Sign in to follow this  
Ash

Pete Wild

Luton did have a good side that year but to say they are the stand side over the last 7/8 years is wrong Tranmere were excellent they beat us three times Cheltenham, Lincoln and last season Leyton Orient were brilliant at the Shay.  Funny the only one of those sides I've mentioned that we actually beat when they were Champions Luton.

9 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

Apparently we’re playing a closed doors game on Tuesday with Dayle putting in some minutes. I guess Wild’s starting to get into this Sat-Tues-Sat lark.

And Steve Lanzarote, I’m sorry but as an armchair fan you’re not convincing me that Luton were the last impressive team at this level. Bizarre shout given Lincoln City had the best season in Conference history a few years later. Leyton Orient were also a handful, but Tranmere in particular tore it up the three times I saw them that season, and they were still at it when I saw them edge towards promotion this spring. Bristol Rovers also had real quality over the 90 minutes, and we may never know how Cheltenham were given we got a Darren Kelly comedy club performance and a title parade game against them. That Luton stuff is based on their levels of support, and how well-matched we had the pleasure of being at the time.

Still say Luton the stand out team and even though I am an ARMHAIR fan I bet I seem more football games than you have. The teams you mention are good teams but I still do not believe they had the quality of Luton. The season Luton went up the team in this league in general where of a better quality.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Cambridge were quite a unit, Macclesfield were slick . Not seen much to fear this season

Cambridge were good but we should have beaten them, a quarter of the way through the season they looked as though they could walk the league.

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Still say Luton the stand out team and even though I am an ARMHAIR fan I bet I seem more football games than you have. The teams you mention are good teams but I still do not believe they had the quality of Luton. The season Luton went up the team in this league in general where of a better quality.

It’s the last sentence that sways me to agree with Steve. A lot of players that season went on to play in the football league. Woking for example finished 9th-12th (without looking) and had Jack Marriott (Derby) and Jayden Stockley (PNE) as their strike force. We had Mark Roberts, Matty Pearson, Lois Maynard, Lee Gregory, Dan Gardner. All went to play in the football league.

Its hard to say who are the best team, as they’ve not played each other, and you can only beat what’s in front of you. But, I think Luton won the league when the standard was better all round, rather than just a couple of teams that were above and beyond

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

My point is, regardless of you having arm hairs or not, that even if no sides in seven seasons have been Luton’s level, trying to precisely compare such is like guessing the number of Millions in the sweet jar.

7 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Cambridge were good but we should have beaten them, a quarter of the way through the season they looked as though they could walk the league.

There were some outstanding players I. His league when Luton topped the table. It was a golden era for non league football. So with this in mind it's a given that Luton were the last real standout quality side in this division. Taking nothing h away from the teams that have won it since but Luton really did stand out.

You don't need to watch every game to be able to make a judgement or offer an opinion. Loads of footage online to view as well articles to read and assessments made by football managers and sports writers. That's on top of making your own decisions.

You can watch one game and no more about the game than someone that watches every match, and visa versa, obviously.

46 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

My point is, regardless of you having arm hairs or not, that even if no sides in seven seasons have been Luton’s level, trying to precisely compare such is like guessing the number of Millions in the sweet jar.

Whatever.