Sign in to follow this  
Pliny Harris

AGM Cup

We’ve gone back to the good old days today, as Gateshead have been demoted to the Conference North in the league’s Annual General Meeting, giving a reprieve to Aldershot.

Not fond of either as places to go, but sad to see matters off the field taking hold again.

14 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Gateshead have new owners they should have been given a chance typical Southern biased National League,I bet Havant and Waterlooville are kicking themselves now.

Bizarre inferiority complex

• Like 1

Now I've got that off my chest, is it me or has there been a relative lull in the number of historic clubs going bust recently? Bury FC and Bolton Wanderers are knocking on the door of oblivion as they lose financial backers who are daft enough to plough their money into a football club, and then are bought out by someone mean enough to buy the club but as a means of asset stripping it before walking away form its disemboweled corpse. This is surely only going to happen more and more.

The amount of money flowing into English football only get greater and greater and it seems like the whole system is just a bubble getting ready to burst like the British economy with its only profitable businesses being financial derivatives, house prices and the global arms trade. Accuse the chairmen of being unambitious all you like, but I think in 5 years' time we might rise up by default as club after club falls to the wayside.

Edited by olitheshayman
  • Like 3

Gateshead have actually been partially reprieved, because the original decision was to suspend them from the National League system altogether, meaning that they would be down to at least the NPL. They have been let back in but relegated 1 level to NLN, presumably in response to the new owners, to give them a chance.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next at Gateshead FC. The Conference North has a half-decent north-east contingent if you include Spennymoor, Spartans, Darlo and maybe even York City. I'm glad their fans have managed to scare away the vultures, but they do have their work cut out and I feel the waters at that level will be far too stormy for a club that is in effect having to start from scratch.

Even with the great job they did scouting for players last season, they're now competing for players who may as well play for Darlo, Spennymoor, Spartans or York City, and maybe even South Shields who are on the up just one league below. They'll surely be odds on for relegation.

5 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

Now I've got that off my chest, is it me or has there been a relative lull in the number of historic clubs going bust recently? Bury FC and Bolton Wanderers are knocking on the door of oblivion as they lose financial backers who are daft enough to plough their money into a football club, and then are bought out by someone mean enough to buy the club but as a means of asset stripping it before walking away form its disemboweled corpse. This is surely only going to happen more and more.

The amount of money flowing into English football only get greater and greater and it seems like the whole system is just a bubble getting ready to burst like the British economy with its only profitable businesses being financial derivatives, house prices and the global arms trade. Accuse the chairmen of being unambitious all you like, but I think in 5 years' time we might rise up by default as club after club falls to the wayside.

It's going to take a fair bit of time but eventually, more and more club's will work on a similar model to us. The only thing that will detract from common sense is the odd multi millionaire throwing his money into an Essex or more commonly, Lancashire, village team. 

I'm hoping that some rules have come into place to try and stop such nonsense by that time which in turn will help common sense prevail. Who knows, we might have a return to a northern, and southern league which will combine National League and League Two by then too.

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

It's going to take a fair bit of time but eventually, more and more club's will work on a similar model to us. The only thing that will detract from common sense is the odd multi millionaire throwing his money into an Essex or more commonly, Lancashire, village team. 

I'm hoping that some rules have come into place to try and stop such nonsense by that time which in turn will help common sense prevail. Who knows, we might have a return to a northern, and southern league which will combine National League and League Two by then too.

I’m big into my north/south separation thing now. Sorry SDS types and possibly mj85.

Put it this way, does anyone believe going to Borehamwood over Spennymoor is owt other than a waste of fuel?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

I’m big into my north/south separation thing now. Sorry SDS types and possibly mj85.

Put it this way, does anyone believe going to Borehamwood over Spennymoor is owt other than a waste of fuel?

At a time when teams are almost going out of business, I feel club's need all the right kind of financial help they can get. The right type being fans through the turnstiles rather than a sugar daddy. There are obviously some cons but they are outweighed by the pros.

Better legislation and rules against financial mismanagement and a north south league and you're potentially looking at a much better game for fans to watch, at a much fairer price, with  increased attendances and a better atmosphere.

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Like 1

Just now, Erik Everhard said:

At a time when teams are almost going out of business, I feel club's need all the right kind of financial help they can get. The right type being fans through the turnstiles rather than a sugar daddy. There are obviously some cons but they are outweighed by the pros.

Better legislation and rules against financial mismanagement and a north south league and you're potentially looking at a much better game for fans to watch, at a much fairer price, with  increased attendances and a better atmosphere.

Agreed with all that. I know it sounds a bit tinpot to downsize in some ways, but we’re already a league below Forest Green and Salford chuffing City so we have little to lose!

• Like 1

Either NS divide as the old L3 N&S or more money to filter down L2 clubs receive 1,000,000 National league 35K ?(don´t know if this has gone up slightly)

2 hours ago, park drive stand said:

feel sorry for gateshead fans but i would rather go to Aldershot -its another excuse to visit the greatest City in the world

Never heard such praise heaped on Guildford before.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Never heard such praise heaped on Guildford before.

Am heading there today so will let you know.

14 hours ago, greygoose said:

There should not be a national league.

North/South all the way up to the FL for me. 5/600 mile round trips on a regular basis for teams is ridiculous and some are played out in front of sub 1000 crowds.

Especially when DB revealed at the codgers meeting that travel and over night stays was one of the biggest expenses for the club. 

11 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Let’s just nominate ourselves to be demoted to the NLN and get it done with then.

And still travel to Gloucester anyway...

Kings Lynn is a tasty local encounter