Thinking Back - Thanks

88 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Hxmitch said:

Don’t remember the exact circumstances but weren’t Town upset over the way he joined Rotherham?

Yes I believe they claimed the young lad was poached but I can´t remember anything happening about it.

Wasn't he the lad they nicknamed Teflon because nothing ever stuck.

7 minutes ago, townmad said:

Wasn't he the lad they nicknamed Teflon because nothing ever stuck.

Think that was after a classic mistake at Spurs.

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • photo-1442.thumb.jpg.5a995d6944b02025cca
  • Members
  • 12,645 posts
6 hours ago, Shaymus said:

The only player prior to Vardy was Ernest 'Tim' Coleman, with Arsenal in 1932-33. Chris Nicholl never won a League Championship medal. 

I think one has crept through the net Shaymus........Vardy & ----- -----

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steve, sorry, I dont know the answer to your poser!!! It's a good one mate, but I bet someone will know??? But I was wondering, am I right or wrong in thinking either of Super Geoff or Bobby Davidson, or even both, played at least one match at the highest level???? Something definitely nagging me about Derby County and West Brom?????????

Edited 5 hours ago by Steve Lanzarote

7 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • Members
  • 12,645 posts

I think one has crept through the net Shaymus........Vardy & ----- -----

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steve, sorry, I dont know the answer to your poser!!! It's a good one mate, but I bet someone will know??? But I was wondering, am I right or wrong in thinking either of Super Geoff or Bobby Davidson, or even both, played at least one match at the highest level???? Something definitely nagging me about Derby County and West Brom?????????

Edited 5 hours ago by Steve Lanzarote

Bobby ( according to transfer mkt played 9) Super Geoff even without looking must have been close to 90/100

1 person likes this

Willie Carlin played a full Division One season with Derby County under Brian Clough

Shaymus may be able to confirm this story or correct me  Bobby Mimms was signed by Emlyn Hughes for £15,000 after he watched Bobby playing for Halifax Town Reserves who lost 7-0 to Rotherham 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

Willie Carlin played a full Division One season with Derby County under Brian Clough

Shaymus may be able to confirm this story or correct me  Bobby Mimms was signed by Emlyn Hughes for £15,000 after he watched Bobby playing for Halifax Town Reserves who lost 7-0 to Rotherham 

Willie won the second division with Derby then had his medal Stolen.

Posted (edited)

On 07/05/2019, 13:15:54, archietaylor7 said:

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • Members
  • 12,635 posts

How about some just home grown I´ll start off Malcolm Russell Full back. from Southowram.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Great Idea Steve, but apart from all the obvious ones already named I cant think of any!!! Well, one name comes to mind because he was a friend. I'm convinced a local Elland lad turned out for us in the 80's. Defender called Chris Gradon??? Possibly only played one game!!! Dont think it worked out for him. Can anyone throw any light on this???

Yeh I seem to remember him saying he played one reserve game for us in the late 70s early 80.

Elland painter and decorator who played local football for years.

Still plays 5 a side I think.

Edited by percy shaw

Peter Downsbourgh is from Siddal originally.

21 minutes ago, percy shaw said:

Peter Downsbourgh is from Siddal originally.

A lot of Downsbroughs in Siddal, often wondered if they were related to the Town footballer.

5 hours ago, Hxmitch said:

Don’t remember the exact circumstances but weren’t Town upset over the way he joined Rotherham?

I'm pretty sure Halifax Town were delighted with the deal. Emlyn Hughes offered £15,000 for a keeper who'd just played against Rotherham United Reserves in the North Midland League. Mimms never played a competitive game for Town. The only time I saw him in action was for a 1981 pre-season friendly with Huddersfield Town at The Shay (won 3-0 by Huddersfield), when the visiting supporters went on the rampage, forcing Town chairman Sam Rorke to claim he'd make The Shay like Alcatraz (which was designed to stop people getting out, so pretty similar I'd guess!). Anyway, Town got £15,000 for Mimms then spent £10,000 of that to bring in understudy to Peter Shilton at Nottingham Forest, one Lee Smelt. Two good deals in my book. Mimms played in eleven matches of Everton's title-wiining season of 1986-87, having played in the FA Cup Final defeat by Liverpool the previous season. Not sure whether he'd played enough games to qualify for a medal. He played in four matches when Blackburn won the Premier League in 1995. Technically, a former Halifax Town player, but never played a competitive game for the club, as I said above. Alan Waddle joined Liverpool, scored his only goal for the first team in his first Merseyside derby, and later won a European Cup winners' medal as a non-playing sub when Liverpool lifted the trophy in Rome in 1977. He had replaced Steve Heighway in the 3-0 second leg semi-final victory over Zurich. 

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

I'm pretty sure Halifax Town were delighted with the deal. Emlyn Hughes offered £15,000 for a keeper who'd just played against Rotherham United Reserves in the North Midland League. Mimms never played a competitive game for Town. The only time I saw him in action was for a 1981 pre-season friendly with Huddersfield Town at The Shay (won 3-0 by Huddersfield), when the visiting supporters went on the rampage, forcing Town chairman Sam Rorke to claim he'd make The Shay like Alcatraz (which was designed to stop people getting out, so pretty similar I'd guess!). Anyway, Town got £15,000 for Mimms then spent £10,000 of that to bring in understudy to Peter Shilton at Nottingham Forest, one Lee Smelt. Two good deals in my book. Mimms played in eleven matches of Everton's title-wiining season of 1986-87, having played in the FA Cup Final defeat by Liverpool the previous season. Not sure whether he'd played enough games to qualify for a medal. He played in four matches when Blackburn won the Premier League in 1995. Technically, a former Halifax Town player, but never played a competitive game for the club, as I said above. Alan Waddle joined Liverpool, scored his only goal for the first team in his first Merseyside derby, and later won a European Cup winners' medal as a non-playing sub when Liverpool lifted the trophy in Rome in 1977. He had replaced Steve Heighway in the 3-0 second leg semi-final victory over Zurich. 

Thanks for the information I remember now, makes me think how many players Town have had since 1959 when I started the addiction that still last although don’t get to the Shay as often as I would like living over 200 miles away.

percy shaw

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 869 posts
On 5/7/2019, 1:15:54, archietaylor7 said:

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • Members
  • 12,635 posts

How about some just home grown I´ll start off Malcolm Russell Full back. from Southowram.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Great Idea Steve, but apart from all the obvious ones already named I cant think of any!!! Well, one name comes to mind because he was a friend. I'm convinced a local Elland lad turned out for us in the 80's. Defender called Chris Gradon??? Possibly only played one game!!! Dont think it worked out for him. Can anyone throw any light on this???

Yeh I seem to remember him saying he played one reserve game for us in the late 70s early 80.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Yes Percy, that's the lad!!! I thought he'd played a 1st team game, but either way it's good to know I wasn't imagining it??

Edited 14 hours ago by percy shaw

9 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

percy shaw

•  
  • Members
  • 869 posts

________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Yes Percy, that's the lad!!! I thought he'd played a 1st team game, but either way it's good to know I wasn't imagining it??

Age hasn´t got the better of you yet Archie.

16 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

And one day he will learn how to quote properly:)

12 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

Think he is a bit past that Steve.:P

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • Members
  • 12,656 posts
58 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

percy shaw

•  
  • Members
  • 869 posts

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I see the new Royal Baby has been named after me now????

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • Members
  • 12,669 posts
On 5/9/2019, 9:28:17, steve lumb said:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Excuse me here Mr Lumb &Mr Lanzarote!!! But am I missing something here???? What is it that I'm missing with the "learn how to quote" comment?? I'm perplexed.

6 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Steve Lanzarote

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • Members
  • 12,669 posts

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Excuse me here Mr Lumb &Mr Lanzarote!!! But am I missing something here???? What is it that I'm missing with the "learn how to quote" comment?? I'm perplexed.

You should try reading your quotes on my phone ! Normally sail straight past them to save myself the trouble

1 person likes this

On 08/05/2019, 13:20:13, francisfirth said:

Did he not have one appearance in a friendly or cup game or something? 

Pretty sure that Mimms played in goal for us against Everton in Tony Geidminitis' testimonial.  The Everton team that day was even less star-studded than ours (though I think they still beat us 1-0).

On 08/05/2019, 19:27:58, Hxmitch said:

Thanks for the information I remember now, makes me think how many players Town have had since 1959 when I started the addiction that still last although don’t get to the Shay as often as I would like living over 200 miles away.

Do you watch Lowestoft, Mitch? Jake Reed is a very good striker at that level.

Wiki says 

Robert Andrew Mimms (born 12 October 1963) is an English former footballer. As a player, he was a goalkeeper from 1981 until 2001 notably for Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League when the club won the title in 1995. He also played as a professional for Halifax TownEvertonRotherham UnitedNotts CountySunderlandManchester CityAberdeenTottenham HotspurCrystal PalacePreston North EndYork City and Mansfield Town. He was goalkeeping coach at Hull Cityuntil January 2017.

John Brier struggled to start with but turned into solid player for us, I think he was a local lad

2 hours ago, Homer Gain said:

Pretty sure that Mimms played in goal for us against Everton in Tony Geidminitis' testimonial.  The Everton team that day was even less star-studded than ours (though I think they still beat us 1-0).

I believe it was 0-0 and was a testimony for Tony Geidmintis 12th May 1981 but I can’t confirm if Bobby played that game or not.