Sign in to follow this  
shaymen down under

The Shay & The council

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/politics/solving-trust-issues-between-halifax-clubs-key-to-the-development-of-the-shay-stadium-1-9747371

A very interesting read, am glad we have a few councillors that support the shay. And as someone who has stood next to Roger Taylor on the terraces on and off for the last 13 years, I’m sure he will be putting his   Voice to good use protecting the shay.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/politics/solving-trust-issues-between-halifax-clubs-key-to-the-development-of-the-shay-stadium-1-9747371

A very interesting read, am glad we have a few councillors that support the shay. And as someone who has stood next to Roger Taylor on the terraces on and off for the last 13 years, I’m sure he will be putting his   Voice to good use protecting the shay.

He will need to with the Swifties & cronies now the dominant party. Pitch improvements would be nice since it currently is mainly a sports ground. A few defribulaters scattered around the east stand would be good.

Until the rugby club is open and honest about its failures towards Halifax Town and Calderdale Council, in place of their "it's everyone else's fault" default narrative, there'll never be trust between the two clubs. How on earth can you possibly trust someone who has proven time and again how utterly untrustworthy they are? In order to clear the slate they need to engage in some form of cathartic confession.

1 hour ago, Roy Race said:

He will need to with the Swifties & cronies now the dominant party. Pitch improvements would be nice since it currently is mainly a sports ground. A few defribulaters scattered around the east stand would be good.

I believe there is a defribrillator available at the Stadium. I think the slogan “Shaymen till I die” does not need to be taken too literally.

A positive article in the Courier about the Shay, a few years ago I doubted I could ever have seen that. I find it very hard to forgive the actions of the Rugby club since their arrival at the stadium, and I agree, Hoddie, an apology would be nice from the Rugby club. No doubt the Rugby club will also say they are also owed an apology too.

Think if we have to demolish the west stand in a few years, we should take a look at Solihull's gazebos. That would be adequate to house all those away supporters next season.

Cant believe they are National  League standard never mind if they get promoted, would blow away in a strong wind ;)

If its good enough to pass safety inspections there is something wrong.

3 hours ago, shaymen down under said:

I know Roger well he is an absolutely top bloke who wants to see sport and the community as a whole to progress.

Thankful we have a fan on the council. Forget the hotel, our best chance for the revocation of the Skircoat and annexe is more council offices and services. 

Sure I heard on the grapevine the council are in discussions about land at roils head with the golf club. They are wanting to developed up there and if that falls through then the shay becomes more of a priority due to the council having a shortage of money. From how I have read about the shay they want the ground to be 3 sides. Surely a smaller stand can be built by developers to keep it 4 sided, its very much watch this space for me especially with swift still involved. This is also a chance to sort the pitch as well if it comes off. They mention it's a new board with the chuckers but let's not forget a certain Mr croad has returned on the scene. How much involvement he has though I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Che Bentos said:

Thankful we have a fan on the council. Forget the hotel, our best chance for the revocation of the Skircoat and annexe is more council offices and services. 

Still like the idea of a sports corridor along the Skircoat Road & available unused land in the Shay estate.,that was mooted a few years back. Could have sports facilities that  the paying public could use I.e. gymnasium, carpet bowls, squash courts, physio treatment rooms, somewhere for the youth to congregate & learn new sports related skills. With a new swimming pool at ground floor level with council offices above & below with a smaller viewing area designed for fans backing out onto the playing area. There is quite a bit of land stood idle on the west side behind all the Skircoat stand where the steps are.

This could be paid for by sale of the land at the leisure centre & the old swimming baths & create a  one stop place for all to enjoy sport/leisure facilities.

• Like 2

They should put town houses up on the west side,with an access road either underneath or behind. Plenty such developments here in Belgium built on land suitable for little else. I just don't see how shops or a hotel will work with so little parking nearby, unless it involves the bus garage land I suppose. 

If a pool was to be built they should make it to international standard for events. A similar design to the metrodome in Barnsley with wave machines and diving areas. Also get slides to attract kids to get more involved with fitness and fun instead of just playing on the PlayStation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

If a pool was to be built they should make it to international standard for events. A similar design to the metrodome in Barnsley with wave machines and diving areas. Also get slides to attract kids to get more involved with fitness and fun instead of just playing on the PlayStation.

Logistically The South Stand goalmouth sounds perfect for this development with an open pool protected from adverse elements by The South Stand structure and the unfinished part of The East Stand also included in the development

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macam blue said:

Still like the idea of a sports corridor along the Skircoat Road & available unused land in the Shay estate.,that was mooted a few years back. Could have sports facilities that  the paying public could use I.e. gymnasium, carpet bowls, squash courts, physio treatment rooms, somewhere for the youth to congregate & learn new sports related skills. With a new swimming pool at ground floor level with council offices above & below with a smaller viewing area designed for fans backing out onto the playing area. There is quite a bit of land stood idle on the west side behind all the Skircoat stand where the steps are.

This could be paid for by sale of the land at the leisure centre & the old swimming baths & create a  one stop place for all to enjoy sport/leisure facilities.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Think Leisure Services is called Leisure and Culture now but clarifying this is seemingly impossible on their website. Whenever I think of carpet bowls, I think of Don Revie's Leeds United! :) 

Just now, Che Bentos said:

Yes, I was thinking the same. Think Leisure Services is called Leisure and Culture now but clarifying this is seemingly impossible on their website. Whenever I think of carpet bowls, I think of Don Revie's Leeds United! :) 

Yes Che anything that keeps the residents of Calderdale stay/spend their money in Calderdale. Even a crèche :)

I like Crowther's idea re an International standard pool with slides. I know lots of people who travel to the new pool in Huddersfield & further afield with their young ones, Why not on our own doorstep.

Not keen on Hoddies idea of town houses, road is too busy & polluted, but do agree re no Hotel. there is no need of one.

• Like 1

One thing The Shay has got going for it is that it is very accessible. Close to the town centre, on a main arterial road, frequent buses and ten minutes from the motorway. And best of all, 15 minutes walk from my house. To be fair, that was a consideration when I moved here! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Until the rugby club is open and honest about its failures towards Halifax Town and Calderdale Council, in place of their "it's everyone else's fault" default narrative, there'll never be trust between the two clubs. How on earth can you possibly trust someone who has proven time and again how utterly untrustworthy they are? In order to clear the slate they need to engage in some form of cathartic confession.

You need to grow up. You talk about ths rugby club as though its an individual person. Its not. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bubba said:

You need to grow up. You talk about ths rugby club as though its an individual person. Its not. 

But it has been led, just like The Shaymen in the past, by people you would not trust. We have reputable people in charge now, do they?

Do we? Do they? History teaches us a lot but you can't use history to pre judge people. 

• Like 1

If anyone on here thinks what is now a Labour led council will spend money on sports facilities in Halifax they need their collective bumps feeling. We must have the poorest sporting facilities for a town our size in the country. I love my home town but dearie me the malaise in council forward planning is dire, on the plus side if successive councils had stirred themselves into action we wouldn't now have an architectural gem of a town centre but a sixties/seventies monstrosity.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Do we? Do they? History teaches us a lot but you can't use history to pre judge people. 

Talking about trust, not judgement.

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

The same can be said for Halifax Town.

13 hours ago, Bubba said:

And you need to kiss my arse! Cheeky ****! In the two decades since they moved to the Shay, have they demonstrated any reason to trust them? If it comes to that, have the council? 

You might be prepared to give the Frocks another chance but don't expect everyone to be so stupid. 

• Like 1

To be honest the way the courier article is worded, seems to lay the blame more towards the rugby club.

call me pessimistic but I can’t see the Shay changing at all within the next decade, and all the structures will remain untouched.

biggest outlay will be the poundshop ‘do not enter’ illuminating tape to wrap around the Skircoat stand.