Sign in to follow this  
chadders

Ask Away................

29 minutes ago, chadders said:

Are you for real young man ?? If you scroll back through this thread there are at least 2 people who were invited who by their own admission have been open in their criticism of the board. Had the chairman just invited "yes men" then they would all have turned up and he would have been surrounded by sycophants scattering rose petals wherever he walked Of the 14 that were invited seven did not want to / were unable to attend but for only 1 of the 7 who accepted to have the grace to turn up shows disrespect an a total lack of manners. I know the long overdue fan engagement has to start somewhere but I commented at the time that inviting people from an unofficial fans forum whose members would amass to less than 0.5% of the clubs fanbase and choose to hide behind pseudonyms with the main protagonists failing to / not able to attend games. This is indicative of the way some on here conduct themselves and lets hope the similar fan engagement initiatives planned for next few months are open to a more appreciative clientele.

Yours in sport,

FC Halifax Town stooge.. 

PS - Just seen the apology from the Ashtons' and hope they have apologised to all appropriate parties accordingly. 

I have apologised through the appropriate means.Ok with you Mr Sunderland?

7 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Consider ourselves well and truly lambasted and placed on the naughty step for eternity . Wonder if any other Calderdale sporting organisations are more worthy of our attentions ?

Are Halifax Harriers still going?

1 hour ago, francisfirth said:

So what's the similarities between JB, TA and DB?  Are we suggesting DB is a dodgy character who is going to do an Abbot or a Brown and therefore he needs lambasting at every opportunity?  As Bubba says, he runs a tight ship, it limits what we can do and some people would rather he chucked his money at the club. 

Who said there were similarities? Who is suggesting DB is dodgy character apart from you?

Tight ship is an understatement. This is a football forum that produces many different opinions. Some people do not like other peoples opinions, it would be impossible for it to be otherwise. Don't like the fact? Don't come.

The abuse and personal insults from people who should know better on this forum has become poisonous, virtually every thread ends up being a bloody argument between people and not even about football.  Very very tiresome

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Who said there were similarities? Who is suggesting DB is dodgy character apart from you?

Tight ship is an understatement. This is a football forum that produces many different opinions. Some people do not like other peoples opinions, it would be impossible for it to be otherwise. Don't like the fact? Don't come.

So on that basis, how was your initial comment relevant in any way?  

17 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

The abuse and personal insults from people who should know better on this forum has become poisonous, virtually every thread ends up being a bloody argument between people and not even about football.  Very very tiresome

Very much like any committee meeting (and I've served on enough committees to reach that conclusion)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Was waiting for someone to make this argument, had my money on Steve Lumb. 

Nope, I wouldn't say that, this board is a really useful bellwether of opinions

30 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

Nope, I wouldn't say that, this board is a really useful bellwether of opinions

Of course it is, it has saved the club once, halted the sale of The Shay. taken the club to a play off final and helped in the sacking of more than one useless manager besides advising The Prime Minister on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

My favourite moment was when the forum played its part in saving the Thai children stuck underground when the caves became flooded.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, andrich said:

Who can blame the chairman if he decides not to bother communicating in future? People complain about lack of information, but then when he tries to do something about it, half decline the invitation and the half who accepted don’t have the manners to turn up (except for one of course). Disgusting and very rude.

I agree with you in relation to those that said they would attend but did not.

Personally, I was invited however do not live close to Halifax so it was always a non-starter. In hindsight I should have emailed Tony Allan to confirm I wasn't able to attend and thank them for the invite however I didn't, instead assuming that they would figure anyone who didn't reply couldn't make it. In truth I assumed the invite had gone to a larger number of posters in which case they wouldn't be bothered to know about those that couldn't attend!

10 hours ago, Bobbins said:

The idea of the meeting (and the ones to follow with the other groups) wasn't to sit and be told exclusively of special initiatives the club have in mind, it was more of a brainstorm session to allow the club to see the range of issues there are out there. They can then look to compile a priority list of the most common things to address and attempt to work through. While we ended up talking for a good hour and a half about all things both on and off the pitch, the problem with it just being me there is that it means there were only my views and suggestions being aired rather than a broader cross section.

In no particular order some of main points were:

• Ticket prices are to be looked at for next season but its a difficult balancing act as costs increase both on and off the pitch every season, particularly with the stadium. Concerns over concession prices are being looked at, suggested the possibility of a slightly lower standing admission for all in relation to seated.
  • Gate money alone only covered around 53% of the playing staff wages up to the end of December. Sponsorships, corporate, commercial, golf days, sporting dinners and the like help to cover the rest.
  • Mr B was keen to stress that this season and next season the club have budgeted for a 6 figure loss each season. This is budgeted and affordable as profits from all the previous seasons are there to be used for this.
  • Our budget is not as bad as it's been suggested. We're definitely not shopping in poundland but we can't pay ridiculous wages either. We were in for Connor Wilkinson from Gillingham but he would have wanted wages of £1.5k a week (half his Gillingham wage), more than we can offer. Dagenham took him on loan at £1.5k then made the deal permanent at £3k a week. That's not a market we can compete in.
  • We've paid transfer fees on a few occasions for players in this squad.
  • We are not in any financial issues, the club is run as leanly as possible to ensure as much goes to the playing budget as we can afford, but all bills are and will be paid.
  • A club (we can all probably guess which) spoke to Kosy before Christmas and offered terms, then spoke to us to enquire about signing him. We turned them down. It seems likely that another club will sign him this summer when his contract is up.
  • Had it not been for the TV money we'd have made a £1k loss on the Wimbledon cup game after match costs, their travelling expenses etc. were deducted and then the remainder was split 50/50 with the clubs. That does include £5k spent on additional pitch covers to ensure the game didn't fall victim to the weather - Wimbledon (with a little persuasion from our President) agreed to contribute half of this cost.
  • After costs were deducted our share of the trophy replay at Solihull was £47.
  • No board member have ever taken a penny out of the club, in fact they still put money in each season that covers general expenses - additional overnight stays, training gear etc. All things that largely go unnoticed.
  • Player recruitment is down to the manager, if he wants a player and they're affordable then we'll bring them in. The board won't interfere and say they don't rate players, they certainly won't suggest who should play.
  • Supporters bar has a design ready to go - a timeline with photos of highlights from along the journey. There's an awareness that it's taken too long to sort this.
  • Was suggested that the occasional interview with the chairman should just have good news in it, not generally be tempered with talk of budgets.
  • Possibility of a quarterly Q&A session online, or emailed questions answered.
  • An effort to be made to have special offers that don't always include caveats - a suggested example of free kids season tickets available to all kids, not free kids season tickets available with the purchase of adult season tickets.

Apologies as there's probably plenty of things I've forgotten as well. But I definitely left there feeling that there's a desire to improve things. Hopefully the coming meetings with different groups will be successful.

You've listed some positive stuff there. It's also a reality check on just how inflated the market is once again. Dagenham paying £3k a week for a player when they're getting roughly 1200 through the gates is scary. We tried to keep up with that type of model before and look where it got us.

Fair play to DB for holding these meetings and thanks for listing some of the issues discussed/raised.

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Like 2

Presumably when the budgeted losses exhaust the accumulated profits then we will be back to  a struggling part time club in the Conference rather than a struggling full time one.

We seem over reliant on occasional windfalls to have any chance of success.

Having endured this season's football I am beginning to wonder if it is really worth trying to survive in this league against better funded clubs. It seems like a road to nowhere.

However, we shall see how what appears to be Fullarton's experiment in how to run a football team turns out. No more excuses now he has a fit squad of players.

9 hours ago, Bobbins said:

The idea of the meeting (and the ones to follow with the other groups) wasn't to sit and be told exclusively of special initiatives the club have in mind, it was more of a brainstorm session to allow the club to see the range of issues there are out there. They can then look to compile a priority list of the most common things to address and attempt to work through. While we ended up talking for a good hour and a half about all things both on and off the pitch, the problem with it just being me there is that it means there were only my views and suggestions being aired rather than a broader cross section.

• Ticket prices are to be looked at for next season but its a difficult balancing act as costs increase both on and off the pitch every season, particularly with the stadium. Concerns over concession prices are being looked at, suggested the possibility of a slightly lower standing admission for all in relation to seated.
  • Gate money alone only covered around 53% of the playing staff wages up to the end of December. Sponsorships, corporate, commercial, golf days, sporting dinners and the like help to cover the rest.
  • Mr B was keen to stress that this season and next season the club have budgeted for a 6 figure loss each season. This is budgeted and affordable as profits from all the previous seasons are there to be used for this.
  • Our budget is not as bad as it's been suggested. We're definitely not shopping in poundland but we can't pay ridiculous wages either. We were in for Connor Wilkinson from Gillingham but he would have wanted wages of £1.5k a week (half his Gillingham wage), more than we can offer. Dagenham took him on loan at £1.5k then made the deal permanent at £3k a week. That's not a market we can compete in.
  • We are not in any financial issues, the club is run as leanly as possible to ensure as much goes to the playing budget as we can afford, but all bills are and will be paid.
  • A club (we can all probably guess which) spoke to Kosy before Christmas and offered terms, then spoke to us to enquire about signing him. We turned them down. It seems likely that another club will sign him this summer when his contract is up.
  • Had it not been for the TV money we'd have made a £1k loss on the Wimbledon cup game after match costs, their travelling expenses etc. were deducted and then the remainder was split 50/50 with the clubs. That does include £5k spent on additional pitch covers to ensure the game didn't fall victim to the weather - Wimbledon (with a little persuasion from our President) agreed to contribute half of this cost.
  • No board member have ever taken a penny out of the club, in fact they still put money in each season that covers general expenses - additional overnight stays, training gear etc. All things that largely go unnoticed.
  • Player recruitment is down to the manager, if he wants a player and they're affordable then we'll bring them in. The board won't interfere and say they don't rate players, they certainly won't suggest who should play.
  • Supporters bar has a design ready to go - a timeline with photos of highlights from along the journey. There's an awareness that it's taken too long to sort this.
  • Was suggested that the occasional interview with the chairman should just have good news in it, not generally be tempered with talk of budgets.
  • An effort to be made to have special offers that don't always include caveats - a suggested example of free kids season tickets available to all kids, not free kids season tickets available with the purchase of adult season tickets.

Apologies as there's probably plenty of things I've forgotten as well. But I definitely left there feeling that there's a desire to improve things. Hopefully the coming meetings with different groups will be successful.

Thats some level of honesty, well done Mr B. I look forward to The Special One selecting me from the masses next time around.

2 hours ago, Bubba said:

My favourite moment was when the forum played its part in saving the Thai children stuck underground when the caves became flooded.

just disappointed none of those rescued bothered to make it to the first team

9 hours ago, Bobbins said:

My understanding was that it will be a timeline of FCHT.

a sadly catastrophic own goal, surely Mr BCFC has been a fan through all the Valley Paraders incarnations 

5 hours ago, chadders said:

Are you for real young man ?? If you scroll back through this thread there are at least 2 people who were invited who by their own admission have been open in their criticism of the board. Had the chairman just invited "yes men" then they would all have turned up and he would have been surrounded by sycophants scattering rose petals wherever he walked Of the 14 that were invited seven did not want to / were unable to attend but for only 1 of the 7 who accepted to have the grace to turn up shows disrespect an a total lack of manners. I know the long overdue fan engagement has to start somewhere but I commented at the time that inviting people from an unofficial fans forum whose members would amass to less than 0.5% of the clubs fanbase and choose to hide behind pseudonyms with the main protagonists failing to / not able to attend games. This is indicative of the way some on here conduct themselves and lets hope the similar fan engagement initiatives planned for next few months are open to a more appreciative clientele.

Yours in sport,

FC Halifax Town stooge.. 

PS - Just seen the apology from the Ashtons' and hope they have apologised to all appropriate parties accordingly. 

0.5% are you sure, how big is our fan base???

6 hours ago, francisfirth said:

Interesting perspective, I think some do, I think some don't. I have my memories through the decades, whether they are on a wall in a bar I never go to just doesn't matter a jot to me. In all that Bobbins wrote, and thanks for a great read out lad, the insight and myth busting is what I find useful.  it describes the realty of running a football club in town that doesn't really care, at a ground that costs you a fortune every week and with a financial cap on what's possible if you want to continue to exist in the future. All of those things have existed since the day I started supporting the club and we as fans are only here because we love the unerdog.

What is the rent we pay? Not being funny but I amongst other things have a 2 grass pitch football academy (not in Spain and no I am not JF!) and the running costs are c£30k pa on the grounds themselves and I don't have the best stadium in non-league surrounding it?! I feel our rent is reasonable 

Just now, vinnyweknuts said:

What is the rent we pay? Not being funny but I amongst other things have a 2 grass pitch football academy (not in Spain and no I am not JF!) and the running costs are c£30k pa on the grounds themselves and I don't have the best stadium in non-league surrounding it?! I feel our rent is reasonable 

The rent is peanuts considering the turnover. I bet people living in rented accommodation wish they had such a small percentage of their income to pay in rent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobbins said:

Thanks for the breakdown of the meeting Bobbins.

37 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

The rent is peanuts considering the turnover. I bet people living in rented accommodation wish they had such a small percentage of their income to pay in rent.

I think we have a good deal compared to owning the stadium, although the freehold would be nice

47 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

People living in rented accommodation wont be paying wages to 25 + staff on top. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

I think we have a good deal compared to owning the stadium, although the freehold would be nice

It's the overall picture Vin, stadium bigger than we need, no ability to generate income from it beyond entrance fees.