9 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

To return to the topic that we should be discussing....

On checking the number of fans that each club takes to away games the following jumps out:

• Stevenage take on average 100-120 fans to away games up North
  • Macclesfield take on average 520 fans to games at Crewe/Salford/Oldham/Port Vale

So if we have Macclesfield playing at the Shay rather than Stevenage we stand to gain by approx. £8,000. Add in the cheaper costs and less time it takes to get to Macclesfield it is quite likely we would take a large following to the Moss Rose Ground.  

They brought a decent crowd when they'd won the conference back in 97.

I can't remember Macc bringing more than 300 since then. Maybe theor away following has risen since but I am pretty sure they've not brought many over 300.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their players as well were shocking that day. Celebrated like they had won the World Cup at full time in what was a nothing game for them. Absolutely no sympathy from me whatsoever. 

So Stevenage stay up, having amassed three victories all season. Surely this is some sort of record for a league which normally relegates two teams?

I reckon that could be Macclesfield finished as a Football Club and I haven’t forgotten the day they sent us down so no love lost from they can go under for me.

1 minute ago, Erik Everhard said:

I can't remember Macc bringing more than 300 since then. Maybe theor away following has risen since but I am pretty sure they've not brought many over 300.

Erik, even at 300, it would still be 3 times more than Stevenage would bring, unless as you say they were top of the table.

3 hours ago, Val_Owen said:

Their players as well were shocking that day. Celebrated like they had won the World Cup at full time in what was a nothing game for them. Absolutely no sympathy from me whatsoever. 

Haven’t forgotten or forgiven Danny Hattersley for that miss at the end after Kevin Roberts hit the post ,People talk about the likes of Shoa Silva and Edwards being poor It just shows what Gold Fish memories some people have .Hattersley the worst Centre Forward ever to play for us never scored a goal once he was permanently signed on the heart of a sheep.

Edited by Forever a Shayman
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

I agree that this would be the sensible solution to the need to balance up the number of teams in EFL2 if both of the culprits were to be relegated, however, we all know that the NL and the EFL would never allow this to happen, as this would undermine and threaten the precarious balance in EFL2 if such a strong club/team were to be "promoted" to where they should be automatically.:D

absolutely this would be catastrophic to the delicate football world order and would herald a Bournemouth-esque rise through to Prem League and European Football should this happen 

7 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Macc away following has always been surprisingly poor

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Macc away following has always been surprisingly poor

Not overly surprised as they have the lowest average home attendance in EFL 2 last season (1998), lower in fact than ours. However, the away figures for clubs in and around Manchester appear to be reasonable. Not sure if this would be the same if a midweek game, although of the 4 games I have numbers for one of them was a Weds night.

The EFL is a bit of a joke, to have Stevenage finish bottom with 3 wins and not get relegated is crazy. If not for financial problems Macc would have been comfortably mid-table. Not to say that they shouldn’t be punished for breaking the rules, as they absolutely should, but there is no consistency being applied. Some of the teams in the Championship were facing financial problems with covid and from what I’ve seen some are having deductions applied at the end of this season and some at the start of next - why? I saw for one of the Championship clubs it was dependent on where they finished in the table - if they’d finished in the relegation zone it would be applied next season and if they finished above the drop it would be applied this season, thus relegating them. That just doesn’t seem fair to me, whoever the club is. Have a rule and apply it consistently when it’s broken.

15 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

I reckon that could be Macclesfield finished as a Football Club and I haven’t forgotten the day they sent us down so no love lost from they can go under for me.

I hope it's not the end of them ..I want to see them bottom of our league next season and get relegated year after year..it will be more painfull

• Like 2

I hope it's not the end of them ..I want to see them bottom of our league next season and get relegated year after year..it will be more painfull

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

I hope it's not the end of them ..I want to see them bottom of our league next season and get relegated year after year..it will be more painfull..

• Like 1
13 hours ago, andrich said:

Not condoning what Macclesfield have done, but the authorities again favouring southern clubs. I wonder if they’d have done the same if it were Stevenage, not Macclesfield in that position.

As someone who’s lived in the south now for a while this always comes across as properly bonkers.

Anytime anything happens, there’s some bloke shouting at the sky that refs/the FA/national league “always favour Southern clubs”

A victim complex that makes no sense when it comes to football.

• Like 1

I’d say I feel sorry for the fans but they celebrated like they’d won the league when they relegated us in a completely insignificant game for them. Karma comes to mind 

• Like 2