Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Disappointing

106 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Similarly you don’t visit the Amazon warehouse every fortnight.

Well, if we're going to start talking nonsense, how about 'gnickers'?

Having run a shop business for last 6 years I know the costs involved, and I think they have done a great job securing the Harvey’s deal for merchandise.

I agree it's a good thing, I've said as much a few posts back. But not everyone knows its there, it gives the club a presence in the town centre but a tiny, tiny one, and one that doesn't allow the club to offer a decent-sized range of merchandise. One anecdote. Sat in the Goose or whatever it's called, talking to my dad's best mate who was born down south but has lived in Halifax most of his life. He's a rugby fan at heart but does on occasion go to see a Town game. He had no idea you could buy shirts at the Shay and no idea they were on sale in Harveys, literally 15 yds away cross the road. I set him straight, but he's someone who attends games and didn't know.

Tickets sales are from The Shay like every other football club. The rest of us can manage with the internet. 

That's fine and dandy if you can do either of those things easily. But plenty people can't.

The choice is pay a landlord or pay a player, which is it?

No it isn't at all. Hyperbole.

Edited by Hoddie

7 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Taking rent, rates and utility costs minimum £20,000 per year. I’m assuming staff are either volunteers or existing staff relocated so no additional cost there.

I understood exactly what you were talking about, don't be obtuse, I just disagree with your analysis that the existing outlets cover all bases.

I also disagree with your assertion that such an enterprise would cost a minimum of £20k. You can get a market stall in the Borough Market for less than £6k per year, and with a bit of prep and creative (legal) accounting, you could qualify for all sorts of relief for small businesses and be able to claim licencing costs from the parent company. Even if it costs £20k to run - which it wouldn't - how do you know the club would need to double its sales in order to justify the project - commercial income isn't specified by the club's abbreviated accounts?

It's blanket assertions and assumptions like this that stops the club moving forward.

I think it’s important in the fickle world of modern day football to have a bit of stability. To stay in this league was an achievement. Let’s build on it next season. 

On 29/04/2019, 06:35:22, Hoddie said:

I understood exactly what you were talking about, don't be obtuse, I just disagree with your analysis that the existing outlets cover all bases.

I also disagree with your assertion that such an enterprise would cost a minimum of £20k. You can get a market stall in the Borough Market for less than £6k per year, and with a bit of prep and creative (legal) accounting, you could qualify for all sorts of relief for small businesses and be able to claim licencing costs from the parent company. Even if it costs £20k to run - which it wouldn't - how do you know the club would need to double its sales in order to justify the project - commercial income isn't specified by the club's abbreviated accounts?

It's blanket assertions and assumptions like this that stops the club moving forward.

Not being obtuse at all.

For six years to July last year I owned a retail business. My numbers are real numbers not pretend.  A store in a good position with footfall, rent will be double or treble the Borough market rent you quote. My rates were £6k but with small business allowance this dropped to £1k, FCHT are not a small business and would not qualify, I’m surprised your suggesting it could be otherwise. Insurance cost me £1k but I was in the Calder Valley, Halifax will be cheaper, add utilities to that and you have done ok if you are under £20k.

As for needing to cover expenses by achieving sales of double, well Margins do differ, but on clothing 50% margin or thereabouts would mean sales of £40k are needed to pay expenses of £20k. 

Good luck with it.

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Not being obtuse at all.

For six years to July last year I owned a retail business. My numbers are real numbers not pretend.  A store in a good position with footfall, rent will be double or treble the Borough market rent you quote. My rates were £6k but with small business allowance this dropped to £1k, FCHT are not a small business and would not qualify, I’m surprised your suggesting it could be otherwise. Insurance cost me £1k but I was in the Calder Valley, Halifax will be cheaper, add utilities to that and you have done ok if you are under £20k.

As for needing to cover expenses by achieving sales of double, well Margins do differ, but on clothing 50% margin or thereabouts would mean sales of £40k are needed to pay expenses of £20k. 

Good luck with it.

I'll overlook the slightly condescending "my numbers are real numbers not pretend" and deal with the substance of what you say. The fact is that Town don't need a store in a good position, they don't even need a shop front, just a store that is - outside matchdays - more accessible than the Shay. It doesn't have to be in Woolshops or on the precinct, a stall in the Borough Market would be perfectly fine. By the way, I also used real numbers because I checked how much currently vacant stalls were being offered for.

It's just another example of "the club isn't doing it so it must be a bad idea" despite the fact that it has proven successful in the past. The club's old accountant once showed me (and Gav) the books which clearly showed the Directors were able to use the club shop as a cash cow to cover all sorts of bills. Thankfully the club is better run nowadays but if nothing else, it shows that profits were being generated - as did the old club's accounts.

FCHT is indeed a small business according to many government departments, but regardless, I would suggest setting up a company wholly owned by the club which would open up all sorts of tax and other advantages to lessen the impact of the costs involved. I've been self-employed pretty much since leaving school and have been involved in a couple of private companies so I know the type of things that are available - they change all the time depending on the government of the day but there's usually something targeted at helping small companies, particularly at the outset of a business.

1 person likes this