Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Supporters Club Meeting, Pete Wild

Recommended Posts

Always said (last season) Southwell in a decent team will score goals. Last season at times I felt for Southwell. He was constantly played out of position. I’ve said again this season. I think Kossy in this team would flourish. We don’t need Dave. Southwell will end up our Top scorer this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gavlar said:

Always said (last season) Southwell in a decent team will score goals. Last season at times I felt for Southwell. He was constantly played out of position. I’ve said again this season. I think Kossy in this team would flourish. We don’t need Dave. Southwell will end up our Top scorer this season. 

He shouldn’t be up too on his own. He will have to be up there with TSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Never had a chance to shine last season, used as a target man with no support, lost his desire due to being played incorrectly. Most games he had to come back to the halfway line to pick up the ball, he is a goal area player & will score if played in correctly.

Its amazing how a player gets better when he's not available, lets hope i'm wrong here but Southwell showed nothing more than Preston and Edwards last season & had he not been contracted would probably have been shown the door as well.

Other than a decent scoring record in his short spell at Guiesley he's done nothing above National North where he was successful with Boston. So whilst i'm sue Wild will give him a chance at some point i will be very surprised if he turns out to be the answer to our striker problems.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greygoose said:

Disagree, the only way Southwell can succeed is if he plays up along side some like Silva because he doesn't have a physical presence, were currently playing a system based on 1 up front so i the only option would be him instead of Tobi which imo wont work.

Southwell will definitely benefit from Cameron King in advanced midfield role, getting in those pockets and threading through balls, I can really see that combo regularly coming up trumps!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Its amazing how a player gets better when he's not available, lets hope i'm wrong here but Southwell showed nothing more than Preston and Edwards last season & had he not been contracted would probably have been shown the door as well.

Other than a decent scoring record in his short spell at Guiesley he's done nothing above National North where he was successful with Boston. So whilst i'm sue Wild will give him a chance at some point i will be very surprised if he turns out to be the answer to our striker problems.

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a striker, Liam McAlinden, our top scorer, nothing wrong with him unless Wild thinks the poor lad is tired again. If so, at his young age, he is having too many late nights or he needs to see a Doctor

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

Correct.

Disagree, he's a player with good movement and feet but had no chance in Fullarton's negative set up, will be a different player in Wild''s team particularly if Cameron King remains fit. Comparing him to Preston and Edwards is somewhat facile I think, but it's a game of opinions and he'll need a bit of time to regain sharpness after such a long lay off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The beautiful game said:

Disagree, he's a player with good movement and feet but had no chance in Fullarton's negative set up, will be a different player in Wild''s team particularly if Cameron King remains fit. Comparing him to Preston and Edwards is somewhat facile I think, but it's a game of opinions and he'll need a bit of time to regain sharpness after such a long lay off.

What do you base your opinion on? He was average at guiseley when they were relegated, came to us and did nothing !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

What do you base your opinion on? He was average at guiseley when they were relegated, came to us and did nothing !

 

Scored 7 in 18 in a relegated team, so over 46 games with that average he would have got 17 goals. Hardly a bad or even average tally. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ewalsh said:

Scored 7 in 18 in a relegated team, so over 46 games with that average he would have got 17 goals. Hardly a bad or even average tally. 

I'm purely commenting on what I have seen, and in my opinion he is not that good, and I will be surprised if he even gets in the team. We have much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The beautiful game said:

Disagree, he's a player with good movement and feet but had no chance in Fullarton's negative set up, will be a different player in Wild''s team particularly if Cameron King remains fit. Comparing him to Preston and Edwards is somewhat facile I think, but it's a game of opinions and he'll need a bit of time to regain sharpness after such a long lay off.

Why is wrong to compare him to Edwards & Preston? They all played under the same manger in the same system last season, perhaps under PW those 2 would be better as well?

Duku & Rodney showed Southwell, Edwards & Preston up for the poor players they were under the same manger and showed that his system could suit the right striker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

We have got to hope that southwell will add to what we've already got or else there is no point keeping him. 

Or are we just, like we've done before, keeping him during his  rehabilitation and when he is deemed fit we let him go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ewalsh said:

Scored 7 in 18 in a relegated team, so over 46 games with that average he would have got 17 goals. Hardly a bad or even average tally. 

I think it’s more basing of what we’ve seen of him. What I’ve seen he looks very average at best. 

However in this team there’s no way he can be up top on his own as it won’t work. He has to be up top with TSS or Macalinden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I think it’s more basing of what we’ve seen of him. What I’ve seen he looks very average at best. 

However in this team there’s no way he can be up top on his own as it won’t work. He has to be up top with TSS or Macalinden. 

I can only judge him on last season as thats when I really started to watch him.

However in an attacking sense last year everyone for us was pretty naff, due to the dour set up we had. Players whom I would have happily seen go in the summer now look twice the players they were now in this new system.

Not sure how Southwell will fit into our current system and team however as far as I am concerned he is getting a clean slate and I will be judging him on this years performances.

I’m trying to forget a lot of last year tbf. Bar our defensive record its best forgotten about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

What do you base your opinion on? He was average at guiseley when they were relegated, came to us and did nothing !

 

So avarage that he scored 11 goals in a crap team that got relegated?

If we play to his strengths, you may think differently.

I don't undertand why Fullerton signed him then played him in role that was not suited to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TJAshton said:

I think it’s more basing of what we’ve seen of him. What I’ve seen he looks very average at best. 

However in this team there’s no way he can be up top on his own as it won’t work. He has to be up top with TSS or Macalinden. 

I also have doubts that he can play in this system because he just doesn't have the strength. He will have better players out wide and more support from midfield. Big season for him.

Anyone else suspect that the Cooper signing would allow Pete to go with a 4 4 2 formation? Play Cooper and King, that's if Cooler plays well that is.

It just gives Pete another option to change he the game from the bench or a reshuffle of the team.

It sounded like Yeovil did their homework and did a good job on us. I'm sure Pete will want to have his own change of tack if he comes up against a team like that again.

Plan B I think they call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...