Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

10 years ago today - Prescott away

I think Cables are still celebrating this win. Theres a DVD box set, a whole line of T-shirts and a sporting dinner in remembrance of it. 

• Haha 1

Don't know if I've told this story before,I apologise if I have. Got through the turnstile that day to be greeted by a Fred Elliott lookalike selling half time draw tickets, "I say". I bought some and come half time won 2nd prize in the draw. The announcer said  winners to go to the bar and ask for Ken to claim your prize. I did this went to bar found Ken who was the barman. I've won 2nd prize I said handing over my ticket. He then handed me a cheap bottle of red wine with half the label missing. Is that it I enquired, yes said Ken you're lucky you didn't win 1st prize he said that's a bottle of Albanian Whisky it's like paint stripper. Scousers never fail to amuse, blees em.

• Haha 1

Really strange day, and very frustrating at the time. I’ve always intended on going back, but am yet to return. What a vibe that place had, especially with the bugle player and drummer who excitedly parped along to any ball that went up the field for them.

At half-time a scouse version of Chadders with baked beans smears on his stubble approached us too and asked if we were the second team in Halifax and if there were a “Halifax City” too. At least he was curious.

AFC Halifax had a game that morning and as we were all tucking into a few beers and food in the local pub, a chap came up to us and asked how our season was going and said good luck with your match.

He thought we were the 1st team, it was half 2 and half the lads were on pints!

Oh i do miss that tinpot league.

My main memory from that day was the pitch was an utter cow patch. The ‘main stand’ was quite high and felt like it was about to crumble at any point, with parts of the roof already coming down. It was probably asbestos ridden too. The ball spent 85 mins of the 90 out of play. 

22 minutes ago, Flea said:

My main memory from that day was the pitch was an utter cow patch. The ‘main stand’ was quite high and felt like it was about to crumble at any point, with parts of the roof already coming down. It was probably asbestos ridden too. The ball spent 85 mins of the 90 out of play. 

I'm not sure who they played (could've been Runcorn) but a video emerged on social media last year when Prescott's fans celebrated a goal and the wall behind the goals gave way and fell. 

33 minutes ago, Ash said:

AFC Halifax had a game that morning and as we were all tucking into a few beers and food in the local pub, a chap came up to us and asked how our season was going and said good luck with your match.

He thought we were the 1st team, it was half 2 and half the lads were on pints!

Oh i do miss that tinpot league.

Not the first time that happened to AFC Halifax in those lower reaches...

Newcastle Blue Star programme , with the AFC lads names on the team sheet , absolute comedy gold.

I used to say to my lad that if he didn't drink all his milk he would only be good enough to play for Halifax Town , well he didn't even get that far but his name was on the teamsheet .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monk said:

Newcastle Blue Star programme , with the AFC lads names on the team sheet , absolute comedy gold.

I used to say to my lad that if he didn't drink all his milk he would only be good enough to play for Halifax Town , well he didn't even get that far but his name was on the teamsheet .

We were as stunned as anyone! We sponsored the game that day, it somehow worked out at about £40 a head with a meal! We were asked a bit about us (as sponsors) to put in the programme and the first we know of the error is when we open the programme. We are stunned, the programme lady of Newcastle Blue Star was almost in tears and Bosomworth had a face like thunder! 

Not the first time the opposition didn’t know who they were playing! AFC Halifax, AFC Halifax Town, FC Halifax, they were all the same in the Unibond!

29 minutes ago, Ash said:

We were as stunned as anyone! We sponsored the game that day, it somehow worked out at about £40 a head with a meal! We were asked a bit about us (as sponsors) to put in the programme and the first we know of the error is when we open the programme. We are stunned, the programme lady of Newcastle Blue Star was almost in tears and Bosomworth had a face like thunder! 

Not the first time the opposition didn’t know who they were playing! AFC Halifax, AFC Halifax Town, FC Halifax, they were all the same in the Unibond!

Them were the days Ash - for us and AFC FC Halifax "Calderdale United" Town FC AFC 

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Despite not wanting to watch us at that level there were some great memories .

• Like 1

That level was a farce but was quite funny at times too.

Harrogate Railway running out of food EVERY time they played us BEFORE kick off.

On the flip, we played Norton and Stockton in the FA Cup and I think they had prepared for the Whitby 10,000 to turn up. 

One of the most comical things I remember was some kids getting told they couldn't sit in the seats as it was a "big game" today and those seats were being kept back for Halifax fans. I think it may have been Curzon the first time we played them where that happened. Quite odd to think that to these clubs we were their cash cow and pay day.

The first time we played Curzon they had Greggs the bakers as the provider of match food though. Yet to find better food in any football ground since tbf. 

• Like 1

Some more obscure Unibond to Conference North memories :)

- Our little buddy-up with Colwyn Bay. 

- Vardy vs North Ferriby tearing their RB a new one so much so he was subbed practically in tears. Jamie Vardy did play for a Halifax didn't he!? 

- The Cavell Coo and Lincoln Adams songs then followed up by a picnic bench going through at Woodley. 

- Me exiting Retford into a field behind to have a wee and missing one of Town's goals! 

- Chesh interviewing Aspin. 

- Corby supporters getting a kicking by the 'new' stewards after they scored to make it 3-1. 

- Nigel Jemson loving to admiration not realising we were all half taking the p***. 

- The banter had with a small section of Romulus fans in the Skircoat that culminated in us singing "you must have come on a skateboard" that everyone just laughed at. 

- Vauxhall Motors bringing 3 'fans' with them in 2013.

• Like 1

- playing Stalybridge 'at home' at Spotland. Also that day getting in an awkward dance with then S Celtic manager Jim Harvey saying "be careful with you ticker Jim!". Of course blissfully unaware that in over three years time he'd our manager at Wembley. 

“What a, funny story". 

Going to Shepshed Dynamo, who play at Butthole lane...

’If you like it up the Butthole clap your hands’....

On 11/7/2019 at 12:52 PM, Wilder Bollox said:

They've given Freedom of the City to the 'ballboys' that assisted them on that great day

One ball went out play behind the goal, keeper told some kids to hold on to it and the next time we ventured forwards he told them to throw it on. Sure enough the did and the red stopped play halting our attack. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Flea said:

Going to Shepshed Dynamo, who play at Butthole lane...

’If you like it up the Butthole clap your hands’....

No clapping please, get on trend and try Jazz Hands.