Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

SKIRCOAT SHED MEMORIES - HERE

The final five minutes are worth sticking around for BTW! 

Also here is a longer version of the video which took in the North Stand too (and doesn't include what would be the ending to the above video!) 

Edited by Shaymen Stats
  • Like 1

Only occasionally went in the Skircoat, when it was piddling and stood at the north end but my Uncle had a heart attack sat in the Shed 14/02/53 and although taken to hospital doctors said he had passed when they picked him up.

Got a tear in my eye!! 

Allus stood at the back between the first and second entrance. Absolutely loved it in there and that Rushden match along with the southport thriller is the happiest I've ever been inside the Shay. 

If you could do me a favour, do you have the "Shaymen til we die" book? I'm on a picture whilst sat on the wall holding up my scarf with a few mates for the end of the 1995 season v Kiddy when we thought we were going bust and John Stockwell gave a speech at the end. Be great if you could dig out the photo for me please.  

I always smile when kids these days sing "on Skircoat road, since I was young!!" 

Edited by Icke's Lizard

That wasn't the tuck shop. It's not there any more. Similar sized cabin to the one you pointed out but it was in the terraced end. My group used to stand just by it, and most people I know from the Shay used to stand in front of it.

In fact, at one point in your vid you can see where it used to be, where the paint on the back wall changes.

Oh so many memories come flooding back. One of which is myself and a friend piling into plymouth argyle fans with a couple of brown plastic bread trays from outside the tuck shop when they had entered the Skircoat early. Happy days !!

Edited by Scouse Shayman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Oh so many memories come flooding back. One of which is myself and a friend piling into plymouth argyle fans with a couple of brown plastic bread trays from outside the tuck shop when they had entered the Skircoat early. Happy days !!

My dad and uncle tell me a great story about their mate finding a dead rat in the Skircoat and throwing it into Sheffield Wednesday fans! 

• Haha 1

Used to stand in the Skircoat when I was at school (well, not literally). We always seemed to end up next to a little Scottish guy who was always pissed who we called ‘ beetroot face’ . The guy spent all the game shouting “COME ON GATER” - it took us a couple of games he was aiming his encouragement at Dave Gwyther.....

58 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Got a tear in my eye!! 

Allus stood at the back between the first and second entrance. Absolutely loved it in there and that Rushden match along with the southport thriller is the happiest I've ever been inside the Shay. 

If you could do me a favour, do you have the "Shaymen til we die" book? I'm on a picture whilst sat on the wall holding up my scarf with a few mates for the end of the 1995 season v Kiddy when we thought we were going bust and John Stockwell gave a speech at the end. Be great if you could dig out the photo for me please.  

I always smile when kids these days sing "on Skircoat road, since I was young!!" 

I do have that picture and yes I love the Skircoat song too :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

In fact, at one point in your vid you can see where it used to be, where the paint on the back wall changes.

Ah right! How on earth did a tuck shop fit there!? I always remember it being where I filmed but more than one person has brought this up :)

9 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

I do have that picture and yes I love the Skircoat song too :)

I gave my scarf to Gary Worthington after that match! Said I probably wouldn't be needing it anymore and he gave me a hug! It was proper Charlie Bucket-esque!! 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I gave my scarf to Gary Worthington after that match! Said I probably wouldn't be needing it anymore and he gave me a hug! It was proper Charlie Bucket-esque!! 

THE-SHAYMEN-WILL-SURVIVE

(always). 

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Is that where we used to get a pie or cup of bovril? top of Skirtcoat standing area?

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Is that where we used to get a pie or cup of bovril? top of Skirtcoat standing area?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Yes. 

Honestly space must have been at a premium! 

Did installing seats in the Skircoat alter the original layout of the concreted stepping? You'd struggle to fit a person AND even thin shelves for cupboards and kettles etc in that gap at the top of the stand. 

1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

My dad and uncle tell me a great story about their mate finding a dead rat in the Skircoat and throwing it into Sheffield Wednesday fans! 

They find a dead rat and think it’s a treat 

in the Sheffield slums 

Skircoat on the night we beat Rochdale to get promoted 

never been that full again .. of town supporters:) 

Great video! I can almost smell those urinals once again! Happy memories. :) 

I remember visiting Paddy Snax as a daft teenager with the bright idea of flicking my 50p and seeing if his reflexes were still functioning. He fumbled it and dropped the coin on the floor (and probably thought I was a right t**t!).

I have to add that the view from the original seating area was not as great as the roof supports were closer together. Looking at really old photos of The Shay, this is the oldest part of the stand and the part, presumably, purchased from Man City's Hyde Road ground. The other bit (where the terrace was) was added later on.  Apologies if incorrect! I've looked through Google images to see if I can find a photo of the Skircoat Stand in its original location with no success. 

52 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Those hot pork pies were the best used to burn the gob off me.  Loved those days

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nick said:

Always remember that as a sunny Saturday afternoon? 

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Was the Stoke FA Cup game before? 23,000 at that if I remember.

Edited by Shaytrev

Rochdale at home was a midweek night 

Been bigger gates .. but skircoat was pure halifax and we won 

4 hours ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Enjoy! Completely unscripted and spoke from the heart :)

Brilliant Mr Stats.....had a lump in my throat at times...but great memories nonetheless..

• Like 1