Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Budgets, misery and silence?

29 posts in this topic

Why can't we ever have a positive interview with Mr Bossomworth in the Courier - or elsewhere, without the (glass half full) Chairman putting us on the back foot. . . jovial soul that he is being rash for once may help us all.

The latest Courier interview shows we're yet again trying to reach to the moon on a platform of rubber bands and cardboard.

Investment is required and a communicative board is good for a start, but from 16th, where next?

3 people like this

13 minutes ago, Caygillwashere said:

Why can't we ever have a positive interview with Mr Bossomworth in the Courier - or elsewhere, without the (glass half full) Chairman putting us on the back foot. . . jovial soul that he is being rash for once may help us all.

The latest Courier interview shows we're yet again trying to reach to the moon on a platform of rubber bands and cardboard.

Investment is required and a communicative board is good for a start, but from 16th, where next?

And breath, stress is a killer 

1 person likes this

Whats wrong with honesty 

he could say we will be in Europe in ten years 

and god we have had chairmen speak crap about what they were going to do and then leave us bankrupt and relegated

For goodness sake where do you think the money comes from 

get real most money men are just lying scum bags who never put a penny in 

nick 

Edited by Nick
3 people like this

His interview around the time of the of the season ticket offer was very positive.

I do agree that he doesn't need to keep mentioning the budget. He did mention the signings of Clarke and Johnson and that if we can get it right up the other end of the pitch then we'll be in for a good season. So, there was positivity in his interview and if he can stay on that tack and leave the budget talk behind, for now, it all helps sell more season tickets. I'm not sure how many they've sold now but I would think there might be another surge if we manage to sign a decent player or two 

1 minute ago, Erik Everhard said:

His interview around the time of the of the season ticket offer was very positive.

I do agree that he doesn't need to keep mentioning the budget. He did mention the signings of Clarke and Johnson and that if we can get it right up the other end of the pitch then we'll be in for a good season. So, there was positivity in his interview and if he can stay on that tack and leave the budget talk behind, for now, it all helps sell more season tickets. I'm not sure how many they've sold now but I would think there might be another surge if we manage to sign a decent player or two 

No mention about season tickets over the last couple of weeks I wonder if sales have dried up ,If we were selling plenty I am sure it would be on Twitter.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

No mention about season tickets over the last couple of weeks I wonder if sales have dried up ,If we were selling plenty I am sure it would be on Twitter.

I think we'll have a lull until we sign some players. Also, some fans might put off buying a ticket until just before the cut off point due to holidays.

I would have been shocked if the sales had continued at the rate they had, for more than a couple of weeks.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Caygillwashere said:

Maybe ask the long list of potential investors that are cueing up to put their money into The Shaymen. 

10 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

The budget was only a small reason for last seasons dross. The managers tactics were the main reason, especially at home against clubs near the bottom. Bosomworth should be going all out to sign Rodney, then have a word in Fullartons ear. 

And Bosomworth said the same about drawing matches against bottom clubs 

and who knows what conversations are being had .. I don’t think a twitter feed on each conversation would be a good approach to trying to make a key signing or two 

Edited by Nick

7 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Apparently the lady who “knows how to extract the figures out of the machine” is on holiday 

i asked the club, and that was their answer 

it will be updated when she returns 

nick 

1 person likes this

I read the article and didnt feel it was negative.

21 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I read the article and didnt feel it was negative.

He seemed to change his mind on the ST, first interview he said St sales would not affect playing budget then second interview reversed that statement.

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

The budget was only a small reason for last seasons dross. The managers tactics were the main reason, especially at home against clubs near the bottom. Bosomworth should be going all out to sign Rodney, then have a word in Fullartons ear. 

Need a few more beside Rodney to have a real go at it next season.

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

He seemed to change his mind on the ST, first interview he said St sales would not affect playing budget then second interview reversed that statement.

I read that to mean that the playing budget is set, but if season ticket sales exceed expectations, then it may be increased.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I read that to mean that the playing budget is set, but if season ticket sales exceed expectations, then it may be increased.

I hope your interpretation is correct Hoddie.

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

That's my worry. I believe the main reason to reduce the season ticket price was to get all fans on board at an early stage. so the attendance figures wont drop too dramatically if we serve up the same dross as last season. Its ok having a word in JF's ear. The problem (for me) is that JF's is so stubborn in his ideas that he will not change what he thinks is the right way to play.

I think a toe up the butt may have a little more effect. :huh:

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I actually thought it was a quite positive interview. He understands - thankfully - that more season ticket sales doesn't necessarily translate into increased income unless some of them are sold to new supporters. I get the feeling that next season's budget is a gamble, and he knows it, but that he doesn't want to stress it too much because he's trying to remain positive, and also probably because the club has enough reserves to cope with the gamble failing. Outgoings are expected to be the same - no increase in budget/facilities/routine/etc. - but income is up in the air.

In particular I like that the club has done several scenarios of how the season ticket offer plays out, and that clearly the worst case scenario didn't put them off giving it a go.

Don't think it's too bad either, he's just telling everyone the reality of the situation which is that we don't just want the every week regular 800-1000 fans buying a ST but those that would only attend half the games normally as well. Its a no brainer for any regular but its also a  tempting offer for a floater, which are the exact people the club need to pull in to make it work.

The club wont be making money off the regulars and if only they take the offer up it wont be a deemed a success, especially if we have a season similar to last, very few will be parting with £20 on a match day.

For me they had to do something as a repeat of both last seasons ST prices and on field entertainment would have seen us looking at an average of 1,000, so if nothing else at least were looking at a regular crowds of 1,500 or so this way.

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

I read it the same as you steve.

It’s simple maths 

the more gate money the more sponsorships players sales a cup run some tV money all add up to a bigger budget 

his desire is to sell more season tickets to get more occasional supporters full time to hook young supports

all in all more people through gate buying more merchandise etc 

mots an investment to grow the club 

if it leases to more people through the gate then great .. if it leads to the same number but paying less then it has not worked 

the object has to to be to add 200-400 hundred to this seasons average 

nick 

11 minutes ago, Nick said:

It’s simple maths 

the more gate money the more sponsorships players sales a cup run some tV money all add up to a bigger budget 

his desire is to sell more season tickets to get more occasional supporters full time to hook young supports

if it leases to more people through the gate then great .. if it leads to the same number but paying less then it has not worked 

nick 

Starting with recovering the average number of fans we lost from 2017/18 (1,720) to 2018/19 (1,553).

2 hours ago, Nick said:

It’s simple maths 

nick 

DB states that increase in ST money does not necessarily mean increase in player budget, presume budget set and poss more in emergency as last season.

2 hours ago, rdj said:

Starting with recovering the average number of fans we lost from 2017/18 (1,720) to 2018/19 (1,553).

That figure is prob skewed by decent away followings last season compared with the previous , we played all the well supported teams on a sat this season rather than midweek 

Not sure 

we were so bad mid season some people stopped coming or came less 

then we also had three home game in a week and 60 quid was too much 

that is 30 percent of this years season tickets 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

DB states that increase in ST money does not necessarily mean increase in player budget, presume budget set and poss more in emergency as last season.

1000 tickets is 160,000 after Vat 15percent of our total spend 

500 at a game paying 20 quid is 8000 after vat...  big impact 

2000 tickets is 320,000 after vat or about 30 per of budget 

it takes a a lot of season tickets to make an impact 

nick