Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The Council report is possibly the most positive one I have ever read with regards the Shay. The finally seem to be understanding its potential rather than viewing it as a financial noose. They just need to maximise this potential.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good positive vibes indeed and whether it be hotels or apartments - ie Leyton Orient- it could fully utilise the Shay Estate for it's true commercial value which would be a long term benefit to both clubs and the town as a whole. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it happens. So many recent schemes in Halifax seem to have fallen through recently. Hopefully any redevelopment will include an area for spectators, even if it means a capacity smaller than the current Skircoat Stand. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

I hope it happens. So many recent schemes in Halifax seem to have fallen through recently. Hopefully any redevelopment will include an area for spectators, even if it means a capacity smaller than the current Skircoat Stand. 

Yes a smaller stand with a hotel behind it etc, would be a brilliant idea there is so much unused space in the shay estate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it after reading the article that both MBI and Northern Powerhouse Developments have gone into receivership. Is that correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shaycrazy said:

I take it after reading the article that both MBI and Northern Powerhouse Developments have gone into receivership. Is that correct. 

assume so since we have been advertising for a new shirt sponsor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the Shay’s Wikipedia page still describe that plan to expand the Skircoat to two tiers backing into the road? Would’ve been a brilliant plan if we got 8x the support we do, but a hotel could incorporate that too for sure. I would only hope we somehow preserve some of the pitched roof, or incorporate a smaller newish one. Not the way architecture goes in 2019, but ey...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pliny Harris said:

I would only hope we somehow preserve some of the pitched roof, or incorporate a smaller newish one. Not the way architecture goes in 2019, but ey...

I won't be sorry to see our 'heritage stand' go. It's hardly an Archibald Leitch, more like a hand-me-down cut and shut with impeded views. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

I won't be sorry to see our 'heritage stand' go. It's hardly an Archibald Leitch, more like a hand-me-down cut and shut with impeded views. 

There's the strong sentimental value (what's the name of this forum again), plus the acoustics and "classic" appearance to it and its topography.

Also, there's somebody on the Facebook Courier comments suggesting that the Council sells the Shay to the public. Speechless at that one :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

There's the strong sentimental value (what's the name of this forum again), plus the acoustics and "classic" appearance to it and its topography.

Also, there's somebody on the Facebook Courier comments suggesting that the Council sells the Shay to the public. Speechless at that one :lol:

All the more reason to develop it rather than leaving it in its sorry dormant state. The only acoustics I remember from the Skircoat was the chorus of 'Ayre out!'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

All the more reason to develop it rather than leaving it in its sorry dormant state. The only acoustics I remember from the Skircoat was the chorus of 'Ayre out!'. 

You never heard "I was born under The Skircoat Shed" ? 

A classic in the 70's that blasted the roof off more than once along with "Na na na nana na na, nana na na Shaaaaymen"

Will be sorry to see it go but go it must one day. Hopefully a smaller stand from corner to corner so we get a real four sided ground, it does not have to be too big, neither does a Hotel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still find it weird standing in the south stand even though I’ve most probably stood there more times than I did in the skircoat. If it has to go then it must but I’ll always cherish the memories

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

All the more reason to develop it rather than leaving it in its sorry dormant state. The only acoustics I remember from the Skircoat was the chorus of 'Ayre out!'. 

It goes to show how good the acoustics are that we can still hear "Ayre out!" ricocheting back and forth nearly 30 years on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Welcome to the Hotel Paddy Roche, such a lovely place”

A commemorative vending machine should stand on the exact spot of his tuck shop.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A commemorative vending machine..... hahahaha.... Poor guy, but would be perfect. Only knew him as the tuck shop guy but was always vaguely aware he had played in goal for Town. Being a short arse I used to stand right on the ledge outside his shop window to watch games, and had to move at halftime so people could get their chow. Always seemed really cheerful and I had the impression he did a lot more for the clubthan just sell sweets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it’s the Worrier’s reporting or the council woman’s choice of words but “it is likely.......that it could be condemned” is hardly the death knell of the Skircoat

But if a hotel is built, presumably the rooms with windows looking out onto the pitch will be cheaper than the others?  Perhaps sold as “restricted entertainment”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should the Skircoat Stand not be a listed building. It was originally built at Manchester City's Hyde Rd ground circ 1900/10 and was built under the supervision of Archibald Leitch,  When the ground closed in 1923 the roof of the main stand was reinstalled at the Shay Just think with that provinance  it would be worth a fortune on the Antiques Road Show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

If it's like the Blackpool fc hotel you have to vacate your room when a match is played.

Until recently, their fans did the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...