Sign in to follow this  
Redcard

Draws

We finished the season with the most draws, 20, and were the lowest scorers bar the relegated teams. There has been a lot of criticism over JF’s negative tactics with the team sitting back etc. If our dour Scottish manager was a glass half full guy instead of half empty and been a bit more adventurous with his tactics, 10 more goals to turn 10 draws into wins would have seen us finish sixth and in the play offs. Fine margins indeed, so with better recruitment and an acceptance by JF that he works in the entertainment business, next season could be promising.

Just now, Redcard said:

...an acceptance by JF that he works in the entertainment business, next season could be promising.

Coulrophobes beware! 

12 minutes ago, Redcard said:

We finished the season with the most draws, 20, and were the lowest scorers bar the relegated teams. There has been a lot of criticism over JF’s negative tactics with the team sitting back etc. If our dour Scottish manager was a glass half full guy instead of half empty and been a bit more adventurous with his tactics, 10 more goals to turn 10 draws into wins would have seen us finish sixth and in the play offs. Fine margins indeed, so with better recruitment and an acceptance by JF that he works in the entertainment business, next season could be promising.

Had he been less cautious the draws might have been defeats though. 

The reason he sat back is because the cb's have no pace and he didn't want to expose them.

That said he could have tried to solve that by playing one of Maher or Staunton at CB to give more pace, but would the team then have been so solid ? 

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

The reason he sat back is because the cb's have no pace and he didn't want to expose them.

That said he could have tried to solve that by playing one of Maher or Staunton at CB to give more pace, but would the team then have been so solid ? 

Less cautious on 10 games would have seen us - 10points which would have been safe but also +20 which would have been in the playoffs

9 minutes ago, choppiebinkie said:

Less cautious on 10 games would have seen us - 10points which would have been safe but also +20 which would have been in the playoffs

Had we won them all !

Personally I would always play with a man in front of the cb's, I'm not so sure that at this level you need a double pivot.

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Had we won them all !

Personally I would always play with a man in front of the cb's, I'm not so sure that at this level you need a double pivot.

No only 50% of the draws

43 minutes ago, Norm said:

55 minutes ago, choppiebinkie said:

No only 50% of the draws

I know what you meant,  but you are supposing that we had won all ten.

Not rocket science that we haven’t scored enough goals.

Are there any tables showing possession of the ball over the whole season? For me we have spent a lot of the season not having the ball. That doesn’t stop you winning football matches, of course, it’s what you do with it when you have it that counts.

9 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Not rocket science that we haven’t scored enough goals.

Are there any tables showing possession of the ball over the whole season? For me we have spent a lot of the season not having the ball. That doesn’t stop you winning football matches, of course, it’s what you do with it when you have it that counts.

Exactly Chelsea74% Burnley 26% 2-2 draw.