Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your First Game

Your first game   77 votes

1. 1. When did you attend your first game at the Shay?

• 1950s or earlier
    • 1960s
    • 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s
  2. 2. What made you attend for the first time? (can select more than one)

• Talked into it by friends or family
    • Coverage of the club in the Evening Courier or other newspaper
    • Free tickets or due to other HXTFC community events
    • Some sort of sponsorship of the club
    • For a big game (relegation or promotion decider, cup game, etc)
    • As a school kid taking part in half-time entertainment, ball boy or similar
    • Worked for the club or played for the club's youth and/or reserve team(s)
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Something to pass the time. Well, about 20 seconds worth of time :)

Hoddie, in my era, we all first started going with our dads, then as we got older it was as a group of school friends without our dads (although they were still there).

I think going with Dads merits its own vote, as opposed to "talked into it by friends and family" - I wasn't talked into it, I pestered him to take me.

My son would also answer this that way

With my dad & brother (and neighbours, about half a dozen of us) for the first replay against Walsall 1979-80. By then we knew we'd be playing Man City in the 3rd Round if we won.

Hoddie, in my era, we all first started going with our dads, then as we got older it was as a group of school friends without our dads (although they were still there).

I think going with Dads merits its own vote, as opposed to "talked into it by friends and family" - I wasn't talked into it, I pestered him to take me.

My son would also answer this that way

Hoddie can we have a 1940's option for Steve Please!!  :D

Old Clougie's Nottingham Forest in the Cup at the Shay in 1986 (i think it was 86)

I think my first one must have been early 1998, because we were in the terraced part of the Skircoat, there were people in the East Stand and neither the North nor South stands had roofs, and I vaguely remember us getting promoted that season and doing well in the old Third Division the season after. That's my first memory of it anyway. Don't know which way the pestering went but we ended up going.

Also can we have a 1911 option for chadders? Be fair.

Haven't a clue! All I know is that it was sometime in the 90's (between 95 and 98) and I was taken by my dad and grandad

my first game was man city in the cup 1979 i went with my dad i pestered him lol

96/97 was my first.

Euro 96 was what got me into football, and with not living with my dad, I think he thought taking me down the Shay would be some sort of bonding thing, and kill some time.

I was all for it, and irony of irony's, if memory is correct I was really excited and looking forward to going to my first ever game, and it got called off for some reason, and I had to wait a few more weeks.

All I can remember really from the first few years is that it didn't take long for my dad to sack coming down off. Probably only went to 2 or 3 games, but I carried on going down, meeting him in the town before and after the game, and getting the "quid a kid" coupons from the back of the Courier, back in the days when it was a decent paper, and you had to fold it out like a map to read!!!

About 1987/88, cant remember who against. Were given free tickets by Greetland Boys Club (who I played for) so my dad took my sister and I down and we were hooked. My dad used to watch Halifax and Huddersfield (whoever were at home that particular weekend) but had got out of the habit when he become a parent. From that point on the three of us and more often than not my uncle and cousin never missed home games and went to the majority of away games.

Lincoln home defeat 3-1 in 1981.......Hooked!

saturday 3rd december 1955. what a result thaught they were the best team in the world 

Can't remember. I was at jumior school at the time, so early eighties.

1956/1957 Sat 13 Apr Halifax Town 2 - 1 Chesterfield Third Division (North)

I attended my first game at the Shay a month ago! I was visiting England from the States, and convinced my hosts to drive us from Harrogate to Halifax so we could watch the Shaymen play Brackley. They had never been to a football match before - and admitted that they knew nothing of the game - so a good amount of the match was spent explaining to them what was happening on the pitch. (Hopefully we didn't annoy those sitting around us too badly!) It was the first football match I've ever attended in the UK. Even though it ended 0-0, I was dorkily excited by the whole experience, and am glad I had a chance to go to the Shay! Now if only I didn't live so far away, I'd be going to games whenever I got the chance.

I attended my first game at the Shay a month ago! I was visiting England from the States, and convinced my hosts to drive us from Harrogate to Halifax so we could watch the Shaymen play Brackley. They had never been to a football match before - and admitted that they knew nothing of the game - so a good amount of the match was spent explaining to them what was happening on the pitch. (Hopefully we didn't annoy those sitting around us too badly!) It was the first football match I've ever attended in the UK. Even though it ended 0-0, I was dorkily excited by the whole experience, and am glad I had a chance to go to the Shay! Now if only I didn't live so far away, I'd be going to games whenever I got the chance.

let's hope that we're now your team - it won't be easy you know ;)

Don't worry Steve, I've been trying to explain al this ;)

mine would of been early 90's and all i can remember is it was a night game, i was sat on the Skircoat wall and someone pointed and said to me 'thats Chris Lucketti over there'

Definitely my non-league team... and if the Shaymen ever play my non-non-league team, I'll be pulling for the Shaymen, so that makes Halifax my team, right? ;)

And I'm okay with it not being easy. I grew up a Red Sox (baseball) fan in the days when they hadn't won anything in 86 years, but specialized at coming agonizingly close before breaking our hearts. I'm used to it!

didnt the red sox win something in the early 2000s?

saturday 3rd december 1955. what a result thaught they were the best team in the world 

Beat Bradford 6-0, right?

Brilliant! What possessed you to watch the Town, if I may ask?

didnt the red sox win something in the early 2000s?

Yeah, they finally won the title in 2004. Growing up with a die-hard-fan grandma who never saw them win anything before she died, and being mocked as a fan of a "cursed" team for most of my life, I have an appreciation for what it's like to stick with a team through hard times!

Brilliant! What possessed you to watch the Town, if I may ask?

My family moved to the States from Halifax, so the Town has a special place in my heart :) I've been following the club's past few seasons with the help of twitter, and when I had the chance to visit Yorkshire I made a trip to the Shay a priority!

Was talking to my grandad the other day, and he said his first game was against Sunderland (in 1953 I think) as a 7 year old. Told me the story on the way to brackley, which made seeing his face at 4:55 that day an image that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The pride on his face after all the ups and downs made the whole day worthwhile and a moment I will treasure forever. Knowing he's been going nearly 60 years makes me want to emulate this feat!

1 person likes this