Did they live up to their potential 

jimmy case ... nope 

bill atkins ... yes 

Dave Leonard ... yes

tony Rhodes ... yes 

tate ... no ... our biggest fee 

Edited by Nick

22 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

New club £16k Jamie Vardy-think he did ok.

Why Bosomworth stopped taking punts after the success of this ??

Really? I'd class signing King from King's Lynn as one.

Just now, Lewis said:

Really? I'd class signing King from King's Lynn as one.

I mean't paying a decentish fee  on a gamble.Did we pay anything for King ?

Kieran O Regan, Neil Redfern, Brian Kilcline... all big names when they arrived.

Mick Galloway.  Wasn't his transfer fee only £1500 and Manager Mick Jones raised the fee by sponsored walking to Preston.  Sold for £60k to Hearts only for our board to be reminded by Mansfield half was payable to them!  He moved onto Celtic but unfortunately he hit hard times.  Last i read he was living in a Berwick bedsit.  However one of those players you instantly knew he had that something.  And about Mick Jones, when reminiscing the 80s, he never seems to be given the credit he deserved.

Sad to be talking about the past when we should be talking about our new signings,oops sorry forgot everything will be ok on July 1st.

42 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Sad to be talking about the past when we should be talking about our new signings,oops sorry forgot everything will be ok on July 1st.

Don’t upset them :lol:

In modern times it surely has to be Jimmy Case, but Fred Pentland was a former England international when he joined the club in the Midland League days, and went on to manage several clubs across Europe, including the German and French national teams. Ended up managing Barrow after Atletico Madrid - what a come down that must have been.

Has to be Freddie Hill who played for England as a winger before Sir Alf decided to play without wide men. Easily the best player I ever saw play for us. We sold him to Man City who were a top team at the time. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Willie Carlin.- Chris Nicholl

Agreed Chris Nicholls, would personally add, Burgin, Alex Smith, Genoe, Waddle, Kennedy, Galloway, Holden, Norris, Longhurst, Davidson, (then Martin, Thackery, Bradshaw, Stoneman, Jackson, Kilcline, Hulme, Paterson, Brown, Brooks, Horsfield & Philliskirk - bit of a dream team). Modern era (and their effectiveness at various points on the footie pyramid) Jnr Brown, Bower, Dean, Marshall, Baker, Holland, Barry, Gregory, Pearson, Gardner, Hogan, Maynard, McManus, Collins, Brown, Johnson and Matty Brown - there you are a few selected (and many i should have included, but forgotten with age) from many years and many pounds spent watching the Shaymen!

• Like 2

Just now, The beautiful game said:

Agreed Chris Nicholls, would personally add, Burgin, Alex Smith, Genoe, Waddle, Kennedy, Galloway, Holden, Norris, Longhurst, Davidson, (then Martin, Thackery, Bradshaw, Stoneman, Jackson, Kilcline, Hulme, Paterson, Brown, Brooks, Horsfield & Philliskirk - bit of a dream team). Modern era (and their effectiveness at various points on the footie pyramid) Jnr Brown, Bower, Dean, Marshall, Baker, Holland, Barry, Gregory, Pearson, Gardner, Hogan, Maynard, McManus, Collins, Brown, Johnson and Matty Brown - there you are a few selected (and many i should have included, but forgotten with age) from many years and many pounds spent watching the Shaymen!

Autospell, for Barry read Baker! (Not Gallagher!)

3 minutes ago, The beautiful game said:

Autospell, for Barry read Baker! (Not Gallagher!)

Oh and worst - Peter Butler on every conceivable scoring criteria!

8 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Willie Carlin.- Chris Nicholl

Agreed Chris Nicholls, would personally add, Burgin, Alex Smith, Genoe, Waddle, Kennedy, Galloway, Holden, Norris, Longhurst, Davidson, (then Martin, Thackery, Bradshaw, Stoneman, Jackson, Kilcline, Hulme, Paterson, Brown, Brooks, Horsfield & Philliskirk bit of a dream team)

8 hours ago, last_chance_saloon said:

Super Geoff

Killer-former FA Cup winning captain. 

Super Geoff wasn't a big signing. He was average at the time. 

When he started to take it more seriously everything clicked and away he went.

Agree with Killer though.

Can't think of a time when we've made "big" signings. They've normally been released from t''other club's and were free transfers. Not been many fees involved over the years and yes, Chris Tate was probably the most expensive when you think that we signed him and then gave him away for free.

8 hours ago, Richmond96 said:

Has to be Freddie Hill who played for England as a winger before Sir Alf decided to play without wide men. Easily the best player I ever saw play for us. We sold him to Man City who were a top team at the time. 

Probably the most skillful broke his foot in the most innocuous tackle ever.