Angus

The ones that got (or were given) away

It’s the middle of the night, I’m furloughed so not working and can’t sleep as my body clock is all over the place, still at least I’m still alive and kicking and you all are as well.

Anyway, as a bit of a change from the ‘favourite player’ sort of thing I started to think about the lads we let go, we’ve discarded etc. Not the ones we sold on (Vardy, Holden etc) or loaners that were never really ours in the first place. 

Thought I’d kick off (!) with Jonathan Gould who wasn’t deemed worthy of a regular spot so went to play for Coventry on the top flight, then Celtic and Scotland . And Scott Hogan, never got much of a chance but has been in the Championship for a good few seasons with the likes of Villa and Brentford 

Thinking caps on chaps!

56 minutes ago, Angus said:

It’s the middle of the night, I’m furloughed so not working and can’t sleep as my body clock is all over the place, still at least I’m still alive and kicking and you all are as well.

Anyway, as a bit of a change from the ‘favourite player’ sort of thing I started to think about the lads we let go, we’ve discarded etc. Not the ones we sold on (Vardy, Holden etc) or loaners that were never really ours in the first place. 

Thought I’d kick off (!) with Jonathan Gould who wasn’t deemed worthy of a regular spot so went to play for Coventry on the top flight, then Celtic and Scotland . And Scott Hogan, never got much of a chance but has been in the Championship for a good few seasons with the likes of Villa and Brentford 

Thinking caps on chaps!

Hogan was definitely one that got away. 

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Thinking caps on chaps!

Just been thinking about a keeper that we let go who went on to play for Boro in the Championship. Local lad, Andy............. can't remember his name. 

Good keeper but he seemed to lack confidence when he played for us. 

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

Just been thinking about a keeper that we let go who went on to play for Boro in the Championship. Local lad, Andy............. can't remember his name. 

Good keeper but he seemed to lack confidence when he played for us. 

Andy Rhodes ?? , Was released by us on a free to Emley , had a 4 year break then played for Bradford and Ipswich.

Simon Eastwood went on to play for Blackburn Portsmouth and Oxford after Aspin got rid after his howler against Gainsborough in the play off semi final second leg at home .

1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Didn't somebody say Frank Worthington was in the junior team? I wasn't born so I don't know. 

He was in the A team which was like Halifax 3rd team. We also released his brother Bob who joined Middlesborough.

Edited by Steve Lanzarote
  • Like 1

Says a lot about the team we had then that Scot Hogan didn’t get to play a lot. I remember him as a head down and chase winger. Ok but I wasn’t that impressed or bothered when he went. Shows what I know.

Simon Eastwood. Played a season for us but then nobody expected him to be a championship keeper at Blackburn. Now at Oxford I believe 

18 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Says a lot about the team we had then that Scot Hogan didn’t get to play a lot. I remember him as a head down and chase winger. Ok but I wasn’t that impressed or bothered when he went. Shows what I know.

HE was competing against Gregory and Vardy, he was the one who wanted to go and initially went to Stocksbridge, would anyone have been happy for him to have been played ahead of Gregs or Jamie.

6 minutes ago, townmad said:

HE was competing against Gregory and Vardy, he was the one who wanted to go and initially went to Stocksbridge, would anyone have been happy for him to have been played ahead of Gregs or Jamie.

Scott hogan has turned out to be better than Greggs

9 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Can't have a thread like this without Morgan, Rainford and Walshaw . What a deadly frontline that would be if we'd kept hold

9 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Can't have a thread like this without Morgan, Rainford and Walshaw . What a deadly frontline that would be if we'd kept hold

Nicknamed the tail end charlies!

Bobby Mimms- didn't play a game for us but we got £15k from Rotherham, went on to play in Blackburn Rovers title winning team  (didn't play enough for a medal) and England Uder 21s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Bobby Mimms- didn't play a game for us but we got £15k from Rotherham, went on to play in Blackburn Rovers title winning team  (didn't play enough for a medal) and England Uder 21s

Think he turned out for us once could well have been a WRCC or cup game.

Paul Willis, went on to premier league with Leicester. 

Shaun Smith who played for crewe up to championship level.

Cameron Jerome who we released in favour of erm... Matthew Hoyle.

Junior Brown - not a superb player, however we had stunk up the Unibond North all season and Aspin's first bit of business was pretty much throwing him out the door. 

Now, we can't argue with Aspin's achievements here and he was certainly vindicated in the end to tell him to get gone (Rumour is Brown's agent went to Aspin demanding the club give them a really good deal if he was to stay and Aspin didn't take to that well), however Brown went into the Football League (Via a season at Northwich) and has never looked back. 

His attitude was apparently all wrong, yet that 2008/09 squad was horrific in quality, attitude and ability. I doubt anyone at the time would have said Brown would have got a good decade of Football League in. 

30 minutes ago, Juryeff said:

Paul Willis, went on to premier league with Leicester. 

Shaun Smith who played for crewe up to championship level.

Cameron Jerome who we released in favour of erm... Matthew Hoyle.

I'd forgotten all about Shaun Smith and I can't remember the circumstances surrounding his departure but his career doesn't fully reflect how good he actually was . An argument for the best left wing ever in a Town shirt ?