How long have you suffered (Tongue in Cheek)

64 posts in this topic

68-69 season. We beat Newport County 3-0. Lez Massey hatrick. First away game was at Bradford City, think it was 1-1 with Tony Flower putting us ahead. A lot of fighting at that game. 

1 hour ago, Richmond96 said:

68-69 season. We beat Newport County 3-0. Lez Massey hatrick. First away game was at Bradford City, think it was 1-1 with Tony Flower putting us ahead. A lot of fighting at that game. 

My first full season too 

god what a one to start with .. the only time we have had a league promotion.. thought that was going to be the norm .. 

starting with the best the club has ever done ... long down hill since then with a few high moments 

nick 

My bruv n me were on the double decker bus too, the driver had to find another route to avoid the low bridge, only just made it in for kick off after the near decapitation & police fannying about with searches. Never a dull moment following the Shaymen………………...that was until JF took charge:D

2 people like this

Mid 50’s for me,but can’t remember exact date/fixture.

Posted (edited)

Barely suffered at all. First game I can remember was a 2-2 home draw against Peterborough United. Didn't even know which colours we were. I liked Man U at the time and so I thought I should be cheering for the team in red (oh no).
Started to really like the club when my junior team coach brought us down to ballboy for a 2-1 home win against Gravesend and Northfleet with Andy Farrell scoring the winner (if you're reading this  Rick, thank you!)
Still though, I didn't really start going regularly until I went to secondary school- not sure who had more of a part to play, me or my Dad. I was impressed by the atmosphere at the midweek home game against Carlisle, another 2-2 draw. I went along to the matches like the 5-1 tonking against Leigh RMI, the Dunbavin debacle away at Carlise, but then the final game of the season, a nice 3-1 win against Woking. The atmosphere at this time, despite missing out on a play-off place, was really positive. Amarillo was a popular chant, and there was a funny culture at the time due to the mid-00s Soccer AM culture. Good times. I think Tim Lovejoy's a prat now, but the soccer am crew had a good thing going on back then and their good sense of humour carried over to the terraces. There were lots of funny chants. My favourites, during the itchy times around 2007 being "Stamp! Du-doo-doo, du-doo-doo, du-du-du-doo-doo Stamp!" and of course "Uhlenbeek-beek-beek-beek GUUUUS!" :D
I sat in the Skircoat where I would sit until we were no longer allowed to transfer between the two stands when the new East Stand opened. Witnessing the heartbreak of the old club's death and our buoyant rise again. There's barely been a dull season to be fair. This last one being one of maybe 2 or 3.   

Edited by olitheshayman
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, olitheshayman said:

Barely suffered at all. First game I can remember was a 2-2 home draw against Peterborough United. Didn't even know which colours we were. I liked Man U at the time and so I thought I should be cheering for the team in red (oh no).
Started to really like the club when my junior team coach brought us down to ballboy for a 2-1 home win against Gravesend and Northfleet with Andy Farrell scoring the winner (if you're reading this  Rick, thank you!)
Still though, I didn't really start going regularly until I went to secondary school- not sure who had more of a part to play, me or my Dad. I was impressed by the atmosphere at the midweek home game against Carlisle, another 2-2 draw. I went along to the matches like the 5-1 tonking against Leigh RMI, the Dunbavin debacle away at Carlise, but then the final game of the season, a nice 3-1 win against Woking. The atmosphere at this time, despite missing out on a play-off place, was really positive. Amarillo was a popular chant, and there was a funny culture at the time due to the mid-00s Soccer AM culture. Good times. I think Tim Lovejoy's a prat now, but the soccer am crew had a good thing going on back then and their good sense of humour carried over to the terraces. There were lots of funny chants. My favourites, during the itchy times around 2007 being "Stamp! Du-doo-doo, du-doo-doo, du-du-du-doo-doo Stamp!" and of course "Uhlenbeek-beek-beek-beek GUUUUS!" :D
I sat in the Skircoat where I would sit until we were no longer allowed to transfer between the two stands when the new East Stand opened. Witnessing the heartbreak of the old club's death and our buoyant rise again. There's barely been a dull season to be fair. This last one being one of maybe 2 or 3.   

Light drizzle.

2 people like this

On 18/05/2019, 11:37:02, Shaymen2008 said:

My first match was the Watneys Cup game against Man United in 71. So taking that as the start of my penance, sorry support, then that makes 48 years.

Also 48 years, Watney Cup semi v WBA

First game for me was against Bishop Auckland in the cup.....place was packed and a friendly policeman lifted me over the turnstyles to stop me getting crushed as I was only a little  lad. Of course having not paid in I was 2s better off  which was a small fortune in 1967.  I thought we were gong to win the FA cup after that match. 1st full season was 68/69 and what a year that was !  First away game was Bradford City on Boxing Day the following year. We lost 2-1 with Jeff Lee getting sent off.

14 minutes ago, Glenners said:

First game for me was against Bishop Auckland in the cup.....place was packed and a friendly policeman lifted me over the turnstyles to stop me getting crushed as I was only a little  lad. Of course having not paid in I was 2s better off  which was a small fortune in 1967.  I thought we were gong to win the FA cup after that match. 1st full season was 68/69 and what a year that was !  First away game was Bradford City on Boxing Day the following year. We lost 2-1 with Jeff Lee getting sent off.

Was that the year freezing cold and snow on the ground?

Home Welling in 97/98 season for me. I think a 1-0 win for Town, and seem to remember a linesman called Pashley...bald headed fella. Funny what you remember (though no doubt Shaymus will prove me incorrect on both counts).

1 hour ago, greg45 said:

Home Welling in 97/98 season for me. I think a 1-0 win for Town, and seem to remember a linesman called Pashley...bald headed fella. Funny what you remember (though no doubt Shaymus will prove me incorrect on both counts).

Jamie Paterson cartwheel at the 'South Stand' and Darren Lyons smacking one of their players. All accompanied by commentary from the immortal Jack Haymer! 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Jamie Paterson cartwheel at the 'South Stand' and Darren Lyons smacking one of their players. All accompanied by commentary from the immortal Jack Haymer! 

Awesome, thanks! No wonder I was hooked :lol::huh:

Used to sit near Jack and could often hear the commentary live, as it were!

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Was that the year freezing cold and snow on the ground?

I was far too young to go but I think you are correct.