Sign in to follow this  
archietaylor7

Uncertain

Question leaving out Maher rarely lose when he is playing 

23 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

err, he was injured

The note I saw did not say that .. so thanks for clearing that up 

1 hour ago, nw3casc1 said:

Take a point at Aldershot......win at home draw away....!!!

We don't do draws anymore.

If we were still unbeaten with 4 draws we would have less than half the points we currently have.

I am prepared to lose a few to get more wins.

2 hours ago, rdj said:

We don't do draws anymore.

If we were still unbeaten with 4 draws we would have less than half the points we currently have.

I am prepared to lose a few to get more wins.

We should not have lost to Wrexham. We are far better than how we lost the game.

We need to be a little more patient & give Pete Wild a bit more time to work on the areas of concern. He only had 2 weeks to assemble the remains of the squad & it will take time for him to assess what is needed.

3 wins out of 4 games is a superb start to the season given what he had, when he took over.

As previously said, judge him after 10-15 games. If we are still in a similar position it will have been a remarkable achievement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, archietaylor7 said:

I'm not sure how to sum tonight's game up. Battered in the first half, the only positive thing to say about it was that we made it to half time at 0 - 0. We faired much better in the second half to the point where we looked good, but if ever a game showed where our real problems lay, then look no further. Even 4 games in I'm uncertain about Binnen Williams, whether it is just match fitness I dont know but particularly first half he was so far off the pace it was embarrassing. Wrexham ripped the lad to shreds time after time. Jeff King, uncertain. Hasn't produced anything to suggest he's a game changer, for a winger he seems to have an aversion to taking on his man. Not what we want to see as he also has a tendency to continually give the ball away with crap passing. But please excuse me for doing my impression of the broken record, but if we dont get a real striker very quickly then say hello to another season like last season. We just dont have anyone in our squad who looks capable of putting the ball in the net. Dont get me started on Odelusi's  embarrassing miss towards the back end of the game, the one where he nearly knotted his legs when throwing himself to the floor. Thank god we have a decent defence again, although they shouldn't be to pleased with the goal. Come on lads your better than that.

Spot on assessment with the obvious weak links identified.Hopefully Wild has enough in the squad/budget to change things around when needed.

1 hour ago, Macam blue said:

We need to be a little more patient & give Pete Wild a bit more time to work on the areas of concern. He only had 2 weeks to assemble the remains of the squad & it will take time for him to assess what is needed.

3 wins out of 4 games is a superb start to the season given what he had, when he took over.

As previously said, judge him after 10-15 games. If we are still in a similar position it will have been a remarkable achievement.

Cant really agree with the first part of your thread Macam, yes, we've had a great start to the season and I am like all Town fans thrilled, BUT, the main issues are already identified and need to be addressed now. 10/15 games in is a third of the season and points dropped now cause all the problems later. We are only a couple of players short to enhance the squad but we need them sooner not later. And if we are serious about mounting any kind of challenge then it has to be done. We've dropped from 1st to 2nd in the table, something we've all witnessed before, how far do we want to drop before we fix the problem, last season we dropped to 19/20th before we got what we all knew we needed. Fix it now!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

Spot on assessment with the obvious weak links identified.Hopefully Wild has enough in the squad/budget to change things around when needed.

Cheers Eddies mate, but I forgot to add in that last night also showed how important Maher is to the squad. To those who dont like Staunton & Maher together, for me, last night showed that we are better with both of them being solid in the middle. It also highlighted how short of good cover we are. Should have been Earing and not Odelusi.

5 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Cheers Eddies mate, but I forgot to add in that last night also showed how important Maher is to the squad. To those who dont like Staunton & Maher together, for me, last night showed that we are better with both of them being solid in the middle. It also highlighted how short of good cover we are. Should have been Earing and not Odelusi.

Totally agree and on last nights effort Nolan needs to step up too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Cant really agree with the first part of your thread Macam, yes, we've had a great start to the season and I am like all Town fans thrilled, BUT, the main issues are already identified and need to be addressed now. 10/15 games in is a third of the season and points dropped now cause all the problems later. We are only a couple of players short to enhance the squad but we need them sooner not later. And if we are serious about mounting any kind of challenge then it has to be done. We've dropped from 1st to 2nd in the table, something we've all witnessed before, how far do we want to drop before we fix the problem, last season we dropped to 19/20th before we got what we all knew we needed. Fix it now!!

Wild has been in the job a month. He has inherited a squad of players he has had to assess to identify where he needs to strengthen. Hopefully there is still money left to make additions and Wild is a better person to find those players. The fact that he knows how to change things during a game gives me confidence he can find the players he needs soon. JF refused to change things and couldn't recruit until it was nearly too late that's the difference.

1 minute ago, eddies mate said:

Totally agree and on last nights effort Nolan needs to step up too.

Nolan and Jeff King both need to step up their performances 

18 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Wild has been in the job a month. He has inherited a squad of players he has had to assess to identify where he needs to strengthen. Hopefully there is still money left to make additions and Wild is a better person to find those players. The fact that he knows how to change things during a game gives me confidence he can find the players he needs soon. JF refused to change things and couldn't recruit until it was nearly too late that's the difference.

We are agreeing Shaymen, we just dont want to leave it to long before we get the players we need. We could start with Nathan Blisset or even his uncle Luther??

1 hour ago, archietaylor7 said:

Maher would not of enhanced our chances of winning the game last night though would he?

This is my problem with the 2 of them, when were chasing a game they dont have attacking ability to drive the team forward from the middle. All good and well when were protecting a lead like the previous 2 games at home but will they help us chase a game? i cant see it.

I still think the answer is already in the squad. 

Sho Silva although he is a tryer i can't see him as prolific. Infact at this moment in time i'd rather have Mcalinden in for a purely goalscoring perspective. 

When Southwell comes back i'd be interested to see how he fairs when we are passing into feet. 

Maybe Silva could be utilesed outwide. 

18 minutes ago, Greggs said:

I still think the answer is already in the squad. 

Sho Silva although he is a tryer i can't see him as prolific. Infact at this moment in time i'd rather have Mcalinden in for a purely goalscoring perspective. 

When Southwell comes back i'd be interested to see how he fairs when we are passing into feet. 

Maybe Silva could be utilesed outwide. 

In this league you simply must have a physical presence up top, so the answer atm is probably to tweak the formation and have someone play up with Silva, Mcalindon looks the obvious choice for this. I don't see Mcalindon or Southwell getting much joy as a lone striker. 

Don't think changing the formation will work. Moving 2 up top. Means you can only have 2 in the centre of the park and we really can't be moving King back takes away what he can do with the ball.

We can't accomodate 2 strikers. A 10 and 2 midfielders and 2 wingers in the same formation  

1 hour ago, greygoose said:

Maher would not of enhanced our chances of winning the game last night though would he?

This is my problem with the 2 of them, when were chasing a game they dont have attacking ability to drive the team forward from the middle. All good and well when were protecting a lead like the previous 2 games at home but will they help us chase a game? i cant see it.

I think they are looking good as a pair, the more they play together the better they will get as that pair. They are already developing the system of one or the other moving forward to help attack while the other sits and covers. I just think that we unfortunately went into last nights game without our current strongest team and that team is with both Staunton & Maher. Allen is fabulous, move McAlinden to central role and move Silva out wide for now. Cameron is on fire, we need to protect him, they started kicking lumps off last night. But I will argue forever or at least until we get an out and out striker that that is our real problem at the moment.

• Like 1

Personally like what Wrexham did first half. Had 3 attacking players fairly narrow, a man just behind them and used the full backs for width with two of the attackers coming out if needed. Gave them men in the box and then one of the midfielders dropped back to support the defence. Really helped them control it early doors and not give us much in the way of space. 

25 minutes ago, ewalsh said:

Personally like what Wrexham did first half. Had 3 attacking players fairly narrow, a man just behind them and used the full backs for width with two of the attackers coming out if needed. Gave them men in the box and then one of the midfielders dropped back to support the defence. Really helped them control it early doors and not give us much in the way of space. 

That only really works if your on top in the game though. If your under the cosh and have a quick break the full backs couldn't get there quick enough.