On 4/6/2021 at 1:54 PM, TJAshton said:

I have done best commentators this season were Wealdstone, County and I think it were Kings Lynn. 

Kings Lynn commentary was hilarious for our away match as it was so foggy it was nigh impossible to see anything and I mean anything. All commentators are biased towards their club and rightly so, they are representing their club and giving their version of events, as they see them. Even the pros do that on motd and the like. They do a great job and I hope they both carry on.