great goal keepers and centre halves who knew how to defend 

nick 

5 minutes ago, Nick said:

Watching England last night 

just how poor were the back four .. think our boys would have conceded less

why have England lost what we always used to have 

nick 

Doesn't matter when you knock 5 past em!

7 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Modern coaching techniques and having a more varied role in playing football further up the pitch rather than sitting back and soaking up pressure and being a brick wall. 

Correct, defenders and no longer on the pitch just to defend, full backs are expected to play as wingers when in possession and centre halfs are judged as much on how they are with the ball at their feet rather if they can head a ball. Its even got to a point where a coach judges a goalkeeper on his distribution over him flapping at crosses and not talking to his defence.

I'm not sure of the stats but i would guess there are more goals scored in the top flight then there were 20/30 years ago? I think its why theres no place for old fashioned managers these days.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Watching England last night 

just how poor were the back four .. think our boys would have conceded less

why have England lost what we always used to have 

nick 

Don’t give a **** if we concede as long as we win. 

This team is so young but has so many young talents within. They’re now actually a really good team to watch and you can tell how they all work for each other. Southgate has done great since coming in and the players love playing for him. Long may it continue. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

Don’t give a **** if we concede as long as we win. 

Sort of, though that won’t be the case with those mistakes against classier teams at next years tournament, as we would more than likely lose

But plenty of time to work on the team

tbh Kosovo were decent for one of the minnow teams and had a go, which admittedly left gaps and cost them in the end. Made it a fun game though

I hope Kosovo finish second and qualify

Edited by Grayski
  • Like 1

Excepts the mistakes were basic...miss placed passes, wrong side of players etc... against a top side we would have been slaughtered 

not impressed 

Edited by Nick

8 minutes ago, Nick said:

Excepts the mistakes were basic...miss placed passes, wrong side of players etc... against a top side we would have been slaughtered 

not impressed 

To be fair, I think against a better side the manager would have set the team up differently,  or I would hope that was the case.

Three goals conceded and three direct mistakes by our three centre backs. MaGuire, Rice & Keane each made ridiculous individual errors that would put schoolboys to shame. It's ok saying that it doesn't matter, but it does, against the Germans, France, Holland etc they would have got ripped to shreds. Our saving grace is the forward line, Sterling was nothing short of superb in the first half, unplayable, what a player Guardiola has made of him. Kosova were no fools and they were unbeaten for quite a while, but as I watched the game into the second half it brought back bleak memories of the WC S/final against Croatia, where we tailed away and allowed them back into the game. As the saying goes, definitely a game of two halves, and we lost the second half 2 - 0.

I wonder how much of it is down to chopping and changing a defence compared to having a settled defence.

I often find ALL International teams defending is not as good as what you see week in week out in domestic leagues and I feel thats because you are lining up with players you don't normally play with. 

On the flip, the best domestic league teams often have a back 4/5 that very rarely changes, bar injury, and those players play with each other week in week out and train with each other day in day out to create a stronger relationship. 

Also - poor or not they sit top of the table having won every game. Can't ask for much more than that. Unlike the Scots who currently sit behind the power houses that are Cyprus and Kazakhstan in their group :D 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Flea said:

I wonder how much of it is down to chopping and changing a defence compared to having a settled defence.

I often find ALL International teams defending is not as good as what you see week in week out in domestic leagues and I feel thats because you are lining up with players you don't normally play with. 

On the flip, the best domestic league teams often have a back 4/5 that very rarely changes, bar injury, and those players play with each other week in week out and train with each other day in day out to create a stronger relationship. 

Also - poor or not they sit top of the table having won every game. Can't ask for much more than that. Unlike the Scots who currently sit behind the power houses that are Cyprus and Kazakhstan in their group :D 

Cant disagree at all Flea, but the three mistakes were really really poor by anybodys standards, 34 seconds and Keane just literally passed the ball to his opponent. The first rule of defending is to never dive into a tackle, especially in the box and MaGuire, who to be fair is our leading light at present commits the cardinal sin. Yes I'm really happy with England these days, I love seeing the young lads throwing caution to the wind, but against better opposition we will ultimately pay the price. I would have loved to have seen James Madison get some minutes in one of the games though, I genuinely believe he's one of our real future talisman. Time will tell though.