Riders of Rohan

Wembley on Sunday who is going?

So if only things were different this Sunday we should have been “on our way to Wembley”.

I think I would using the coach again for the day as I have a Monday morning start on a holiday to Croatia. Busy couple of days packing and getting ready as it’s an overland trip in the camper van.

A win for the Shaymen and the best ever start for a holibob.

What’s your plan for the big day?

Regardless of if we had got there, I would have been going. Its been our end of season game for so many seasons now. 

There is always a good splattering of Town fans at the Playoff Final. The Cairns family, along with Adam and his parents are regulars along with my group of 4 that always go. 

• Like 1

We had such a good day at the Trophy final, but this time I think with so much at stake we would be a lot more nervous. We really would need to take our chance as they won’t come round very often.

• Like 2

Well, I was scheduled to be leaving this morning for a drive to Spain for 2 weeks holidays, but not going now:angry:

Anyway, if we had made it to Wembley then it possibly would have been a detour via London before getting off to Espana a day or so later. 

7 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Well, I was scheduled to be leaving this morning for a drive to Spain for 2 weeks holidays, but not going now:angry:

Anyway, if we had made it to Wembley then it possibly would have been a detour via London before getting off to Espana a day or so later. 

You obviously drive a lot faster than I do. ( I appreciate you are still working). My Spanish trip took 58days. Croatia trip plan was to drive down the Romantic Road in Germany, Austria, Slovenia (Lake Bled) then Croatia. That’s the most planning I do, usually find my way home eventually. I did book 4 nights at Lake Bled at the end of May and as far as I know they are still expecting me. Dog has his passport and seemingly he is welcome even if us humans aren’t.

7 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

You obviously drive a lot faster than I do. ( I appreciate you are still working). My Spanish trip took 58days. Croatia trip plan was to drive down the Romantic Road in Germany, Austria, Slovenia (Lake Bled) then Croatia. That’s the most planning I do, usually find my way home eventually. I did book 4 nights at Lake Bled at the end of May and as far as I know they are still expecting me. Dog has his passport and seemingly he is welcome even if us humans aren’t.

Yes, as time is limited we tend to do a 2 day run to 100k north of Barcelona, Playa D'Aro, were we have been going once or twice a year for the last 10 years or so. Fairly straight run of about 1200 miles each way, but I manage it on about 10 hours driving each day. Last time I did it back up through France at an average speed of 68 mph and 58 mile to the gallon, courtesy of a very good VW diesel Passat Estate. Mind you it had about 4 case of San Miguel and 6 case of wine on board, with the beer at 1 euro per litre it would be a crime not to bring some home. I have one of the motorway toll sensors so that helps with not having to slow down much for tolls or mess about with money or cards.

At my age now I would not look to try and do the journey in less than 2 days, my wife does not like driving, and when possible we take an extra day stopping off at places such as Carcassonne or Rocamadour on the way down, coming back we just want to get home as the holiday is over and I have to get back to work, as being self employed I don't get paid for being on holiday. I have a plan/dream to get my hands on a VW California and then when I do get around to thinking about retirement in 3-4 years we can set off around Europe like you appear to be doing now. Oh the dreams...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Juryeff said:

I've had it in the diary since january.

Guess you must be a glass half full person then:lol:

8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Yes, as time is limited we tend to do a 2 day run to 100k north of Barcelona, Playa D'Aro, were we have been going once or twice a year for the last 10 years or so. Fairly straight run of about 1200 miles each way, but I manage it on about 10 hours driving each day. Last time I did it back up through France at an average speed of 68 mph and 58 mile to the gallon, courtesy of a very good VW diesel Passat Estate. Mind you it had about 4 case of San Miguel and 6 case of wine on board, with the beer at 1 euro per litre it would be a crime not to bring some home. I have one of the motorway toll sensors so that helps with not having to slow down much for tolls or mess about with money or cards.

At my age now I would not look to try and do the journey in less than 2 days, my wife does not like driving, and when possible we take an extra day stopping off at places such as Carcassonne or Rocamadour on the way down, coming back we just want to get home as the holiday is over and I have to get back to work, as being self employed I don't get paid for being on holiday. I have a plan/dream to get my hands on a VW California and then when I do get around to thinking about retirement in 3-4 years we can set off around Europe like you appear to be doing now. Oh the dreams...

Good stuff. Carcassonne is amazing. Don’t be in a rush to retire. I first retired in 2016 but went back in 2017, confused the hell out of the HMRC. They have finally agreed I don’t have fill a tax form in, having sold up in 2018.

VW California are beautiful conversions. But consider how practical they are for living in for a couple of months at a time. 

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Good stuff. Carcassonne is amazing. Don’t be in a rush to retire. I first retired in 2016 but went back in 2017, confused the hell out of the HMRC. They have finally agreed I don’t have fill a tax form in, having sold up in 2018.

VW California are beautiful conversions. But consider how practical they are for living in for a couple of months at a time. 

Agreed, we are only wanting to use the Cali for travelling to and from long destinations, as we tend to use Eurocamp etc. Out of the main season you can get some really good deals and some of the locations are well worth the journey. We want to one in Sicily a couple of years ago and while it was quite rustic the site itself and the scenery were amazing. We have always wanted the freedom to go to different places as and when the fancy takes you rather than opting for a fixed 2nd home.

Retirement is down to me, as I work in a role which is now mainly consultancy, so I can reduce the number of days a week as I wish and can shut up shop without too much paperwork. While there is work to be done and my input is in demand I will take the money while it lasts. It all goes towards my campervan fund..... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Guess you must be a glass half full person then:lol:

I was convinced at the end of January that we would finish 2nd or 3rd but having seen us at Torquay and home to ebbsfleet we'd have been lucky to finish top 7. Play off final always the aim though.

• Like 1

who would you venture we would have been playing and what would have been the result? am going for Notts County and we lose due to the weight of public sentiment on County's return to the EFL,also spoils our 100% record at Wembley

40 minutes ago, Stasi Pants said:

At least we’ve saved money on suiting up the players. Every cloud.................

Not to mention the coach fare, unless you could get a really good deal to travel on the almost empty trains to London.

Would only have gone obviously if we were there, not interested if we werent. Would have made a weekend of it like last time we went to Wembley when i stayed the night before and the night of the game. Would love to watch us in a playoff final there though 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Cooper’s goal the goal of the game, a 30 yarder. He is now a Shay legend.

What a load of bollocks. He was attempting a cross field pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Would never have gone in if it hadn't hit TSSs arse as he fell to the deck for the 90th time

That implies that he started falling over while still in the dressing room....:D

8 hours ago, Flea said:

What a load of bollocks. He was attempting a cross field pass. 

It still went in and you were all dancing about when it did, you even dropped your phone.