Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Commercial activities at the shay

26 posts in this topic

We are frequently told that the club receives no money from match day catering and commercial activities at the shay.  it all goes the council and towards the running cost of the stadium which is making a loss. 

So we find ourselves in the strange setting of the club (S) receiving no benefit and the council making a loss. 

As a result the club does little to nothing  to promote the match day facilities and absolutely zero to develop them 

isn’t it about time that the club and council got together and agreed that over an agreed base they could share the revenue 

we might then see the development and improvement of the match day experience 

this would bring in more supporters and more money benefiting the club and the tax payers of Halifax 

it seems logical to me 

so therefore it’s a daft idea to those in control 

nick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nick said:

As a result the club does little to nothing  to promote the match day facilities

Really?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they do a lot ?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine that the main loss suffered by the council is in loan repayments and all income helps to lower the impact of this .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick said:

So they do a lot ?? 

The matchday experience in the banqueting suite is promoted . The other drinks and food bars are very visible by their presence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s usually not full most match days 

yet when we were using temporary accommodation while the east stand was being developed and were were in the glue leagues we sold out all the time 

and yes there is food bars etc.. 

but how many town supporters head down to the ground at 1pm on a Saturday to have a great time before or even after the game :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d go down every week if I could eat my snap in a portacabin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The annual loss is peanuts considering the value to the community. The clubs and other ancillary businesses bring employment and visitors to the town, which is a value often not considered by accountants, but even given that, what was the loss last year, about £40k? It's a lot of money don't get me wrong, but compared to the money wasted by the Council it's nothing. I'm convinced the Shay could be self-sufficient if the right people were running it.

As for the club, I'm sure there are things they could do to earn extra cash on a matchday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Nick said:

So they do a lot ?? 

There is a lot more they could do, but they certainly do not do little to nothing.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Three categories to choose from

Nothing 

A little 

A lot 

 

Edited by Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

The annual loss is peanuts considering the value to the community. The clubs and other ancillary businesses bring employment and visitors to the town, which is a value often not considered by accountants, but even given that, what was the loss last year, about £40k? It's a lot of money don't get me wrong, but compared to the money wasted by the Council it's nothing. I'm convinced the Shay could be self-sufficient if the right people were running it.

As for the club, I'm sure there are things they could do to earn extra cash on a matchday.

Agree 40k is not huge but that is after a bit of self charging for council use of space 

but to me this is not about what it looses 

its about what it could add .. and it would add a lot more if the clubs could get some benefit to that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, scampyharris said:

I’d go down every week if I could eat my snap in a portacabin!

You might do if there were better facilities 

open to all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick said:

You might do if there were better facilities 

open to all 

A lot of fans simply cannot afford it unfortunately Nick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The banqueting experience is too expensive unless you are taking it as a matchday sponsorship package or you've got plenty of time and money to indulge pre match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

A lot of fans simply cannot afford it unfortunately Nick.

but many fans drink in town before a game .. what would it take to bring them down to the club instead 

we used to have a great social club 60/70’s 

sunday market on the car park 

how about organising tail gate parties before games 

developing better bar facilities 

not all the facilities are in use on a Saturday :) there are empty rooms in the east stand that could be used for various functions... 

even organising televising and showing some away matches at the club 

there is lots the club could do to develop the use of the east stand but what is the point if all the money goes to the council 

Edited by Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I'd imagine that the main loss suffered by the council is in loan repayments and all income helps to lower the impact of this .

My understanding the loss is before loan repayment ... but I could be wrong 

it’s all to do with running costs

nick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nick said:

My understanding the loss is before loan repayment ... but I could be wrong 

it’s all to do with running costs

nick 

Everything costs more to run in the public sector. It takes at least four people to authorise, source, order and accept delivery of a new biro.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Everything costs more to run in the public sector. It takes at least four people to authorise, source, order and accept delivery of a new biro.

It is bloody ridiculous. Councillor Stephen Baines knew this when he was Council Leader which is why he was keen on seeing the stadium lease return to a not-for-profit organisation rather than Council managed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick said:

We are frequently told that the club receives no money from match day catering and commercial activities at the shay.  it all goes the council and towards the running cost of the stadium which is making a loss. 

So we find ourselves in the strange setting of the club (S) receiving no benefit and the council making a loss. 

As a result the club does little to nothing  to promote the match day facilities and absolutely zero to develop them 

isn’t it about time that the club and council got together and agreed that over an agreed base they could share the revenue 

we might then see the development and improvement of the match day experience 

this would bring in more supporters and more money benefiting the club and the tax payers of Halifax 

it seems logical to me 

so therefore it’s a daft idea to those in control 

nick 

The stadium bars and food outlets are not run by the council but are franchised out so as a consequence neither club get's a penny from wet sales etc.

Of course they receive monies from people enjoying the matchday experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nick said:

Three categories to choose from

Nothing 

A little 

A lot 

 

What about another option, a reasonable amount. You've only given options to support your arguement.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

What about another option, a reasonable amount. You've only given options to support your arguement.

Of course 

but is really is about a little or a lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chadders said:

The stadium bars and food outlets are not run by the council but are franchised out so as a consequence neither club get's a penny from wet sales etc.

Of course they receive monies from people enjoying the matchday experience. 

Much more than the admission price ?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the replies so far 

I sense I am totally wrong, everybody thinks the club is doing a great job of using the east stand to its maximum benefit 

and the council is enabling the club to do that 

and that no further initiatives are needed 

live and learn :) 

nick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greater use = greater overheads = more cash generation required

Would actually prefer the club using mobile units that would carry small overheads and benefit the club 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chadders said:

The stadium bars and food outlets are not run by the council but are franchised out so as a consequence neither club get's a penny from wet sales etc.

Of course they receive monies from people enjoying the matchday experience. 

Presumably the Council are required to obtain tendered quotes which the best value franchisee then pays to the Council.

Presumably all above board and, in doing it this way, the concession bringing in the maximum amount to the Council.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0