Second lockdown and the Shay

Dont think there will be a second lockdown. The country simply cannot afford it. Public health might be a priority but the government I think will refuse to take it to that level because they know the damage it will cause 

• Like 4

The death numbers reported are still quite low. We have been getting on average about 10 deaths a day of late.

I appreciate its 10 deaths more than we'd like, however when you consider how many people die from things like cancer, heart attacks and strokes every day, the question has to be asked how long people are prepared to be locked down. 

The concern I have is that I don't trust the figures we are being told. I think we over reported deaths to start with and I hold no confidence that any of the figures coming out now are anywhere near accurate. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Hoddie said:

The government has supposedly put nightingale hospitals and other emergency infrastructure on standby, does anyone know if this includes the Shay in its guise as a temporary morgue? 

Parts of the stadium are like a morgue on match day anyway, would anyone notice the difference?

57 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The figure that I heard was that out of all the recorded deaths only about 1500 didn't have underlying health issues . But talk of a second lockdown when some businesses are still locked down ? 

Life should be paramount over business, I totally get this, however I fear we are very quickly going to be at that point where shutting down again and crippling the economy could seriously impact the health and wellbeing of just as many, if not more people. 

There is already going to be carnage to come soon with furlough ending. Quite a lot of the more vulnerable people mentally are already struggling with the restrictions that have been in place for months and the thought of prolonging them or even having to start again with them may sadly tip a few over the edge. Then we have to look at those that are running business's, are struggling to find work and put food on the table etc...

It feels we may soon be at breaking point. I'm not sure I know what the answer is, but I fear what the price may be if we enter a second lockdown and have concerns that that lockdown could be more devastating than the actual virus itself. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The figure that I heard was that out of all the recorded deaths only about 1500 didn't have underlying health issues . But talk of a second lockdown when some businesses are still locked down ? 

I think the term “underlying health issues” gets thrown around too casually.

Someone with Asthma falls in to that category, who would have lived a normal and full life without covid. It’s not just people who were hanging on to life by a finger.

Understand people not trusting the death cause figures, but the excess deaths stat can’t lie and it was horrific.

God knows where we go from here, but I just hope we don’t close our eyes, put our fingers in our ears and says it’s all for the good of the economy.

5 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

God knows where we go from here, but I just hope we don’t close our eyes, put our fingers in our ears and says it’s all for the good of the economy.

Sport and recreational businesses are still suffering greatly, even the businesses that have reopened are presumably trading on a greatly reduced footfall . Many businesses have gone to the wall and many more will . A lot of people are acting too casual and not protecting themselves or others . I doubt anybody really knows the way forward and I don't see a vaccine as the golden ticket that some might hope it will be

Although deaths are currently very low the fear is surely that the skyrocketing infection rates will eventually transfer to the more vulnerable sections of society, resulting in increasing death rates. In all honesty, and genuinely being non-political about this, I think the government has been shocking almost from the very start. Seems the lockdowns may even be illegal because they used a spurious law to introduce them, rather than the correct law which would have forced regular parliamentary oversight of all the restrictions, and this is set to be decided in court. Now, being political - if proven, it's simply the latest in an increasingly long line of the Tories trying to bypass and/or ignore the will of parliament. A disturbing development for the UK's hard-won democracy.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Although deaths are currently very low the fear is surely that the skyrocketing infection rates will eventually transfer to the more vulnerable sections of society, resulting in increasing death rates. In all honesty, and genuinely being non-political about this, I think the government has been shocking almost from the very start. Seems the lockdowns may even be illegal because they used a spurious law to introduce them, rather than the correct law which would have forced regular parliamentary oversight of all the restrictions, and this is set to be decided in court. Now, being political - if proven, it's simply the latest in an increasingly long line of the Tories trying to bypass and/or ignore the will of parliament. A disturbing development for the UK's hard-won democracy.

We democratically voted to leave the EU, don't see that went exactly as the people who voted for it expected due to subvertives & law twisting. Nothing new under the sun or rule of law.

2 hours ago, shaymandownsouff said:

I think the term “underlying health issues” gets thrown around too casually.

Someone with Asthma falls in to that category, who would have lived a normal and full life without covid. It’s not just people who were hanging on to life by a finger.

Understand people not trusting the death cause figures, but the excess deaths stat can’t lie and it was horrific.

The excess deaths figure also includes a great number of people that have died due to not being able to receive the appropriate treatment due to the pretty much entire shut down of the health system for those that don’t have COVID.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

We democratically voted to leave the EU, don't see that went exactly as the people who voted for it expected due to subvertives & law twisting. Nothing new under the sun or rule of law.

Two things - we have Brexit. We are no longer a member of the EU. How is that not being exactly what was voted for? Secondly, the public voted to leave, not how to leave or the nature of any future relationship, if any, with the EU - which is what most of the parliamentary arguments were about. I don't deny that many MPs wanted the UK to remain a member of the EU, but that never seriously got any traction. Wish away our democracy at your peril, because these traditions, conventions and laws that they're  constantly chipping away at, were hard-fought for over centuries. Once gone, it could be just as long before we regain them - if we ever do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

This is exactly whats wrong with the world today, the blame game.

Regardless of political stance we went to lockdown to protect lives and it was the right call. 

6 months down the line its decided it should have been done differently, so lets all go to court and see who's at fault. ...What a waste of time..

On 9/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, greygoose said:

This is exactly whats wrong with the world today, the blame game.

Regardless of political stance we went to lockdown to protect lives and it was the right call. 

6 months down the line its decided it should have been done differently, so lets all go to court and see who's at fault. ...What a waste of time..

I don't think that's true, personally. The court case is about getting the government to use the correct legislation so that parliament can be involved in any Covid-19 related emergency decisions. Perhaps then we wouldn't have had the two steps forward, one step back approach adopted thus far. Who knows? But if they've acted illegally, however well intended they may have been, it needs sorting out, otherwise all those people who have been fined and jailed (has anyone been jailed) may well have a case to have their fines and convictions quashed. These things matter in a democracy.

I absolutely agree that lockdown was necessary, if only because no-one could know exactly how the NHS would cope with the pandemic. We now know that it never hit capacity, and that the nightingale hospitals were barely used. We know that they introduced restrictions only for the police to say in the same news bulletin that they couldn't possibly enforce them. The government has put rules in place for the public but many people in government and other related positions of authority have acted like those rules didn't apply to them. Several officials have resigned, while a couple have tried to explain away their actions using loopholes or bad faith interpretations of the rules.

The British people are, by and large, law-abiding, but I fear this character trait is being tested to its very limit.

I still don't support the country returning fully to pre-Covid-19 times, but it has very often come across as though Frank Spencer has been in charge.

38 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Two things - we have Brexit. We are no longer a member of the EU. How is that not being exactly what was voted for? Secondly, the public voted to leave, not how to leave or the nature of any future relationship, if any, with the EU - which is what most of the parliamentary arguments were about. I don't deny that many MPs wanted the UK to remain a member of the EU, but that never seriously got any traction. Wish away our democracy at your peril, because these traditions, conventions and laws that they're  constantly chipping away at, were hard-fought for over centuries. Once gone, it could be just as long before we regain them - if we ever do.

Don't necessarily disagree with most of your observations, although we did give away a large portion of our sovereign laws to the EU & on the face of are now able to regain them.

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, greg45 said:

The excess deaths figure also includes a great number of people that have died due to not being able to receive the appropriate treatment due to the pretty much entire shut down of the health system for those that don’t have COVID.

Well quite, but show the full impact of the pandemic and its response. 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, Hoddie said:

The government has supposedly put nightingale hospitals and other emergency infrastructure on standby, does anyone know if this includes the Shay in its guise as a temporary morgue? 

Nightingale Hospitals never officially got stood down, they were always on standby until end of March. 

• Like 1