born to moan

Poor management.

4 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Bollocks.

There is absolutely no question that Gregory dropped a lot of muscle mass (particularly his upper body) between the 11/12 and 12/13 season.  He then went on to have his best two seasons before moving to Millwall. 

6 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

So Cameron King must remain a wimp cos muscle mass will do no good.

Not at all, it's just about finding the balance between size and strength conditioning to improve his game.  Every individual is different. 

The right work in the gym is vital for any player who wants to achieve their full potential.  I don't know what gym work our current squad do.

1 minute ago, never_shay_die said:

Not at all, it's just about finding the balance between size and strength conditioning to improve his game.  Every individual is different. 

The right work in the gym is vital for any player who wants to achieve their full potential.  I don't know what gym work our current squad do.

Compared to Yeovil, none. (Excluding Matty Brown)

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Bollocks.

You definitely didn’t watch when in our first conference north season then, his upper body was enormous, and sizing down worked massively in his favour

6 hours ago, ewalsh said:

You definitely didn’t watch when in our first conference north season then, his upper body was enormous, and sizing down worked massively in his favour

It doesn't work in King's. favour, that is for sure, he needs meat, spuds and veg, lots of it.

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

It doesn't work in King's. favour, that is for sure, he needs meat, spuds and veg, lots of it.

Don't consider King bulking up will help him last 90mins plus, his game is built on mobility, sticking a couple of stone on a wiry frame will not make him better to last a game, probably the opposite. If he has an underlying problem with stamina or carrying a muscular or skeletal injury that's where the solution needs finding.

I consider this the perfect physique for a pro footballer. Never done Adebayo Akinfenwa any harm carrying a few extra pounds. Scares the crap out of most players on the pitch, including his own team and you dont see him getting knocked off the ball very often. And he lasts 90mins. Proper player?

akinfenwa.png

adebayo-akinfenwa-northampton-town-training_3376385.jpg

gettyimages-535885470-612x612.jpg

23 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

I consider this the perfect physique for a pro footballer. Never done Adebayo Akinfenwa any harm carrying a few extra pounds. Scares the crap out of most players on the pitch, including his own team and you dont see him getting knocked off the ball very often. And he lasts 90mins. Proper player?

akinfenwa.png

Somehow don't see King being able to carry that sort of body on his frame, different positions different requirements in terms of build.

4 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

akinfenwa.png

Every individual is completely different.  What works for one player won't work for another.  A player blessed with pace for example could easily lose a yard or two with that kind of bulk. In fact, in Akinfenwa's case  some of his managers have tried to get him to lose muscle mass as the consensus is that he would be a better player, but he loves weight lifting so much he has refused. 

That's not to say muscle and strength isn't important.  But it needs to be balanced against athleticism, speed, agility etc. Perhaps Ronaldo has the closest I can think of to a "perfect" footballers physique but he works incredibly hard for it.

Nobody has said King needs to become Mr Universe 2020 but he definitely needs upper body strength. He is easily knocked off the ball in shoulder to shoulder challenges. What are your solutions to this problem?

24 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Nobody has said King needs to become Mr Universe 2020 but he definitely needs upper body strength. He is easily knocked off the ball in shoulder to shoulder challenges. What are your solutions to this problem?

I'm no expert but I tend to agree.  As with many players I think King would benefit from core/upper body strength and conditioning training. 

He is already a very good player on his day and he has the potential to play at a higher level.  Work in the gym would help him assuming of course that he is not already doing it!

Edited by never_shay_die

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Pork pies & drip bread, also the Charles Atlas correspondance course but watch out for the chest expander springs they can wreak havoc with your nipples:wacko:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Pork pies & drip bread, also the Charles Atlas correspondance course but watch out for the chest expander springs they can wreak havoc with your nipples:wacko:

Drip bread is provided in This Oak at the end of Clare Road on match days believe it or not.

17 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

You that old Roy Charles Atlas? (he never used chest expanders though.

Just now, Shaytrev said:

Drip bread is provided in This Oak at the end of Clare Road on match days believe it or not.

Yes I saw that as well. Another age thing trev. Plenty of salt on.:D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Problem solved, short trip for drip. Just need to ask the right peopleB)

9 hours ago, hunsworthhound said:

Back about 1980 we had a player called mick Kennedy  he was told to eat regularly  at the shay cafe to bulk up his physique.  It worked following season he was sold to huddersfield  for £100,000

£50,000

Gosh when I think of the list of scrorny little world class players I have witnessed over the last 50 yes of watching football my mind boggles! Brains, skill and sheer determination will win over Braun most of the time.