Spiltdown Man

Shay photo found in family album from 1982

My Mum and Dad brought some old photo albums round last night and this beauty was amongst it. That's me in the England shirt. I remember getting it for the World Cup in '82 and also being distraught when it got nicked at school on one of the first days I took it in for PE. The other lads are my brother's school mates and we only ever took a group like that for birthday parties. His birthday is the beginning of September. That squarely dates the photo at September 1982. The internet suggests it must have been one of the home games against Mansfield or Aldershot. Hope you like it. Some nice detail of the old Hunger Hill 'terraces', the old floodlight base and the speedway track in the background.

Shay 82.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

That looks like the Aldershot game I remember it being a really warm September day and if my memory is right we got beaten 1-3 another hugely disappointing afternoon being a Shayman.

Goodness knows how you can remember weather details after 32 years! At first I was confused by the seemingly hot weather and short sleeves. I wondered if it might be the end of the 1981-82 season but I distinctly remembered getting the England shirt (along with an England scarf that I still have) during the World Cup. So that ruled that out. The shadows are quite long though for 3pm which suggests autumn.

Who can remember the old wooden scoreboard which stood at the top of the embankment in front of the trees ?

I still have a piece of it which I took for a souvenir just after it was dismantled (Sad or what :D)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shaymanandy said:

Who can remember the old wooden scoreboard which stood at the top of the embankment in front of the trees ?

I still have a piece of it which I took for a souvenir just after it was dismantled (Sad or what :D)

I remember it and yes andy Sad with a capital ¨S¨.:)

• Like 1

On 06/04/2019, 10:07:39, Steve Lanzarote said:

I remember it and yes andy Sad with a capital ¨S¨.:)

PS I also have a bit of the old Skircoat stand tucked away somewhere :D

1 minute ago, shaymanandy said:

PS I also have a bit of the old Skircoat stand tucked away somewhere :D

All I have is a ghost my uncle died in Skirtcoat stand 14/Feb/1953. (Spurs cup game)

On 05/04/2019, 13:40:43, Forever a Shayman said:

That looks like the Aldershot game I remember it being a really warm September day and if my memory is right we got beaten 1-3 another hugely disappointing afternoon being a Shayman.

I concur and was just going to post similar. As I remember rightly, as well as it being a particularly warm and sunny afternoon, Town had the chance move into the top four with victory, but blew it. Bobby Davison ran clear to net Town's goal but we were already 2-0 down by then. The Mansfield game, btw, was played on a Friday evening.

32 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

I concur and was just going to post similar. As I remember rightly, as well as it being a particularly warm and sunny afternoon, Town had the chance move into the top four with victory, but blew it. Bobby Davison ran clear to net Town's goal but we were already 2-0 down by then. The Mansfield game, btw, was played on a Friday evening.

Mansfield was a Friday night a 0-0 draw ,Does anyone remember Mansfield fans trying to get into the Skircoat End and copper grabbed hold of a Mansfield hooligans and handcuffed him to a Floodlight pylon and then Town fans started giving him kicking while copper went chasing after Mansfield hooligans.

• Like 1

Mansfield was a Friday night a 0-0 draw ,Does anyone remember Mansfield fans trying to get into the Skircoat End and copper grabbed hold of a Mansfield hooligans and handcuffed him to a Floodlight pylon and then Town fans started giving him kicking while copper went chasing after Mansfield hooligans.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

By hell!!!!!! The good old days eh??????