Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Successful town managers

When it comes down to it we have not had many successful managers 

and by success I mean that their/our success has caused other clubs to come in and tempt them away 

the only two I can come up with is

alan ball who quit us to go Preston and George Kirby to go to Watford 

cant think of any others who bigger clubs came in for, any one else I am missing 

it just goes to show how unsuccessful we have been as a club 

hoping Pete Wild makes that very short list 

nick 

Seem to remember someone like Carlisle or Shrewsbury trying to poach Aspin in his time with us too.

Yes but none of them were spirited away by other clubs 

no one coughed up the cash to take them away 

Not really a fair metric of success. Did any other club try and poach Alex Ferguson during his Man Ure success? 

Cambridge did come in for Wilder I seem to remember. But yes, strange measure of 'success' Nick, I'll have to pass on that one.

1 hour ago, wrighty130 said:

Very strange measure of success

Is it ? 

What better test of success is there for a manager down the leagues when clubs higher up come in and tempt you away 

Man U went for solskjaer from molde 

chelsea for lampard 

brighton for the guy from Swansea 

Villa took the guy from ? Brentford 

Sheffield took wilder from Peterborough

even Halifax took heath  from north Ferriby 

it goes on all the time.. clubs look at a club that is doing well and try and takeaway their manager 

5 minutes ago, Nick said:

Is it ? 

What better test of success is there for a manager down the leagues when clubs higher up come in and tempt you away 

chelsea for lampard 

it goes on all the time.. clubs look at a club that is doing well and try and takeaway their manager 

It really doesn't.

It can and does happen obviously but it's not a great measure of success imo. Chris Wilder was sacked as Town manager but look at him now. Having also been sacked by Town, Aspin was later picked up by Gateshead despite pointing Town in the direction out of that division, and later still managed in the Football League. Town haven't had many successful managers because we've struggled to attract them in the first place, for various reasons but probably mostly because we were the League's whipping boys for at least half of our 70 year tenure.

It's far more common for clubs to and hire the best manager currently looking for work, if only to save cash on a severance payment. Most BoDs also want a 'known' manager rather than be willing to pull one from a division or two below them, and will always look at those candidates who've managed higher up the league than below.

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Chris Wilder was sacked as Town manager but look at him now.

Was he sacked? Or was there no team to manage?

31 minutes ago, Nick said:

chelsea for lampard 

I very much doubt Man U or Chelsea would have gone for either manager had they not previously played for the club. The fact that they did is hardly an endorsement of their managerial ability, experience or previous success.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

Was he sacked? Or was there no team to manage?

The administrator terminated all contracts except for a player he was negotiating a fee for, I assume this included Wilder. Sacked is maybe a harsh term, redundant maybe?

37 minutes ago, Nick said:

Is it ? 

chelsea for lampard 

Wilder at- Alfreton, Halifax,  Bury  (assistant manager), Oxford United, Northampton and the Sheffield United.

16 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

The administrator terminated all contracts except for a player he was negotiating a fee for, I assume this included Wilder. Sacked is maybe a harsh term, redundant maybe?

Redundant yes.

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

I very much doubt Man U or Chelsea would have gone for either manager had they not previously played for the club. The fact that they did is hardly an endorsement of their managerial ability, experience or previous success.

Perhaps 

but compensation was paid in both cases ..

and both were successful at their clubs 

40 minutes ago, Nick said:

Perhaps 

but compensation was paid in both cases ..

and both were successful at their clubs 

Lampard was hardly successful at Derby - less points per game than both McLaren and Rowett.

OGS relegated at Cardiff and sacked with them 17th in the Championship the next season.

Edited by greg45

3 hours ago, Nick said:

Is it ? 

chelsea for lampard 

Using that logic, is Pete Wild a failure because we didn't poach him from a club then?

Not being  poach does make you a failure 

But being poached mean you are judge a success 

9 hours ago, steve lumb said:

And Nick, not sure Wilder was ever at Peterborough;)

Like others, think this thread is meaningless 

Yes you are right confused Peterborough with Northampton 

the thread was in response to comments on another thread about JP where we t got into a discussion on who were our successful managers 

mans my thought was simple I could only think of two of our managers who had been poached 

and in reality both managers had success at the club 

one being the only manager to get us a league promotion and the other took us to 3rd in the old third division out highest ever league position 

no other post war manager has been poached 

So fine that you find it pointless.. but in reality town have only had two managers that other clubs would classify as a success