Sign in to follow this  
archietaylor7

Disappointing

22 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

I think it’s fair to say we’d have to significantly over achieve our finances to make the play offs.

Not saying it’s impossible and we should absolutely have that mission in mind. But, it also doesn’t mean every manager who doesn’t make the play offs is a failure.

It’s been a disappointing season, but enough seen to give Fullarton another IMO.

It has been a disappointing season and finishing 5th from bottom with the clubs biggest ever budget, best facilities it’s had and going full time. 

Ive also seen enough to know I don’t want JF being the manager of the club I support. Never known any manager drive as many fans away in a season and make so many people not enjoy going to games anymore. 

Saturday is a great example of why he’s a **** manager- 1-0 up away from home with nothing to play for and neither has the other team, we go in at half time and yet again the 2nd half sounded garbage, we just sat back yet again trying to defend a lead and conceded two goals. 

Why not just go for more goals ffs we had nothing to play for and could have got a win if we didn’t sit back and invite pressure. 

I understand you won’t agree but again it’s opinions 

Edited by TJAshton
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Scot said:

It’s not about blame ... it’s about expectations 

Indeed, but your entire narrative is that we shouldn't expect JF to be doing more than he is because his hands are tied by the club's circumstances. Which completely ignores the fact that other managers have achieved much more with far worse circumstances. You talk about simply offering a counterpoint to the negative **** written on here, but in truth your only aim is to provide futile excuses for this terrible, terrible season.

• Like 2

Just now, Hoddie said:

Indeed, but your entire narrative is that we shouldn't expect JF to be doing more than he is because his hands are tied by the club's circumstances. Which completely ignores the fact that other managers have achieved much more with far worse circumstances. You talk about simply offering a counterpoint to the negative **** written on here, but in truth your only aim is to provide futile excuses for this terrible, terrible season.

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Hoddie , you’ve been one of the most negative posters on here , consistently , all season so the fact we disagree doesn’t surprise me.

I respect your opinion but I’ll always reply and try and give some context 

I don’t think this team are far away but they haven’t been consistent enough , particularly in front of goal and bringing in some quality towards the end of the season has shown that 

38 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

It has been a disappointing season and finishing 5th from bottom with the clubs biggest ever budget, best facilities it’s had and going full time. 

Ive also seen enough to know I don’t want JF being the manager of the club I support. Never known any manager drive as many fans away in a season and make so many people not enjoy going to games anymore. 

Saturday is a great example of why he’s a **** manager- 1-0 up away from home with nothing to play for and neither has the other team, we go in at half time and yet again the 2nd half sounded garbage, we just sat back yet again trying to defend a lead and conceded two goals. 

Why not just go for more goals ffs we had nothing to play for and could have got a win if we didn’t sit back and invite pressure. 

I understand you won’t agree but again it’s opinions 

How can you comment on the game when you wasn't there

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Scot said:

Hoddie , you’ve been one of the most negative posters on here , consistently , all season so the fact we disagree doesn’t surprise me.

Probably, but I ain't blind to the realities of where we are. I've spent more money than I dare remember supporting Halifax Town over the last 3 decades, but I've never been in the "happy clapper" brigade. I don't simply accept that the shite we're served up is the shite we deserve. This season will go on record as a complete and utter disaster. A transition, perhaps, but a disaster all the same.

I’ll go out on a limb and say JF would be a decent manager for a team just looking to survive relegation and nothing else. The problem with him at Town is we are all wanting top half/ a playoff push which won’t happen under JF’s negative tactics.

Theres plenty of games we’ve drawn this season where if we’d have gone for it we would have won. And in recent weeks, we’ve been punished for sitting back too much when leading. A fresh start for all parties concerned would be best in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eddie said:

How can you comment on the game when you wasn't there

Hence the word SOUNDED! Didn’t say we were garbage, it sounded like we were from people who went 

Edited by TJAshton

I hate changing managers but feel like most it´s time to change albeit I don´t think DB will sack JF it will have to be his decision, as I have said before I thought he was the right type of manager by his talk but has not brought through on expectations, we need a young manager who will look for the raw talent to progress with a scouting system like we used to have and play aggressive attacking football not parking the bus every game giving the opposition the advantage. We have basically a descent team that needs a LB, 2 MF and 2/3 attacking players. Make the squad smaller but better quality, we have done it before so we can do it again. The young players are out there.

• Like 2

He’s had a full season under his belt and backed fully by the board , let’s see where we are 10 games in next season 

• Like 1

Just now, Jmc said:

He’s had a full season under his belt and backed fully by the board , let’s see where we are 10 games in next season 

If the change is not made in the closed season he will be here all next season unless we are relegation fodder early on.

8 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

I hate changing managers but feel like most it´s time to change albeit I don´t think DB will sack JF it will have to be his decision, as I have said before I thought he was the right type of manager by his talk but has not brought through on expectations, we need a young manager who will look for the raw talent to progress with a scouting system like we used to have and play aggressive attacking football not parking the bus every game giving the opposition the advantage. We have basically a descent team that needs a LB, 2 MF and 2/3 attacking players. Make the squad smaller but better quality, we have done it before so we can do it again. The young players are out there.

Agree, basically we are where we were last season approaching the closed season. Don't see any realprogress at all barring cheap season tickets.

33 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

If the change is not made in the closed season he will be here all next season unless we are relegation fodder early on.

If we change manager he will want new squad and it will be the same again,

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, francisfirth said:

I remember the days when we were just like Brazil... It began with a B anyway.  It might have been Barnet, Stan Flashman era.

So the things I have learnt so far this season include

1. Any nobned can park the bus, its not big and its not clever to have a tight defence.

2. We should have signed anybody at anytime, regardless of pedigree because it would have fixed everything (particularly Mike Fish from Mossley).

3. We should consider going bust so that we can compete more, can't believe the board haven't spotted this gem.

4. King will never play for this club again.

5. Bradford City are quite probably worse than us but cost a lot more.

6. When we did sign anybody they were crap before they arrived. More to the point, why the hell did we sign them and why the hell did we let them transform our depleted front line and keep us up?  We should have just played that famous 1-1-8  formation the minute we stopped scoring goals and then we wouldn't have had to rely on crap loan players.

7. There are only 3 points between 18th and 12th place, ooops sorry, that's a fact, shouldn't have included that one.

8. I am never going to watch this team play again whilst Fullarton/Fullerten is manager, this is what any true fan should do.

9. The fact that Altrincham came out and could possibly be gay seemed to upset a lot of strongly hetrosexual people who started sentences with, 'people are free to do what they want but...'  I never understand that one.

10. Scot is in no way related to JF and doesn't post statements on his behalf.

Do you win a free season ticket if you get 8 out of 10 correct and when does the competition close ?

47 minutes ago, eddie said:

If we change manager he will want new squad and it will be the same again,

That is one of the dangers. We need 5/6 new in and approx same out.

Last season a large percentage of Ipswich Town fans wanted Mick McCarthy out said his football was Boring and terrible to watch ,So they got what they wanted a team that cannot compete against anyone in there division they were nailed on to go down from September,Let’s get 40 players in and sack a Manager every couple of months.

14 hours ago, Scot said:

Get rid I say .. I’d be happy if the club did to be honest 

The reality is that the club doesn’t have the finance to compete in all reality to some people’s expectations.

JF is looking at sources all across the country to try and find players for next to nothing (trust me I’ve been involved).

its a really frustrating picture as other teams in the NL just offer much more money and to get players who can actually kick the club on isn’t easy. There are loads of examples 

For once I agree with you TJ.. I think maybe it’s time for JF to move on.. he has burst his balls trying to find players who can make up squad numbers when the bigger earners eat up most of the budget .. but also finding folk with enough quality to help out at a price.

What happens is you have a squad where the majority of the budget is on your big hitters and the rest is spread on guys who may or may not do the business at a small price.

Everyone wants a solid defence ... a playmaker .. and goalscorers .. that costs money ... but you also need a squad.

It’s a hard equation and I know I bang on about money but it is how it is.

So in summary .. maybe you are right , maybe someone else needs to try and work their magic to improve things 

Don't wish JF any ill, but I do agree he is not the right fit for us. Hope you persuade your mate to seek a new position soon.

If he stays of his own volition past the season end, we will not create the feel good factor to entice a new fan base for next season.

As previously stated, I will not slag him off during matches or wish him harm. But just not the right person to help us in our quest for football league status.

I like the way he handles himself, doesn't drink or swear, but it takes more than that to succeed in Management.

We need someone who can seek out the odd gem (they are out there) & instil some enthusiasm among us fans.

All the best Scot, but I hope u are not on here defending your mate next season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shaymandownsouff said:

I think it’s fair to say we’d have to significantly over achieve our finances to make the play offs.

Not saying it’s impossible and we should absolutely have that mission in mind. But, it also doesn’t mean every manager who doesn’t make the play offs is a failure.

It’s been a disappointing season, but enough seen to give Fullarton another IMO.

So we settle for the same drab season as this SDS? No thank you. I would prefer we find a Manager who is willing to take a risk or two & try win a game. Wilder @ Shef U 8th smallest budget in the championship & the fans love him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Spot on Steve.

Having supported the club for over sixty the number of times people at work, in pubs and friends have said Halifax Town are s***e and then when you ask have you watched them the answer is no that relates to a number of posters on this site. Alex Ferguson was once asked if he had the hardest job in football he replied no Mickey Bullock at Halifax Town has. All of us want success but due to financial restraints success only rears its head infrequently. Financial constraints apply to ever professional club in any sport. Yorkshire Carnegie in rugby union have ploughed 3million pounds trying to get promoted to the Rugby Union premiership. Having failed they have released all but six players and gone part time and reduced their playing budget by 40%. Nearer home David Brook ploughed money into both Halifax rugby clubs and look where they both reside. Comments on the side,s playing ability are valid as well as the manager,s tactics but sometimes they seem shallow when the most vociferous contributors have not watched the game. Very similar to saying I listened to my mates or read it on the internet. Very similar to posting adverse comments about Rodney because they appeared on the internet. We have not been relegated and are still solvent I know these are only small acorns but let’s hope next season sees some growth

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

So we settle for the same drab season as this SDS? No thank you. I would prefer we find a Manager who is willing to take a risk or two & try win a game. Wilder @ Shef U 8th smallest budget in the championship & the fans love him.

No. That’s not what I’ve said. It’s jut fairly obvious that for every over achiever there has to be an under achiever.

For every Sheffield United, there is a Reading or a Birmingham. If every club could just do it at the drop of a hat it wouldn’t be an achievement.

We should have done better this season, no question and there’s an argument for letting Fullarton go.

But you can’t just start again with a brand new manager and group of players everytime a club with a lower mid table budget doesn’t make the play offs

15 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

No. That’s not what I’ve said. It’s jut fairly obvious that for every over achiever there has to be an under achiever.

For every Sheffield United, there is a Reading or a Birmingham. If every club could just do it at the drop of a hat it wouldn’t be an achievement.

We should have done better this season, no question and there’s an argument for letting Fullarton go.

But you can’t just start again with a brand new manager and group of players everytime a club with a lower mid table budget doesn’t make the play offs

Its all about opinions SDS. You feel JF deserves another crack at it next season, I don't agree. Not saying we need a new manager & new players.

The majority of our defensive players are better than adequate for a push up the league. We need a few more forward thinking additions & a change in how we set up to make us more than a threat in this league.

I have seen nothing to be worried about throughout this league this year. It is not as good as previous years, there are some rubbish strikers, despite some clubs throwing money at the budget. We can compete with a few tweaks in players & a better attacking formation. We just need to find them from lower league. They are there.

If JF is with us next year, just expect the same boring football. It is all he is capable of. He has not shown he can adapt to what is required.

The thing that confuses me with 99%of all the threads on these forums is all this talk of where we should be, how we should be doing this that and the other!!!! I've been watching, following, travelling and spending hard earned cash on Halifax Town since 1964 and save for a few times throughout all those years we have always been a struggling team. We have a very poor fan base, mainly due these days to motorways and the fact that we are surrounded by both Manchester teams, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Burnley, Huddersfield, Bradford, Blackburn etc!!! All within approx 1hr driving. We simply cant compete. TV is flooded with Premiership and Euro leagues and they're all accessible and probably seem a better option to many people and especially young kids who want to be Messi or Ronaldo or Kane etc.

Sadly, the more successful times in recent years have been as the club climbed back up the leagues, but unless things change radically then mid National League is our level. The likes of Wrexham & Orient, Tranmere etc have far bigger gates than we could ever achieve. They are much bigger clubs than us, they have played at higher levels than us, the expectation levels for those clubs is massive. The new money clubs have the funds to buy their way out of the National, it remains to be seen if they can maintain the next level when they get there, I'm thinking particularly about Solihull here??? I am and will always remain a Town fan but I am a realist and next season wont be much different to this, that's just a plain fact. I would hope that we would maintain a top half placing and aim to be in and around the playoff places, but as for getting promoted!!!!!!!!!! As things are we couldn't compete??

• Like 2

So many contradictions in there Archie. Yes, Halifax Town have a lot of big teams within travel distance, but so do 90% of every lower league club. Rochdale are much closer to the Manchester clubs yet consistently do better than the Shaymen. You mention Orient who are surrounded by a plethora of much bigger clubs, but they reached the top division after having played alongside Town in the lower leagues.

It is possible. The biggest problem with Town - at least in my opinion - is a lack of ambition and a collective sense of "well it's Halifax Town, what do you expect?"

• Like 3