Sign in to follow this  
chadders

Ask Away................

Name and shame those who said they'd be attending but didn't turn up, unless of course apologies were offered beforehand.

@Bobbins, anything to pass on from the meeting?

3 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Agreed. Check out the article in the Courier - call him boring, unadventurous, unambitious...I would call it sensible and regardless of DB faults you can be confident there will be no financial disasters on his watch.

There will be no return to The Football League either.

13 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

There will be no return to The Football League either.

Probably right, yes. Unless we have a fluke season like 1997/98 when all the right ingredients fall into place.

4 minutes ago, Bobbins said:

• Supporters bar has a design ready to go - a timeline with photos of highlights from along the journey. There's an awareness that it's taken too long to sort this.

Being a Supporters bar, will this timeline cover Halifax Town's club since the team started playing at the Shay early last century?

Just now, rdj said:

Being a Supporters bar, will this timeline cover Halifax Town's club since the team started playing at the Shay early last century?

My understanding was that it will be a timeline of FCHT.

Just now, Bobbins said:

My understanding was that it will be a timeline of FCHT.

and then the BoD wonder why the "Halifax supporters" feel a certain amount of alienation !

• Like 3

Just now, rdj said:

and then the BoD wonder why the "Halifax supporters" feel a certain amount of alienation !

I may have understood wrongly, or it may be that others who speak with the Chairman in the coming weeks feel stronger about the photos than me. Personally I just want the bar to feel less like a bloody rugby bar. And I'd be more bothered about getting TV's that don't lose signal when someone uses their phone nearby than I am with whether there's a picture of Dudley Lewis on the wall rather than Tony Barras.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rdj said:

Sounded a very good meeting, such a shame others didn't bother to turn up to listen and offer their ideas. A great improvement on what we have heard before from the Chairman and he is obviously opening up a little more and has had to. I would like mementos from the old club, but yet again the first comment to come out of a massively positive meeting is a negative! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, steve lumb said:

Since I know who was invited, they were not DB compliant fan club members

Is it just me who finds it disrespectful that if you say yes in your RSVP and then don't turn up?

I was one of those who said yes. Me and my dad actually thought it was tonight and we were planning on going tonight. Until bobbins said yesterday he was the only one there. Apologies. 

2 hours ago, rdj said:

Interesting perspective, I think some do, I think some don't. I have my memories through the decades, whether they are on a wall in a bar I never go to just doesn't matter a jot to me. In all that Bobbins wrote, and thanks for a great read out lad, the insight and myth busting is what I find useful.  it describes the realty of running a football club in town that doesn't really care, at a ground that costs you a fortune every week and with a financial cap on what's possible if you want to continue to exist in the future. All of those things have existed since the day I started supporting the club and we as fans are only here because we love the unerdog.

Edited by francisfirth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, francisfirth said:

at a ground that costs you a fortune every week

Compared to what?

3 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

It was from behind a keyboard that Jim Brown and his Lackeys were exposed which eventually led them to be dispatched. It was from behind a keyboard that Tony Abbott and the bunch of Calderdale Clown Councillors were exposed and their ideas dispatched. The keyboard is mightier than the sword.

So what's the similarities between JB, TA and DB?  Are we suggesting DB is a dodgy character who is going to do an Abbot or a Brown and therefore he needs lambasting at every opportunity?  As Bubba says, he runs a tight ship, it limits what we can do and some people would rather he chucked his money at the club. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Compared to what?

My point is, its more we than we need in size terms and we can't generate any continuous off the field in come from it.  So those two factors mean it costs us more than a more compact stadium with better earning potential would.  Obviously, a different  and more compact ground would come with an investment cost.

Edited by francisfirth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, francisfirth said:

My point is, its more we than we need in size terms and we can't generate any continuous off the field in come from it.  So those two factors mean it costs us more than a more compact stadium with better earning potential would.  

The Shay is a great stadium for the level we are at, what would be a massive boost is if the club could control the catering and bar facilities, but as we know that probably won't happen and if it did the rent would I imagine be substantially increased 

4 hours ago, francisfirth said:

If ever there was an indicator, alongside attendances, of how engaged fans are with the board, then the take up and behaviour around this event says it all.  Of course, as Steve says, it was a mixed group, not 14 yes men. It always had to be, there would be zero value in talking to just yes men. So you possibly weren't starting with the most committed group.   

Here's the thing for me. one idea could be that the forum wasn't the best starting point for this. This place, similar to most forums, is dominated by the idea that success in football isn't complicated and with a few formation tweaks, plus signing an untested striker from the northern premier we would be back in the football league.  If you hold that belief, it's unlikely that you would want to spend time talking sense with a man who has dedicated a big part of his life to the club since we reformed and for the first time in my watching history, made it run like a business.  Love him or hate him for how he runs this club, and we all know what bits don't work, the man deserves some respect.  It's just easier to slag off him, the manager  and everything that the club does from behind a keyboard than it is to have an adult face to face discussion.  

Well said

On 25/01/2019, 13:55:57, TJAshton said:
16 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Perhaps if the “random” selector had selected passionate critics rather than compliant DB fan club members it might have been more useful. Surrounding yourself with yes men is not good business

Are you for real young man ?? If you scroll back through this thread there are at least 2 people who were invited who by their own admission have been open in their criticism of the board. Had the chairman just invited "yes men" then they would all have turned up and he would have been surrounded by sycophants scattering rose petals wherever he walked Of the 14 that were invited seven did not want to / were unable to attend but for only 1 of the 7 who accepted to have the grace to turn up shows disrespect an a total lack of manners. I know the long overdue fan engagement has to start somewhere but I commented at the time that inviting people from an unofficial fans forum whose members would amass to less than 0.5% of the clubs fanbase and choose to hide behind pseudonyms with the main protagonists failing to / not able to attend games. This is indicative of the way some on here conduct themselves and lets hope the similar fan engagement initiatives planned for next few months are open to a more appreciative clientele.

Yours in sport,

FC Halifax Town stooge.. 

PS - Just seen the apology from the Ashtons' and hope they have apologised to all appropriate parties accordingly. 

1 minute ago, chadders said:

inviting people from an unofficial fans forum whose members would amass to less than 0.5% of the clubs fanbase

What? There are only 6 or 7 members on here?

3 minutes ago, chadders said:

an unofficial fans forum whose members would amass to less than 0.5% of the clubs fanbase and choose to hide behind pseudonyms

Was waiting for someone to make this argument, had my money on Steve Lumb. First of all, this 'unofficial' forum has been around at least twice as long as this BoD and is open to all Town supporters, near and far, lapsed and fully engaged. To suggest that it doesn't represent a reasonable cross section of supporters is a little disingenuous considering most debates/threads end up showcasing a wide variety of opinion.

And the pseudonym thing... I know you're Chadders, I don't think I know your real name (it certainly doesn't come to mind as I write this). I know who you are because you've been pointed out to me at a game, but I still don't really know you. Besides, this BoD wanted to remain invisible and anonymous when they joined the bloody club in the first place.

And finally, the fact they had to invite supporters using an unofficial forum rather than the official one is no-one's fault but their own.

• Like 1

Consider ourselves well and truly lambasted and placed on the naughty step for eternity . Wonder if any other Calderdale sporting organisations are more worthy of our attentions ?