Wrexham game thread

royals1922

Fair result at the end of the day. Nothing much between both sides, which must be seen as a positive in the end. I do feel that we may well be heading for a bit of a dead rubber season as far as the league goes. We look to be avoiding being dragged into a relegation scrap, which is good (The bottom 5 now 4 points further adrift with a couple of the "money" sides who could buy their way out of trouble in January just above them), but I feel we are probably a couple of players short of being able to mount a serious title/playoff push). 

That said, there doesn't seem to be any stand out teams in this league, so win two or three in a row and we are right in the mix again. 

MOM was decided by 3 of us, so I don't take all the blame for it. My shortlist was Hotte, Brown and Johnson in that order, but the other 2 put Johnson first, so he won. I personally thought no one played really bad for us today and there wasn't tons in it either way.

In the past month overall Hotte is the one player that has really impressed me. I honestly do feel if we lose him he will be a bigger loss than many may think.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really can't believe people knocking this squad and Heath with the achievements to date. With our budget, who on earth would come in and do any better? Every player gives his all, we are organised and

Decent performance. My opinion of Kevin Roberts changed tonight, getting at kosylo trying to get him sent off. Never a penalty at the end. Can't believe the sponsors chose Sam Johnson as man of match,

Connor Oliver is there to play football, get it on the deck and keep possession. There was an occasion when he had the ball last night and 3 of our players just ran away from him. Oliver had no option

Posted Images

Tomlinson impressed me in pre season and whenever he has come on has done a good job for the team but he is a centre forward therefore if JMac was to be dropped then it should be for Dion. However, JMacs defensive work going unnoticed here as he is protecting the RBs well while we are changing there all the time, kosylo doesn’t have the defensive work to do as the LBs holding their position to allow him to be more effective going forward 

6 hours ago, Flea said:

Fair result at the end of the day. Nothing much between both sides, which must be seen as a positive in the end. I do feel that we may well be heading for a bit of a dead rubber season as far as the league goes. We look to be avoiding being dragged into a relegation scrap, which is good (The bottom 5 now 4 points further adrift with a couple of the "money" sides who could buy their way out of trouble in January just above them), but I feel we are probably a couple of players short of being able to mount a serious title/playoff push). 

That said, there doesn't seem to be any stand out teams in this league, so win two or three in a row and we are right in the mix again. 

A couple of players short, just what many fans have been saying for weeks, maybe months. Over to you Bosomworth.

No stand out teams, too right, this league is there for the taking, Over to you, Heath, Bosomworth.

Does this Club really want promotion? Over to you Bosomworth. 

6 hours ago, born to moan said:

Our MOM tonight Brown by  country mile, followed by our best set piece defender Tom Denton he headed out every corner and set piece Wrexham had. Please let someone else other than Oliver take the corners and free kicks, his lobs into the box are food and drink to good keepers.

After seeing Oliver at Gateshead and seeing his free kick attempt after Morgan had rattled the bar with one from the same distance I could not understand why he took the one last night. Most fans around me knew where it was going and asked why Morgan was not given the chance.  Has Oliver ever had a shot on target or anywhere near?  

20 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

A couple of players short, just what many fans have been saying for weeks, maybe months. Over to you Bosomworth.

No stand out teams, too right, this league is there for the taking, Over to you, Heath, Bosomworth.

Does this Club really want promotion? Over to you Bosomworth. 

Been said before season started........do we have the ambition it is still not too late get these players in. This league is there for the taking.

15 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Been said before season started........do we have the ambition it is still not too late get these players in. This league is there for the taking.

Assuming we do not bring in anyone this week ( who would know as no signing has yet been telegraphed), the FA Cup week will give us the time to bring in a new player or two and let him or they settle in the side without any effect on the points total.

7 hours ago, Jmc said:

Giving Johnson mom only serves to convince Wrexham fans they should have won, can’t remember them creating a single clear cut chance against a part time team down to the bones 

Johnson was never man of match. All of the defence and Denton were candidates for it before Sam. 

8 hours ago, AJS said:

A point was a fair result in my opinion. Neither team were good in front of goal so i don't think anyone can grumble at the scoreline. Thought the back 4 was very solid, especially Brown. Man of the match by a mile for me. No idea how Johnson got it. He only had to make one routine save.

Thought the ref was appaling at times, for both teams i may add if any Wrexham fans are reading this. Jennings got a booking for literally nothing yet Hotte got away with nothing on when he cropped there lad. How Roberts didn't get anything for cropping Macca though i will never know. Thought he got lots of small decisions wrong for both teams too

Jennings got his booking because it was his second foul on Mac within a few minutes. the first foul was a booking every day of the week but it was so early the ref probably didn't want to start giving card out so early. He didn't really have a choice after the second.

31 minutes ago, townmad said:

Jennings got his booking because it was his second foul on Mac within a few minutes. the first foul was a booking every day of the week but it was so early the ref probably didn't want to start giving card out so early. He didn't really have a choice after the second.

It was the third foul as he also did MacDonald with a late challenge,  agree that the first one was a booking all day and disappointed that we didn't keep running at him and give him a torrid time 

19 minutes ago, kellster said:

If their 3 had been booked for the first challenge he would not have been booked and sent off for the second challenge when he was booked. (If that makes sense) 

And if Hotte and Denton had got booked sooner they wouldn't have got booked for incidents that were clearly not bookable offences

Roberts did what he needed to do to try and get a win for his team, by winding up the oppositions best player who he knows has a short fuse.

where it did cross the line is when Kossy was smashed for the free kick, he was gesturing furiously at the referee and 4th official he had been spat at by Roberts whilst on the floor and was clearly seen wiping his face. If this did happen then it's disgusting and all the respect I had for him would be gone. Also the challenge on McManus was awful!

Well competed and well battled Town. Nothing between the sides at all. We were down to the bare bones. Biggest disappointment were Wrexham. They were ill disciplined and unprofessional from start to finish and it was comedy trying to watch their forwards battle with Brown and Hotte! Wrexham have had better sides than that at this level, it's a good job the league is so even this year, that might give them a chance via play-offs but if your talking title winners or stand out team - sorry not for me. They were powder puff. 

It was an open game but game of few chances, both had half chances to win it, intact towards the end we engineered at least two golden chances that just needed more composure. 

To say our lads has been plastering and building all day and our squad was down to the bones I thought we more than matched the wrapped in cotton wool lads from North Wales. 

A deserved point. 

Man of the Match award from the sponsors was bizzare, Johnson was hardly rushed off his feet. Made a nice camera save in the first half and dealt with a cross come shot very well in the second half. That's it.

Big shout to Matty Brown, best defender on the pitch alongside Hotte who is natural at centre back. Also big shout to Lynch. It was tough in there for him but he was first to most things and even showed some drive forward and a nice mid range of passing. 

Plonker of the night goes to Wrexhams Pearson, motor mouth, donkey, cry baby all rolled into one. Skippers arm band as well........he was an embarrassment to his profession and I can't help feeling with a bit more leadership and example on the pitch Wrexham might have come away with the points.

Macclesfield are top of the league, they have lost the same amount of games as us and are 1 worse off on goal difference.

Its all to play for. 

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

After seeing Oliver at Gateshead and seeing his free kick attempt after Morgan had rattled the bar with one from the same distance I could not understand why he took the one last night. Most fans around me knew where it was going and asked why Morgan was not given the chance.  Has Oliver ever had a shot on target or anywhere near?  

Barrow away. Clipped the bar.

1 hour ago, royals1922 said:

Had a look at the Wrexham forum.

If you wondered where Mickey Thomas got his arrogance, you will find the answer there.

Was funny hearing them cheer like they had win the Konica league when the tannoy announced that for the first time in history they managed to bring over 500 to the Shay.

Thats the worst Wrexham team I've seen at this level. 

Million miles away from promotion based on that. They were no better than us

20 minutes ago, Ash said:

Roberts did what he needed to do to try and get a win for his team, by winding up the oppositions best player who he knows has a short fuse.

where it did cross the line is when Kossy was smashed for the free kick, he was gesturing furiously at the referee and 4th official he had been spat at by Roberts whilst on the floor and was clearly seen wiping his face. If this did happen then it's disgusting and all the respect I had for him would be gone. Also the challenge on McManus was awful!

I wasn't there but listening to the commentary and hearing how bad it sounded and then seeing the picture I don't know how he stayed on. 

33 minutes ago, Mr Vincent said:

Was funny hearing them cheer like they had win the Konica league when the tannoy announced that for the first time in history they managed to bring over 500 to the Shay.

Thats the worst Wrexham team I've seen at this level. 

Million miles away from promotion based on that. They were no better than us

The only time I can remember them bettering that was a Friday night game (it might have been 1991-1992 season.) They brought over 1000 but they won promotion that season. There fans invaded the pitch at the end of the game

Their fans used to always cause trouble as well. I wasn't very keen on Wrexham. Looks like its the players that have carried on the trouble now.

11 hours ago, halifaxmark said:

Decent performance. My opinion of Kevin Roberts changed tonight, getting at kosylo trying to get him sent off. Never a penalty at the end. Can't believe the sponsors chose Sam Johnson as man of match, he made 1 average save from a free kick. Matty Brown was a rock tonight 

Thought the exact same thing... not the Robbo that we knew and loved! And the push on Macca sending him into the stand?..

Regarding free kicks - what do people really expect? A player that can put in a good, consistent delivery comes around about once every 10 years at this level, if that.

Just because Morgan hit the bar once doesn't mean he's incredible at them either - a couple of rank miscues down at Ebbsfleet, for those not there to see them. Equally I remember Hibbs having a couple of decent efforts...he also hit a load of rubbish.

It's what you're going to get at this level folks - anyone expecting a brilliant delivery every single time, or even half the time, is going to be very disappointed. Just watch the Premiership; you don't even get good deliveries there half the time.

Archived