Greatest Player To Ever Play at The Shay

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

George Best. 

I have watched Town since 1957 and over the years the player who I enjoyed watching the most was Rick Holden , played with a smile on his face and when he got the ball and set off down the left wing t

He would always start in my best Town 11. For me, he was an amazing talent but it wasn't just that he was one of the biggest characters to pull on a Town shirt. Laughs and superb stories on

3 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Bobby Charlton World Cup winner Man Utd did he play for Preston North End at Shay when he was there player Manager?

No.4 for Preston when they played at The Shay 02/11/1974. Nobby Stiles came on as sub. Town won 3-0.

16 hours ago, ColinCanberra said:

The best ever.   He was brilliant on pitches deep in mud, snow or a cow paddock.  Can you imagine what he would be like today on these grounds, he used to get kicked in the air but never saw him roll around on the ground like todays prim donnas.  The greatest British player ever.

Read a story once, written by Patrick Collins, sports writer of The Mail. It featured Best and one of our old managers, John McGrath. Playing at Southampton on a muddy pitch, Best got the ball and was immediately clattered by McGrath who took him out, getting nowhere near the ball.  Best was seen to get up, pick up the ball and show it to McGrath and verbals followed. Best suddenly broke into a grin before limping off. Asked about it afterwards McGrath said that Best had shouted “ You animal McGrath, you are supposed to kick this” And he replied” Very likely George but I’m not changing my game for you”

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nick said:

Wondering about 1966 works cup winners.. those 11 have won something that no other UK player has done 

so trying to think who .. 

Gordon banks Stoke City FA cup 

Jack Charlton?  Leeds..West Riding Cup  ( and on the golf range) 

Bobby Charlton ? Man U Watney cup 

Any  others ? 

Stanley Matthews played for Blackpool on 15 November 1941 in a wartime fixture at The Shay. 

7 minutes ago, francisfirth said:

I remember a young David Platt scoring for Crewe against and seeing Archie Gemmil playing in a reserves game against us, I always thought he was the epitomy of a hardworking footballer. 

I can remmeber Platt but not Gemmil. 

On 7/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, Erik Everhard said:

Nobby Styles? 

I remember him playing in a testimonial at the Shay in the 90s (I think) but cant remember who the testimonial was for. Anyone remember?

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Said before I used to love going to watch reserve games you got some great players.

Used to love those games,  a quick skive off work for the afternoon ones but more so the cold tuesday night in February with 80 or so other anoraks! 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, francisfirth said:

Used to love those games,  a quick skive off work for the afternoon ones but more so the cold tuesday night in February with 80 or so other anoraks! 

Great nights and although every word from supporters could be heard I cannot remember any abuse like the first team would get.

8 minutes ago, francisfirth said:

When Paddy Roache looked after Football in the Community, we used to ballboy for the reserve games sometimes.  I remember standing behind Mark Beeney, GK, and pestering him for his gloves; never did get them though. Probably season 93/94 if i remember correctly.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:51 PM, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

Chris Waddle played for Torquay at The Shay in 1998/99. Also Tony "Bomber" Brown, who was in the England World Cup squad in 1970, played in 1981.

Frank Lampard senior played for Southend in 1985, until Adie Shaw knocked two of his teeth out.

As I cant remember "Bomber" at all as an International, I looked him up. It seems he wasn't part of the 1970 World Cup Squad making only 1 appearance for England in a 0 - 0 draw against Wales in 1971. I still dont remember him at all to honest.

The Charity Match was the West Riding Press v an International 11.

The team included Nobby Stiles, Trevor Cherry, Jim McAlliog, Arthur Graham, Frank Worthington, Paddy Roache etc.

The West Riding team were losing 3-1 at half time and changed the goalkeeper. Final score 17-2! So much for a presenter on Look North missing his calling!

Crowd 500 as they got vouchers for an upcoming game against Man Utd.

31 minutes ago, jaimetl said:

The Charity Match was the West Riding Press v an International 11.

The team included Nobby Stiles, Trevor Cherry, Jim McAlliog, Arthur Graham, Frank Worthington, Paddy Roache etc.

The West Riding team were losing 3-1 at half time and changed the goalkeeper. Final score 17-2! So much for a presenter on Look North missing his calling!

Crowd 500 as they got vouchers for an upcoming game against Man Utd.

Blimey, I cant remember it being 17-2. My memory obviously fails me but I remembered it being a dour affair.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

As I cant remember "Bomber" at all as an International, I looked him up. It seems he wasn't part of the 1970 World Cup Squad making only 1 appearance for England in a 0 - 0 draw against Wales in 1971. I still dont remember him at all to honest.

Tony Brown wasn't part of the 1970 England World Cup squad but if you don't remember him, I can only assume you're quite young. Absolute legend at West Brom, and their all-time record goalscorer.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

Odd. I saw a photo of him with the squad. Wonder if he went as back-up then released at the start of the tournament. WBA legend.

8 minutes ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

Odd. I saw a photo of him with the squad. Wonder if he went as back-up then released at the start of the tournament. WBA legend.

Probably took a few extra players to Mexico on the off chance that some didn't get beyond Columbia

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Probably took a few extra players to Mexico on the off chance that some didn't get beyond Columbia

Ramsey initially took a squad of 28, but Tony Brown wasn't among them.  Six got sent home before the tournament started, among them Peter Shilton and Brian Kidd. 

1 hour ago, Shaymus said:

Ramsey initially took a squad of 28, but Tony Brown wasn't among them.  Six got sent home before the tournament started, among them Peter Shilton and Brian Kidd. 

He may have been in the original 40 named, from which Ramsey selected his 28, and as you say 6 were then sent home. Unfortunately I cant find anything that names the 40. But he must have been on the fringes of the squad.

16 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

He may have been in the original 40 named, from which Ramsey selected his 28, and as you say 6 were then sent home. Unfortunately I cant find anything that names the 40. But he must have been on the fringes of the squad.

Not even sure about that. Ramsey selected his 28 man squad as early as the first week of April, and included Paul Madeley, who immediately withdrew. Bob McNab was then drafted in as his replacement. The domestic season didn't finish until until the end of April, with the FA Cup Final replay and European Cup Winners' Cup Final being played on the same night, so Ramsey never worked with a forty-man squad. England had a great array of talent at the time, Tony Brown included. He remained at home and played in the Anglo-Italian Cup with West Brom that May while England were in Mexico. As as his been pointed out, his only cap came the following season v Wales in May 1971. 

Edited by Shaymus
  • Like 1