Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
park drive stand

Maurice Bamford

Recommended Posts

.........died yesterday -turned round the fortunes of Halifax RLFC in much the same way as George Mulhall did with us -with some astute signings ,in the happy days when many Town fans supported both clubs -R.I.P.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, park drive stand said:

.........died yesterday -turned round the fortunes of Halifax RLFC in much the same way as George Mulhall did with us -with some astute signings ,in the happy days when many Town fans supported both clubs -R.I.P.

My brother in law played for Halifax during his tenure. He was a bit of a rebel and rather than turn up for an away game with the blazer shirt and tie, my brother in law turned up wearing a t shirt and jeans. Maurice Bamford told him to get off the coach and to not get back on until he was wearing a tie. My brother in law asked one of his team mates for their tie before they boarded the coach. Once all the players were on, he got on the coach with the tie tied round his forehead. Bamford went ballistic and told him he'd never play for them again.

A key figure in rugby league as a whole and he was one of the games stalwarts when I was younger and following both club's.

RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember him well at Thrum Hall, took Second Division Halifax to a Yorkshire Cup Final, then to the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup, defeating First Division Wakefield on the way, 1979-80. Great days back then. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to know Maurice quite well when I was on the Cricket committee at Brighouse. Dave Parker brought Maurice to the sports club to help with fundraising. The fundraising meetings with Maurice  were brilliant. He was very thorough, if you were tasked to do something Maurice would be on the phone to you before 10 am the following morning to see if you were on it. The other side of the meetings was Maurice had a brilliant sense of humour, his stories mainly about his time in Rugby League were hilarious. I used to look forward to the fundraising meetings just to listen to Maurice. I still have a couple of his books he gave me, I've only read one I will have to dig them out and read the other. Last time I saw him he was speaking at a sporting do at the new Brighouse Sports Club about 10 years ago. Lovely man will be sadly missed. RIP

Edited by born to moan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave gwyther said:

Why spoil a good,respectful post about one of Halifax’s genuine sporting legends by childishly trying to score brownie points!  Grow up and respect the dead!

RIP Maurice and thanks for the many great memories for us Genuine all sports in Halifax supporters, it’ll be a funnier place up there with you and Peter Fox joining the ranks!

Well said!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Remember him well at Thrum Hall, took Second Division Halifax to a Yorkshire Cup Final, then to the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup, defeating First Division Wakefield on the way, 1979-80. Great days back then. 

They were yes.RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.5.2019, 20:33:17, Erik Everhard said:

My brother in law played for Halifax during his tenure. He was a bit of a rebel and rather than turn up for an away game with the blazer shirt and tie, my brother in law turned up wearing a t shirt and jeans. Maurice Bamford told him to get off the coach and to not get back on until he was wearing a tie. My brother in law asked one of his team mates for their tie before they boarded the coach. Once all the players were on, he got on the coach with the tie tied round his forehead. Bamford went ballistic and told him he'd never play for them again.

A key figure in rugby league as a whole and he was one of the games stalwarts when I was younger and following both club's.

RIP.

I've heard an almost identical story about Brian Clough and Clive Tyldesley. I guess the two may have been cut from the same cloth. 

https://youtu.be/YS1nEr2KDac

 

R.I.P. Maurice Bamford. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...