Sign in to follow this  
steve lumb

The Times

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Why is me having an opinion stopping you from enjoying it? And, frankly, you're not aware otherwise you and others wouldn't keep coming out with the same nonsense.

Oh shut up Hobble. :P I hope you don't walk with a limp or poor Janis will never forgive herself.

Edited by Erik Everhard

49 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Very sure. I was in a hotel right outside Wembley and the route to the stadium was packed with vendors selling blue and white scarves, hats, etc. some with Halifax Town on, some with HTFC and some generic, all of which sold out a couple of hours before kick-off. Several people tried to buy our stuff. We won the final - where was the commemorative merch from that?

Ok, I bow to your superior knowledge. All I was saying is that the club produced and sold £1000's of merchandise, and that on my walk from the mainline station to the ground I didn't see any third party sellers. I am sure those you saw are at every Wembley game irrespective of who is playing

17 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

Ok, I bow to your superior knowledge. All I was saying is that the club produced and sold £1000's of merchandise, and that on my walk from the mainline station to the ground I didn't see any third party sellers. I am sure those you saw are at every Wembley game irrespective of who is playing

If The Who were playing then why sell Town scalves? 

46 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

I also walked that way Steve, but where hoddie describes himself as staying, that is where all merchants “set up” on Wembley way. As you say, this is at every game regardless of who’s playing. But that doesn’t discount what Hoddie says either. Although I do think Wembley was our first real foray into merchandise and the point that the commercial and hard work of Louisa really took off

4 hours ago, Hoddie said:

I think this BoD have, on the whole, done pretty well. I just wish people wouldn't forget where they started from, or the 97 years of history before they arrived that they so casually discarded. I wish they'd have listened to the Supporters' Trust and the Supporters' Club during those early years, got the fans on-side from day one rather than wasting a decade before, for example, building bridges with Johnny Meynell and others. I wish they'd treated the club's centenary year with the respect it deserved rather than as a casual afterthought. They made a big deal about changing the club's crest in order to make it more marketable, but then for years failed to release much if any merchandise with the new crest on (we all know the real reason and it isn't this). You say that much of my criticism is given in hindsight, but that's crap and you know it. You of all people have given me grief for calling out the club's shortcomings over the years - many of which have since been rectified.

JF was taking this club backwards. That's my opinion and you're entitled to think otherwise. There is absolutely no way in hell he would have employed the same or similar tactics to Wild.

There is no transparency in Halifax Town's budget. None. What we know is that DB says the club is running at a managed 6-figure loss. That's all. The club's accounts are so abbreviated - which is perfectly legal - it leaves absolutely no room to see if any problems or issues are accruing. Though I grant you, they are at least submitting accounts which is a great improvement over previous BoDs.

I have consistently said that people should be careful what they wish for when asking this BoD to bugger off. The only reason I would want them to go is if they harbour no intentions to progress the club towards and into the Football League. But, when the time comes and they leave the club solvent with no debt, if the new owners suddenly have to cut the cloth because this BoD have used previous windfalls to sustain otherwise unsustainable budgets, buggering off just as those windfalls run out, you can bet your arse that people will be calling the new owners, whoever they may be, useless compared to this current BoD. Time will tell I suppose.

Hoddie we can agree to disagree on some points. With regard to budgets they are transparent because the profit /loss are publicised by company house every year. I doubt any club would pre disclose the amount they have to spend.each year .

You should get yourself over from Belgium the atmosphere is the best it’s been for many months.

Just read somewhere online (will try refind the link) that Wembley actually take 40% of the profits if selling official club merchandise. Which is probably why in all the games I’ve seen at Wembley (which was all the finals this year) no club has sold any official merchandise, and it is what fans have bought beforehand, like we did before making the trip down. The only club to sell official merchandise was Tottenham, but even then that was their home at the time.

Also if I remember rightly, Louisa and a couple of others were still trying to shift stock when the coaches departed for Wembley which boosted sales even more.

The dodgy dealers are at every game unfortunately