Sign in to follow this  
johngrantsnumber1

Braintree

20 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

What to say about today's game?
It's two points dropped, no questions asked. Braintree Town are going down and they're not making any pretenses about pulling off any sort of great escape any time soon. Today's performance was rubbish, the crap-o-meter bust a spring and has been sent in to the repair man again. Not a single player out there for us had a good first touch, but overall it was astonishing that we didn't seem to have a plan on how to take maximum points against the bottom team at home. How? We did have some semblance of a plan against Harrogate on Boxing Day (albeit after half time) and against Gateshead away, and you come away from those matches thinking we gave a good showing against tough opposition. Fair enough.

Today though the first half was dismal, boring and poor. In the second half we saw why Braintree are bottom of the league. They were no good in attack or defence, and in a truly uneventful game they gave us 2 pr 3 opportunities to just score almost by default- Quigley's run through in the first half (Quigley didn't look fit today), the blatant hand ball that wasn't given in the second half, and then the woeful missed header that should have landed on Quigley's foot if he bothered sticking it out.

On the many occasions when we gave the ball away to them it was more likely that they'd give it away than really punish us for it. But for us, whether it landed at the feet of Preston, Kosylo or even Jacob Hanson, the ball was miscontrolled, ushered out of play or into a one way street, and it wasn't down to these individuals but often down to them not having a team mate to pass to. It felt like a random assortment of players were chucked onto the pitch. What's criminal is that again, nothing was done to change this throughout the whole 90 minutes. Edwards was brought on as a like for like sub for Southwell. That was it. 

We will regret this result, just like how we'll regret the drubbings against our relegation rivals. Our Christmas campaign has been average with some glimmers of hope, but today is a stark reminder of how incapable we are of scoring in general, how dependent we are one or two players to help lift a really average starting 11 (back 4 excepted) and how blunt and useless our general plan is.

As for the match atmosphere- the prices have scared off most people, and combined with some really terrible home matches that's left the Shay deathly quiet except for the yellow and green team leader sirens going off. I know we can have these sorts of atmospheres now and again, but I've experienced this now for 4 matches over the Christmas period. This is not looking good in general. But I'll stand by for the occasional good moment like Southwell's winner v harrogate. The intervals between moments like that are gonna be long and tedious from now on.  

Watch JF's post match interview on shaymen TV...he knows , no excuses ...not good enough today

First half Maher and Southwell  didn't have a kick, the team is not set up properly, who is responsible  for that. I'm saying no more.

Maher poor again , played out of position, Preston ! Gets the ball, looks up ! Sees where most players are congregated, puts head down and runs straight into them. His display today made odelusi look like a footballer 

1 hour ago, archietaylor7 said:

Couple of things for me regarding both Harrogate & Braintree:- Harrogate had that little No4 who completely dominated both our games against them and in my opinion Braintree had the guy wearing the No10 shirt who bossed the midfield for them. If anything, it really proves that we desperately need a quality midfielder and that they are out there!!! The No24, Ginger lad playing up front was very good as well. Should be playing in a better team.

The issue is, we let them look like they are running the game when really we are giving them the space to do it. We drop far too deep and let opposition CM pick up the ball. If our opponents did that with Ferry every week we’d think he was amazing.

No24 is Callum Morton, on loan from West Brom. Useful looking player 

5 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Its far easier to change draws into victories.

JF has a side who defensively are difficult to break down and emphasis is strongly weighted towards defending well and collectively as a team. Afterall if you dont concede you cant lose.

The recruitment of Ferry and Quigley will bear fruit. Alongside the return of Thommo who we missed today.

Kossy played like it was his last game today, so i dont expect him to stay. His contribution was limited.

The players are collectively nervous of making a mistake. Preston got grief for losing possession when he drove forward and beat about four players. He didnt do it again. These lads are young and need encouragement.

I admit it wasnt great today, but ive seen a lot worse. If we were getting overrun every week and the players didnt look bothered then i could understand. 

I have no time for the irrelevant non attenders, but would encourage those that do attend matches to get behind these young lads , because as we saw against Harrogate a split second piece of skill can change the outcome of a game.

Next week sees the visit of Solihull. On form we are unfancied, but who knows. A good run in the Trophy would be a bonus.

Indeed. It’s time now to be a supporter 

Defence fine, just as well!! Anything forward of that were bereft of skill or touch, tactics what tactics. Braintree showed far more energy & endeavour, as well they couldn't shoot or we would have been in trouble. Entertainment  value = nil, total waste of time & money

26 goals in 28 games is not the style of football we were expecting after the early season promises

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Its far easier to change draws into victories.

JF has a side who defensively are difficult to break down and emphasis is strongly weighted towards defending well and collectively as a team. Afterall if you dont concede you cant lose.

The recruitment of Ferry and Quigley will bear fruit. Alongside the return of Thommo who we missed today.

Kossy played like it was his last game today, so i dont expect him to stay. His contribution was limited.

The players are collectively nervous of making a mistake. Preston got grief for losing possession when he drove forward and beat about four players. He didnt do it again. These lads are young and need encouragement.

I admit it wasnt great today, but ive seen a lot worse. If we were getting overrun every week and the players didnt look bothered then i could understand. 

I have no time for the irrelevant non attenders, but would encourage those that do attend matches to get behind these young lads , because as we saw against Harrogate a split second piece of skill can change the outcome of a game.

Next week sees the visit of Solihull. On form we are unfancied, but who knows. A good run in the Trophy would be a bonus.

The last bit of the bold section shows exactly why you arnt bothered by the current performances. You seem quite happy to sit back knowing we have a solid defense and hope to snatch something late on, the exact style Fullarton is using, however there is a football saying the best form of defense is attack, we don't do that.

And here's a saying that i will use now. If you sit back and defend eventually you will concede. Especially non league defenders. 

And another one as well. If you don't attack you won't win. That has been a fact of so many of our games this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, away_day_blues said:

I didn't go today but it sounded grim. I was at both the Harrogate games. On Boxing day we were terrible for 45 minutes but the team showed fight in the second half to gain the win. We weren't better than Harrogate on the balance of play though.

NYD and again we were terrible for 70 minutes. Harrogate couldn't kill us off and the last 20 mins of the game was fortunately enough for us to grab the draw.

The beef I have with Fullarton is that he was brought in with the prospect of being a great coach and having the ability to get the most out of fairly limited resources but with a full time schedule. I'm sorry but I just see no evidence of this. This could not have been more apparent than on NYD.

Harrogate should have killed us off and have had a recent poor run of form but they are in the play off mix for a reason and it isn't cash. They are properly coached. They had shape and retained possession effectively. All we do is constantly look to play the long ball over the opposition defence and never look comfortable on the ball. Where is the coaching? I see no evidence when I have seen us play this year.

Any answers to this post JGN1 you seemed to have dodged this one ?

Sad when all we have to get exited about is a throw in, with Icke on this one wont be coming next Saturday because after watching them for the last 66 years I don't think I can remember seeing such a gutless, lack of passion, team that we have got but this is the managers fault who does not seem to have any plan at 3 00 of  what to do or any plan b later in the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guido said:

Any answers to this post JGN1 you seemed to have dodged this one ?

Regarding Harrogate. I’ve said it before. They played nice tippy tappy football but gained one point out of six against us. 

Regarding players. I have noticed a MASSIVE improvement in both Brown and Tomlinson under JF. Brown is a lot fitter for a start. And Thommo is unrecognisable compared to under Heath. That ok? 

So lucky to be away on holiday for this one. Feel sorry for my friend who i gave my season ticket to. Hope he enjoyed his pie and peas at least. The BOD need to go in on Monday morning and give this clown the " Scarborough " warning. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Regarding Harrogate. I’ve said it before. They played nice tippy tappy football but gained one point out of six against us. 

Regarding players. I have noticed a MASSIVE improvement in both Brown and Tomlinson under JF. Brown is a lot fitter for a start. And Thommo is unrecognisable compared to under Heath. That ok? 

We came out with the spoils over the two games but it wasn't through out-playing Harrogate. You'd take this if it was the case over the season but the respective longer term results and performances highlight why each side is where they are due to the differing approaches and success (or lack of) the coaching that has raken place at each club.

Harrogate carved out way more chances than us, even in the second half on Boxing day. NYD I thought they were set up great for an away side but were incredibly naive to think they could sit on the one goal. Their side is much the same as last season's from the division below, bar a couple of solid signings that have made a real difference.

6 hours ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Are we in the relegation zone?

A few weeks ago you were talking about play offs, then top 10, then top half, then mid table.  Seriously, what are your expectations within our budget?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AndyStafford said:

A few weeks ago you were talking about play offs, then top 10, then top half, then mid table.  Seriously, what are your expectations within our budget?

Sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me. You know, as a human being, and a loyal Shayman. 

It was and is to remain in the league and then build on that next season. 

Scot you say that JF states no excuses in his interview, why doesn't he change his poor tactics?

Sorry but he appears arrogant and clueless, the sooner he goes the better. We are dire to watch and he is like a mannequin on the touchline.

• Like 1

BBC website views on game -

"Rock-bottom Braintree were unlucky not to gain a morale-boosting away win, and had to settle for a 0-0 draw at Halifax.

Braintree remained on the front foot in the second half. Cameron James's shot was smothered by Sam Johnson after Callum Morton had put him through.

Halifax were disappointing throughout and struggled to create even half-chances."

That's not going to help attract those fairweather fans to visit the Shay.

Heard quite a few people on the way out stating that's it " I'm not paying 20 quid to watch that " sadly we are going to see sub 1,000 crowds this year.

It's alright Sellars stood there shaking his head at the boo's & Jeers but he will still be picking up his nice wedge not finding himself £20 down.

Perhaps rather than shaking his head he should be thinking, Sh!t how bad are we if we don't start performing than not just the gaffer we are all in trouble !! 

Would that have been his thought ? I guess not.

5 minutes ago, Guido said:

Heard quite a few people on the way out stating that's it " I'm not paying 20 quid to watch that " sadly we are going to see sub 1,000 crowds this year.

It's alright Sellars stood there shaking his head at the boo's & Jeers but he will still be picking up his nice wedge not finding himself £20 down.

Perhaps rather than shaking his head he should be thinking, Sh!t how bad are we if we don't start performing than not just the gaffer we are all in trouble !! 

Would that have been his thought ? I guess not.

I’m sorry but if you’re even contemplating not coming down as we are poor to watch then you’re a poor fan. Life isn’t always about the good times. Get over it. 

Total Disrespect for people that travel hours to attend an home game which will costs far more than £20

Sorry but i am going to be a sheep and agree with the majority " You are a deluded fool " 

• Like 4