Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Ballon D’Or

OWhile I think Messi is a great player has he really done anything this year to merit getting the Ballon D’Or yet again 

surely with no champion league title for Barca .. then there were other better candidates or at least a chance to give it to a new face 

nick 

Messi still is greatest football player on this earth in my small humble opinion. 

However I feel Van Dijk at Liverpool should have won it. The way he has transformed them into serious league challengers and European cup winners since his move needs to be appreciated and he has had the best impact and played the best in the past 12 months. 

12 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Messi is something else. Him and Ronaldo are on a totally different level to all the rest.

Is it a player of the year award, or the best player on the planet award? 

Bobby Charlton can still play better compared to some mugs who are presently active players. But the lesser players would win because they've done more this past year! If you get my weird point! 

32 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Messi is something else. Him and Ronaldo are on a totally different level to all the rest.

You normally get one standout player, someone who could describe as a genius, every generation.

But we've been lucky to have two of the finest players if all time playing at the same time.

Not only that, playing in the same league.

I'm obviously talking about Danny Hattersley and Adam Morgan.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Bobby Charlton can still play better compared to some mugs who are presently active players. But the lesser players would win because they've done more this past year! If you get my weird point! 

A valid point well made.

Comes down to where they both play for me. Centre backs don't pick up big awards. Goals win awards. For the record i thought Van Dijk deserved it this year.

You see it all the time. Tailoring it to us for a second. Brown could make 5 goal line clearences in a match. If a striker scores 1 or 2 goals the striker will win man of the match. Same with the balon dor. 

1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

It’s the player of the year award 

not the best player in the world .. I think players other than Messi did more in the last year .. 

but Messi and Ronaldo will be all time greats 

2 hours ago, Nick said:

OWhile I think Messi is a great player has he really done anything this year to merit getting the Ballon D’Or yet again 

surely with no champion league title for Barca .. then there were other better candidates or at least a chance to give it to a new face 

nick 

No.Only scored & assisted in 70 goals over a calender year.

8 hours ago, ashy1966 said:

No.Only scored & assisted in 70 goals over a calender year.

That's as may be but he's done bugger all in't WRCC.

Edited by Erik Everhard

The whole thing is a farce to be fair.

Riyad Mahrez 9th, 3 places above Raheem Sterling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mj85 said:

The whole thing is a farce to be fair.

Riyad Mahrez 9th, 3 places above Raheem Sterling.

Yes, we thought he was lucky to make the long list. A cynic would say they have an agenda to attain a wider representation from across the continents. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Yes, we thought he was lucky to make the long list. A cynic would say they have an agenda to attain a wider representation from across the continents. 

No mention of Rodney.........or Dave either.

De Bruyne should have given them a close run in my view. Astonishingly good player. 

Top 4 players in the Premier League this calendar year for me are De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Sterling and Mané.

Watching the premiership highlights for the last few weeks, I do expect Jamie Vardy FC to give them all a run for their money come May. 

19 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

De Bruyne should have given them a close run in my view. Astonishingly good player. 

Top 4 players in the Premier League this calendar year for me are De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Sterling and Mané.

Watching the premiership highlights for the last few weeks, I do expect Jamie Vardy FC to give them all a run for their money come May. 

Agree. Had he not sustained a lengthy injury he would have been higher in the list. 

• Like 1