Sign in to follow this  
rdj

pre season friendlies

In 2018/09 we played 6 pre season friendlies.

It is really important that JF not only uses them as fitness and practice sessions but also acheives good performances and results as the deadline for season ticket sales is 31.7.19.

Good performances and results could give a last minute boost to sales of STs and add to our gates over the season.

28 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

v. Stockport would be a good start.

We’re in the same league now, chief.

2 hours ago, shaymen down under said:

Won’t be playing Stockport this year, considering we are in same league.

I know just saying it would be good.

Hope we actually have some midfielders this time around. It was painful last pre-season seeing the lack of natural midfielders and it was a sign of things to come 

• Like 1

Just now, Forever a Shayman said:

Stockport at home First league game would be great they would bring at least 2000 with them.

The league management should think about these things but unfortunately we will probably get them on a Tues night mid November.

• Like 1

Brighouse and Bolton (providing they still exist) are the only two I can predict, possibly Farsley as well. The rest are anyone's guess.

Edited by Lewis

Just now, Forever a Shayman said:

Stockport at home First league game would be great they would bring at least 2000 with them.

Think PC Plod may well have some bearing on the date of this game.

Just now, chadders said:

Absolutely that’s why we end up with crap friendlies that nobody wants to go to and League games were we are not getting the sort of crowds we deserve.If the club arranges crap friendlies against the likes of Blackburn U21s or Macclesfield Town they won’t be getting my money.

2 hours ago, chadders said:

Yet just about every other team in our league and all the leagues above play much higher profile games without any trouble. 

On 12/05/2019, 13:45:58, chadders said:

We played Sheffield Wendesday a few years back they brought about 3,000 with them and no bother,I was sat with them in Skircoat no problem whatsoever.

• Like 2

We had good pre-season friendlies that year against Sheffield Wednesday and Paul Jewell's Wigan Athletic. It was well worth watching Andy Campbell rinse Pascal Chimbonda for pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olitheshayman said:

We had good pre-season friendlies that year against Sheffield Wednesday and Paul Jewell's Wigan Athletic. It was well worth watching Andy Campbell rinse Pascal Chimbonda for pace.

There was also Gary ‘knife through butter’ Teale (will tear you apart) slicing through our defence at will.

What gets me is every pre season Guiesley, BPA & Harrogate seem to host Leeds/ Bradford/Huddersfield with seemingly no problems but its a non starter for us?

We have the stadium to cope with 3-4000 away fans which would be massive for the coffers yet for some reason (WYP?) we cant cash in yet other non league clubs enjoy massive pay days in pre season. Is their really cause for concern of massive riots at the shay at a mid July friendly?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, olitheshayman said:

Distinctly remember Titus Shambles looking like a sunday league footballer as well.

3 hours ago, greygoose said:

What gets me is every pre season Guiesley, BPA & Harrogate seem to host Leeds/ Bradford/Huddersfield with seemingly no problems but its a non starter for us?

We have the stadium to cope with 3-4000 away fans which would be massive for the coffers yet for some reason (WYP?) we cant cash in yet other non league clubs enjoy massive pay days in pre season. Is their really cause for concern of massive riots at the shay at a mid July friendly?

They are usually Leeds XI rather than the first team and Guiseley/Arrogate do both have historical ties with Leeds. Perhaps Mr B should check his Bradford City connections as we are now getting steadily closer!

3 hours ago, greygoose said:

I would like to see us play Leeds. We've had one friendly for Halifax Town (in my recollection) since the 80's. Ok, we played them in the West Riding Cup but it's about time we looked at forging links with these local teams. A friendly with Leeds would be a cracking financial boost prior to the start of he season because they'd fill the North Stand and a fair bit of the East Stand.