born to moan

Only game on TV

Am I right in saying the last time Town were the only game on TV was in the early 60s when Brighton v Town was the only game on MOTD? All the rest of the games cancelled due to snow.

Edited by born to moan

7 minutes ago, born to moan said:

Am I right in saying the last time Town were the only game on TV was in the early 60s when Brighton v Town was the only game on MOTD? All the rest of the games cancelled due to snow.

No. I watched highlights of Notts County. 

1963: When football in Britain froze for nearly 10 weeks

The current deep freeze has nothing on 47 years ago when football was gripped by an ice age

David Miller

Sun 10 Jan 2010 00.10 GMTFirst published on Sun 10 Jan 2010 00.10 GMT

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Brighton v Halifax Peter Downsbrough, the Halifax goalkeeper, makes a flying save in the Third Division match at Brighton in February 1963. Halifax won 1-0. Photograph: PA/PA Archive

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

No. I watched highlights of Notts County. 

Do you mean their game today? It wasn’t shown live on TV, which I assume is what was meant?

If you are counting the highlights they showed on BT at the end of our coverage then we would be what, one of 5 matches was it that were left?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Do you mean their game today? It wasn’t shown live on TV, which I assume is what was meant?

If you are counting the highlights they showed on BT at the end of our coverage then we would be what, one of 5 matches was it that were left?

I thought he meant highlights as in Match of the Day. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I thought he meant highlights as in Match of the Day. 

In 1963 not much live football on TV, England games and Cup Final. The only game on MOTD was a huge thing.

• Like 1

I've just had a little Google and MOTD didn't start while 1964. I think the programme  was called Saturday night Sports Special or something like that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, born to moan said:

I've just had a little Google and MOTD didn't start while 1964. I think the programme  was called Saturday night Sports Special or something like that.

'Saturday Sport'. Here's the TV listings from Saturday 2 February, 1963. Incidentally, there were only four games played that day, all in the bottom two tiers. Games were played at Swindon, Torquay and Oldham. I think the Brighton v Town match was chosen as it was the closest ground to London, and the cameras hot-footed it to Brighton. The BBC were scheduled to show West Brom v Leicester and Luton v Sunderland.

1963.jpg

Edited by Shaymus
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

'Saturday Sport'. Here's the TV listings from Saturday 2 February, 1963. Incidentally, there were only four games played that day, all in the bottom two tiers. Games were played at Swindon, Torquay and Oldham. I think the Brighton v Town match was chosen as it was the closest ground to London, and the cameras hot-footed it to Brighton. The BBC were scheduled to show West Brom v Leicester and Luton v Sunderland.

1963.jpg

Some great TV there Shaymus. Bonanza, Dixon of Dock Green the Arthur Haynes show. Great memories. I was born in1951 my parents got their first TV in 1962 a 12 inch black and white. Spent hours watching it, sat on the floor i was the remote control.

Edited by born to moan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, born to moan said:

Some great TV there Shaymus. Bonanza, Dixon of Dock Green the Arthur Haynes show. Great memories. I was born in1951 my parents got their first TV in 1962 a 12 inch black and white. Spent hours watching it, sat on the floor i was the remote control.

How did I miss Chess at 11:40 on ITV? I know I was 7 at the time and we were all in bed by 19:00, huddled together under out eiderdown, with paraffin heater chucking out noxious fumes which would probably be banned/condemmed today. 

• Like 1

Oh for nostalgia. The outside toilet, the tin bath in front of the fire and in Ripponden. Ah the goods old days. Actually a lot of things were beter then but I certainly dont miss those !

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Oh for nostalgia. The outside toilet, the tin bath in front of the fire and in Ripponden. Ah the goods old days. Actually a lot of things were beter then but I certainly dont miss those !

Don't forget the "filled to the brim potty under the bed" and the iced up, frosty single glazed windows....on the inside !

8 minutes ago, woody said:

Don't forget the "filled to the brim potty under the bed" and the iced up, frosty single glazed windows....on the inside !

Some of us still have those luxuries

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Come on then you old buggers what do you miss the most from them days. Living in Brighouse mine would be Brayshaws Pork Pies. The queues on Bethel St to get them at Christmas went all the way back to Mirfield (exaggerating a little bit on that one).

10 minutes ago, born to moan said:

Come on then you old buggers what do you miss the most from them days. Living in Brighouse mine would be Brayshaws Pork Pies. The queues on Bethel St to get them at Christmas went all the way back to Mirfield (exaggerating a little bit on that one).

Living in Mytholmroyd it had to be meat pies from Waites and you would die for their bilberry pies. I have to pick my own bilberries now on heights road below the golf club. Waites closed after the floods of 2015.

43 minutes ago, born to moan said:

Pork dripping from Brayshaws plus their pork pies when just out of their ovens. Worked on opposite side of road and could watch when they were put in windows

• Like 1

The excitement of going for a Wimpy, wrestling at the Vic (remember i was only about 10 then though).

Oh and watching Halifax Town win more games than they lost (rose coloured specs time)

Edited by ITMAN

Climbing over the wall into the golf club on Paddock Lane and finding the lost golf balls then selling them back to golfers for extra pocket money. Playing football at Warley Road school playground with empty washing up bottles (fairy liquid were the best) in the early seventies.

2 hours ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Climbing over the wall into the golf club on Paddock Lane and finding the lost golf balls then selling them back to golfers for extra pocket money. Playing football at Warley Road school playground with empty washing up bottles (fairy liquid were the best) in the early seventies.

Admit it you were playing Rugby not Football with them bottles.

Plot night and all the mischief leading up to it, round our way anything that was flammable, if it wasn't nailed down or guarded by a dog it was more then likely going to end up on our bonfire. There used to be competition to see who could build the biggest with rival streets coming round to nick your wood, so you ended up having to do security patrols to stop them.

Nowadays it's all organised and health and safety blah blah blah.

There were no chinese super bangers, everything was from Standard Fireworks, or if you were skint Black Cat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Plot night and all the mischief leading up to it, round our way anything that was flammable, if it wasn't nailed down or guarded by a dog it was more then likely going to end up on our bonfire. There used to be competition to see who could build the biggest with rival streets coming round to nick your wood, so you ended up having to do security patrols to stop them.

Nowadays it's all organised and health and safety blah blah blah.

There were no chinese super bangers, everything was from Standard Fireworks, or if you were skint Black Cat.

Those were the days.