Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2019/20 Expectations

28 posts in this topic

2019/20 Expectations
Well the new season ticket price as great as it is will only be a success if it is followed on the pitch therefore I´m sorry but the absolute minimum is a play off place, we have to keep the momentum going through out the season as the idea has to be cheap season tickets for 2/3 years to be successful.
So Jamie it´s been your decision to stay, as I have said before the board would never have sacked you and after strong rumours you may go including Scot thinking maybe you should (I think maybe for your health as apposed to dire football). No more comments of swimming up stream or blind pressure and no building bloody pyramids, you know the budget and have agreed to it whether willingly or otherwise so just get on with it be positive, keep the squad small but best quality we can and go for it, EVERY GAME. Then you will find as apposed to getting abuse you will only have the euphoria of the crescendo of cheers from your adoring fans.
Also give Chris Wilder a call as he must have an affection for our club and beg for a couple of long loans from the same quality of David Brooks (he will help with wages) and you can save a wage by utilising the under 19 keeper on the bench.
So C´mon lets go for it.

2 people like this

It’s hard to expect anything at this stage considering we don’t know what sort of squad we’ll be working with. Hopefully, JF has learnt from his mistakes and we can build on it. I’ll be slightly more lenient and say I’d like a top 10 place. Think playoffs might be a bit out of our reach at this stage.

1 person likes this

Just now, AJS said:

It’s hard to expect anything at this stage considering we don’t know what sort of squad we’ll be working with. Hopefully, JF has learnt from his mistakes and we can build on it. I’ll be slightly more lenient and say I’d like a top 10 place. Think playoffs might be a bit out of our reach at this stage.

With the fantastic ST price Play off place essential. Christ AJS thats only the top 7 if we don´t make that prices will go back up.

Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

With the fantastic ST price Play off place essential. Christ AJS thats only the top 7 if we don´t make that prices will go back up.

Would love to be proven wrong but just can’t see it personally. Don’t have faith in JF’s tactics and recruitment. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Club needs to bombard local schools with publicity before summer holidays. Presumably as players are in close season it will need to be club community link staff promoting the club and the ST offer.

the club can't afford any snooze mode whilst this ST offer is available

2 people like this

1 hour ago, rdj said:

Club needs to bombard local schools with publicity before summer holidays. Presumably as players are in close season it will need to be club community link staff promoting the club and the ST offer.

the club can't afford any snooze mode whilst this ST offer is available

like I have said before getting Nathan Clarke out into the community and JF and some of the other players, Plenty of junior clubs are doing end of season awards days and tournaments the club should get along to the local clubs and sell themselves. Ryburn UTD has their player of the season awards this Saturday 1 PM till 9 pm it would be great if we could get someone down to do some presentations and sell our club to the players and families.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, greygoose said:

Cant see how that can be the expectation tbh Steve, there's nothing to suggest that's what ''should'' be happening next season, progress is required but lets be realistic.

If we have an average season this time and the ST prices return to the price they were last season we'll be in National North playing in front of 7-800 within 2 years. The club decided on this offer and it needs seeing through for the coming years in order to grow the club.  I don't think the attitude can be ''lets try it once and see how we get on'', we need a vision for the future that goes beyond milking the same cow over again.

DB states improvement on 16th and striving for 7th ie play offs. On ST states if not a success they will have to revert to higher prices.

"If it's successful, we can repeat it. If it isn't, then we have to revert. But we're positive

The back 4 are already pretty much sorted. Maher and Staunton are also already on board so theres your centre half cover should brown or clarke get injured. 

We have a full 10 weeks now to just solely focus on the attacking part of the team. 

As to expectations that depends on if Mr Fullarton is willing to change and adapt. If we are going to go out there relying on set pieces for goals and the brilliance of "the throw down the line" 65 times a game. Then we will get exactly what we got this season. The same tactics will get the same results 

I am hopeful though. The defence is almost a guarentee of survival. The attack has to be right 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

DB states improvement on 16th and striving for 7th ie play offs. On ST states if not a success they will have to revert to higher prices.

"If it's successful, we can repeat it. If it isn't, then we have to revert. But we're positive

Striving for the play offs is exactly what we should be doing, expecting them is not.

If DB reverts the ST next season he'll probably kill any chance of growth. 

Like i said it has to be a sustained effort to increase the fan base. Its not a 3 month project, if serious it needs sticking with fora number of years.

4 people like this

We were 1 point away from finishing 12th that included a run of 2 wins in 20 , would expect mid table upwards next year 

7 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Striving for the play offs is exactly what we should be doing, expecting them is not.

If DB reverts the ST next season he'll probably kill any chance of growth. 

Like i said it has to be a sustained effort to increase the fan base. Its not a 3 month project, if serious it needs sticking with fora number of years.

I didn´t say I expect them I said that I believe is the requirement to sustain cheap tickets, although admit title is expectation.

I will have to wait and see who comes in first. At this moment in time I'm hoping we finish in the top half and keep progressing each season.

Play offs would obviously be great. Especially if we won them.

Posted (edited)

I'm with Steve 100% on this.

If we get anywhere near 2000 season tickets as DB wishes put on a show & the sky is the limit.

JF will only win most regulars over,if he changes tack & goes for it. He has nothing to lose. Play as last year & he will only last this season at the most & will be unlikely to get another chance elsewhere, change his approach & attack & we will all get behind him.

Then at the end of the season he will have options to either stay or move on to better things with our blessing.

This coming season we should do as in Lanso Land & make it Hot Hot Hot.

Edited by Macam blue
spelling
1 person likes this

It’s easy for people to say what style JF should play he can only produce a style of play with what he’s got ,With players like Edwards and Preston we were never going to play out and out attacking Football we simply wouldn’t have been able to do that we would have ended up like an Ipswich Town and getting destroyed every week ,We should be having a Look were we where previously successful even Huddersfield have gone to South Shields and bought a winger.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

It’s easy for people to say what style JF should play he can only produce a style of play with what he’s got ,With players like Edwards and Preston we were never going to play out and out attacking Football we simply wouldn’t have been able to do that we would have ended up like an Ipswich Town and getting destroyed every week ,We should be having a Look were we where previously successful even Huddersfield have gone to South Shields and bought a winger.

You are right FaS but Jamie bought these players to play his style, I´ve alway advocated we should be looking at SS etc.

The absolute minimum 

has to be an improvement on league position and just as important the quality of play 

so I expect to be challenging for a play off spot all season 

nick 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Like Steve and others have said, these players are still out there. They are harder to find but they are there. 

Being the manager and chief scout is too much for JF. He'll have a breakdown of he's not careful. He has to delegate some responsibility or, allocate a scout that will track non league talent and then JF can perhaps look at reserve football.

Expecting JF to drive to North Shields on Tuesdays and train the team is a big ask and I'm sure he's done it and he'll do it again but he needs some help in that department.

Such a key area needs to be expanded/improved.

Edited by Erik Everhard
1 person likes this

A potential shortfall of 200k would only be sustainable with a Cup run or player development

1 person likes this

Getting back on topic.

My second Team (the black cats) Managed by another Scot.

During last nights match, the commentator remarked on his previous record whilst winning the Scottish 1st league with St. Mirren (bobble hats at the ready to throw in the air)

Apparently, they let in plenty of goals but scored a lot more as well, obviously not a similarity to JF's team. Perhaps he can give him a few pointers (Scot, are they palls?)

The reason I mention this, is that with our strong defence just about sorted, I cannot see us conceding lots of goals. Therefore JF has the easier task in finding & coaching what should be a more attack minded playing style.

As George Washington once implied "the best form of defence is attack"

Play offs might be too much too soon but I would at least hope to see us crack the top ten. 

Can't be doing with 16th every single season (or worse). It just gets proper tedious.

11 minutes ago, Jumbo1 said:

Play offs might be too much too soon but I would at least hope to see us crack the top ten. 

Can't be doing with 16th every single season (or worse). It just gets proper tedious.

Can’t ever be too soon 

we need to start every season with the ambition of promotion otherwise why bother 

let’s all buy a season ticket and get behind the team that starts next August and who knows where we might end up 

nick 

4 people like this

Mid table is mid table whether you're 8th from the top or 5th from the bottom . Aim for mediocrity and you'll be battling relegation every season

1 person likes this

Last summer I was on a high after JF kept us in this league. The early pre season signings were heralded as fantastic players that would be great additions to the club and along with the high tempo pressing football promised gave me great optimism for the coming season. I backed us most weeks during the summer for both automatic promotion and via the play offs.

As we all know we never got what was promised and a few of the early signings were indeed duds or because of tactics were never used to the best of their ability. 

Has JF learned enough from last season to accept his mistakes and change things?

Will we have enough of a budget to enable JF to go after his first choice realistic targets or are we still shopping for bargain basement players? 

I would like to think JF has learnt a lot from last season and has the budget to try and recruit the players he wants so I am really wanting us to break into the top seven, and will be backing them again to do so, but until I see evidence of this I fear next season will end with us mid table at best.

I expect to get slated for this post but at the end of the day I am being realistic.

1 person likes this

On 18 May 2019 at 10:57:47, Shaymen2008 said:

Last summer I was on a high after JF kept us in this league. The early pre season signings were heralded as fantastic players that would be great additions to the club and along with the high tempo pressing football promised gave me great optimism for the coming season. I backed us most weeks during the summer for both automatic promotion and via the play offs.

As we all know we never got what was promised and a few of the early signings were indeed duds or because of tactics were never used to the best of their ability. 

Has JF learned enough from last season to accept his mistakes and change things?

Will we have enough of a budget to enable JF to go after his first choice realistic targets or are we still shopping for bargain basement players? 

I would like to think JF has learnt a lot from last season and has the budget to try and recruit the players he wants so I am really wanting us to break into the top seven, and will be backing them again to do so, but until I see evidence of this I fear next season will end with us mid table at best.

I expect to get slated for this post but at the end of the day I am being realistic.

Depends on whether Dithering Dave trusts him with half a bag of shekels